View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hillsfar anyone??

greetings to all!

jus wanted to stop by the d&d forums ta see if any one has ever heard of the d&d game Hillsfar...it was for the nes system and it was pretty cool...

if anyone knows about this game posta reply...

thanks

-porter

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Sun May 15, 2005 3:42 am
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Now that was a loooong time ago ... can`t say I realy liked it. The silly overland-travelling where you have to jump over obstacles with your Horse or the time-limit in Dungeons ... Graphics where just ugly - except the female Thieves you could hire but that would remove the only cool feature in the Game - Lockpickig (there was a enlarged Picture of the Lock and you had to choose the right Lockpicks to apply - I guess that was the most realistic Simulation for Lockpicking ever The Arena and the "Bow-Range" (with Highscore !) were nice Ideas though ...
Post Sun May 15, 2005 7:00 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hillsfar for the PC alowed you to play your Pools of Radience characters and then switch them back. It was a interesting attempt at making a computer D&D action game, but I didn't get to play it too much: Pools of Radience was so much more fun. I have it on CD-ROM along with all the Gold Box games.
LB
Post Sun May 15, 2005 12:50 pm
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

yo

wow, the replies here are deffinetly faster than the ones on the wiz board.....

ahh, you have brought back so many memories for me by discribing the game....i also seem to remember that each class of character had his own guild that hae had to go to and complete quests for....

i admitt the graphics where very silly.....and the horse thing was sorta cheesy....but all in all i loved/love this game to death.....

pools of radiance was very good too.....i had both for the nes console but they both burned up in a fire.....along with my concosle

ha ha....i also seem to remember you could go into the bars n offer to armwressle people, and you could also buy everyone a round of drinks....aswome....

thanks

-porter

p.s. any one ever heard of the Kings Feild series for ps/ps2?

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Sun May 15, 2005 7:48 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Pools of Radiance had a lot of fun options that were dropped for later games in the gold box series... including the ability to take town hall by force. That was fun.

Hillsfar I wasn't a fan of, really. Some of the mini-games were fun but all in all I prefered the turn based party combat of Pools of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds. On the C64 version my friend and I found a bug that let us transfer characters back and forth and add stats each time so we ended up with straight 25s (or higher... but funny things happened when you passed 25.)

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 18, 2005 12:39 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

I remember in Pool of Radiance how you could transfer items to other characters, then not save the character that the items were transferred from. This way you could copy items that you found. Find a Girdle of Giant Strength, now everyone has one In later gold box games, they let you makes copies of characters - much easier way to copy their items!

I don't remember the bug to add stats. I just remember being able to copy the book of constitution (I don't remember its real name) to get 25s in Constitution.
Post Wed May 18, 2005 6:27 pm
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

ah

gotta love that old school stuff...

keep it comin guys!

thanks to all!!

-porter

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:23 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Problem with going from Pools of Radiance to Curse of Azure bonds was Curse had new character classes like the Paladin and Ranger which completely outclasses the generic fighter class. I think I only transfer 2 characters from pools to azure (via hillsfar for the +1 max HP and the wand of magic missiles - rod of blasting converts to one if i recall rightly) and that was a pure cleric and a pure mage.

I actually got Hillsfar before pools and azure and I think it was my first D&D game (on c64), I must have clocked it with every character class like 3-4 times.
Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:05 pm