Blade of Darkness is Cool!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Blade of Darkness is Cool!

In my quest to totally ignore Gothic 2 until I am actually PLAYING it I went to check out some new games and picked up Blade Of Darkness from the bargain section.

I remember that Gig mentioned she dug this game a while back and several comments about Enclave (which I liked) always mentioned .."but the combat was nowhere near BOD.."

So I decided to check it out.

It was rough going at first because the default control scheme is confusing and the character responsivness is a bit clunky. But now that I have remapped the controls and sort of got used to the fact that I can't strafe in non-combat mode --- I'm starting to really like the game.

I am playing a Knight now and am on the Island level that has the tower. I am level 12 and have a copule of combos learned quite well. My favorite combos so far are the North Cross, "The Dream" with the Elf Sword, and the "Vampire Attack" with the Queens sword (which I just learned). Still trying to get the hang of aiming those arrows, though.

Let me tell you, I have never seen a more detailed simulation of swordplay than what this game offers. Bad ass combos, gore galore, blocking, dodging, stamina bookeeping,etc. Great stuff.

I guess its more action really than RPG, but at least there is some form of advancement and you do keep a consistent inventory througout the game.

Well anyway, just wanted to thank those who mentioned the game for the recommendation. It seems like I've got even more gameplay in store because I have yet to play the other 3 characters.

Now I'll restate what I mentioned in the Enclave thread.. If only there was a true CRPG with the combat detail we see in this game. It doesn't necesarilly have to have ALL the combos -- but at least some sense of finer control over your character during combat. For those who don't like this mix there could also be an option to make things more "automatic" if you know what I mean.... Gothic has this to some extent but it is not full blown.

I know its easier said than done. As a developer you have to make a choice as to where you are going to put your efforts, but given a huge budget and lots of talent, who knows what could be acheived?
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:26 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Great you like the game!

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
If only there was a true CRPG with the combat detail we see in this game. It doesn't necesarilly have to have ALL the combos -- but at least some sense of finer control over your character during combat.

I second that and wish the magic system from Arx were added to the "perfect" game you are speaking of.

BTW, I hope you are not overlooking your character's abilities (that is generic combos that work with a class of weapons) - with a right weapon they can be more powerful then any combo you are able to perform especially in the beginning-middle of the game..
(I am thinking of the sweet "shredder" attack for my Barberian ).
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:58 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I played through Blade with the Amazon and it was great! An armor clad amazon with a heavy naganata--now that's girl-power!
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:37 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Great you like the game!

quote:

BTW, I hope you are not overlooking your character's abilities (that is generic combos that work with a class of weapons) - with a right weapon they can be more powerful then any combo you are able to perform especially in the beginning-middle of the game..
(I am thinking of the sweet "shredder" attack for my Barberian ).

Oh definitely. I did mention the "North Cross" and I'm also trying to get the timing just right on "The Ripper" and the "Hawk".
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:43 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I have to agree, I really liked BoD and wish that more crpg's would use similar combat systems. I was hoping Gothic would be like that. I remember heads flying off during combat in BoD. Don't remember that happening in Gothic. But, even before BoD, Die by the Sword had a similar combat system(limbs flying off during combat), even though it was action/adventure and not a crpg. For me, I want as much realism as possible during combats, and when swords and similar medieval weapons are being used, limbs can go flying.
Another thing I just remembered is that when I was first getting into Everquest, I was wishing they'd have a similar combat system to DBtS or BoD, but unfortunately, no limbs or heads flew in that game.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:32 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

I like the Amiga - Ambermoon Soundtrack

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/unexotica/games/Ambermoon.html

use the DELI-Player for playing the tunes:

http://www.deliplayer.com/

you can find the famous Xenon 2 Megablast songs here, too.

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/unexotica/games/Xenon_2_-_Megablast.html
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:16 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by HiddenX
I like the Amiga - Ambermoon Soundtrack

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/unexotica/games/Ambermoon.html

use the DELI-Player for playing the tunes:

http://www.deliplayer.com/

you can find the famous Xenon 2 Megablast songs here, too.

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/unexotica/games/Xenon_2_-_Megablast.html

huh?
Post Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:31 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@HiddenX: Wrong thread.
Post Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:28 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

ups - my post belongs to the rpg-music thread
Post Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:34 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Blade of Darkness is pretty cool, yeah. But its pretty hard too, fighting more than one enemy is pretty much impossible if i remember right. Anyway, maybe I should install it again.
Post Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:54 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Blade's one of my favorite games. I've had it installed ever since it came out. Especially fun to load up the Gladiator mod and go in to improve one's skills. It is tough to fight multiple enemies, but you can make the fights easier in a couple ways. Lure enemies to doors or narrow places, where their numbers are useless and you have the advantage in one-on-one combat. Get footwork and dodging down! If you master those two, you don't even need to use your shield much. I used the king's shield through much of the game, even though it had meager resistance and I liked the +1 to power it offered, besides looking cool. I relied on footwork to get me in and out of enemy range. It can also help to snipe an enemy with the bow. Another one is to master certain attacks like the hawk or the spinning one for the dwarf. These make good group attacks if you can pull them off. My play style with the knight was mostly hit and run attacks, move in when I felt there was an opening, strike with the two crosses or the ripper, and dodge out. Or move in when an enemy taunts you, and kill them with a good northern cross. Helps to have jump set to your right mouse button, so you can respond quickly.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:40 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

An addendum to my thoughts about the game...

I am now level 17 and am at the "Forge of Xan...??" level. It's the one with all the lava.

This game is *difficult*. I found myself saving *during* battles to get
past some of the harder fights (esp. those with multiple tough enemies).

I wouldn't mind so much if there were more potions or opportunities to increase your health in each level. Too often I find myself fighting bosses or multiple opponets with my health dangerously low. It would also help if more power potions were available to balance things out.

Right now I am about to fight the two minatours that lower those guys into the lava. Each one has 13,000 hit points. I am down to about 500 health and I don't know how I'm going to beat these guys in this confined space. I would feel much better about it if the character control wasn't so clumsy. Similar games like Rune had MUCH smoother controls than this...

I still like the game, but its faults have become more apparent as I progress towards the end...
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:08 am
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

i love this gam, i really wish they had finished blade of darkness 2.

as regards the difficulty, i think it might of benefited from having a easy setting, especially when fighting little man in a monsters body at the end

to beat the minotaurs the trick is always be on the move, they are quite slow, also if you can get them close together they can hurt each other with each swing!
Post Mon May 19, 2003 4:32 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

HELP!

I installed the game, im playing as a dwarf. Im at the tomb place, I have fought the burning skelleton boss, he was hard enough! I continued and now im supposed to kill ANOTHER boss that have 4000 HP and is twice my size! Oh well, im a dwarf, but still. My HP is really low, I couldn't find any potion, not even food. How am I supposed to kill this monster?
Post Fri May 23, 2003 10:12 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I've heard prayer really helps in those situations.
Post Fri May 23, 2003 10:44 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next