Usergroups
Lost Interest
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Cloaked Figure
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hmmm, All I can say is Im sick of waiting, But I waited longer for Morrowind, And was disapointed. So anyways ill buy when it comes out, But my world does not revolve around Gothic 2.

Im Gonna injoy playing Freelancer for now, And then Star Wars Galaxies and or Shadowbane.

Your Freindly Neighborhood Lunatic

"Women You can't live with them, And they hate it when you Violate small furry animals with a Jagged Stick."
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:44 pm
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

C'mon guys, get real. You must not have been gaming very long if you haven't seen some games get pushed back week, months, sometimes YEARS! Now, in this case, it IS particularly annoying, because the game is for all intents and purposes, done. But, for whatever reason, JoWood is dropping the ball. Does that mean I want to play the game any less? No. After playing the demo, the only way I won't get it, is if it doesn't come out. And even then, I may just order the German version and use a text translator to translate the subtitles for me, much like what was done for the demo! So, to recap, delays suck, yes, but they are as much a part of computer gaming as bugs and patches!
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:38 am
Althalus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Am I still intersted in gothic2? Defintely, my interest in the game wasn't so superficial as to be dampened by something as irrelevant to the game itself such as release dates. Gothic2 is still gothic2, same as it was last november, sequel to the one of the best pc rpgs of recent years. I really think some of you guys are just basically being petty and vindictive rather than having lost interest in the game.

Does anybody actually care about the games themselves anymore or is just a bunch of politics and crying over release dates? I really don't understand the hangup "hardcore gamers" everywhere seem to have with relase dates personally. Its seems everybody cares about everything except the games themselves thesedays.

Maybe JoWood is a bad publisher like people here claim...I don't know (and don't really care), I tend to think of that as PBs problem rather than mine. Just so long as gothic2 actually makes it out and the english translation is of good quality, thats all I care about. And if it doesnt come out...well then I can't give them my money and again I see that as Jowoods problem, not mine. They have a customer here for when it happens.

As for right now its time for some freelancing and a bit of Toe Jam & Earl 3 I think....
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:19 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Last edited by Lysander on Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:00 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by superdarkdude
Games get pushed back all the time, just for instance Tron 2.0 just got pushed back till almost the end of the year (I think), anyway, a substantial amount of time, but does that mean I will lose interest? I don't THINK so, I'll still be first in line waiting when it comes out

Tron's release date was changed because it wouldn't have been ready. G2 English has been ready for months.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:04 am
Locoman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The problem with pushing back the release date is...

Jowood missed an opportunity to really capitalize on all the attention Gothic 2 was getting on the Internet gaming sites after the German release. Gothic was poorly marketed in the US - the only retail chain I could find the game at was Circuit City. I saw no advertising for Gothic, and if I hadn't read a Gothic preview on Gamespot, I probably wouldn't even have looked twice at the sale price for Gothic in the Circuit City weekly ad.

At this point, it sounds like Jowood will rely on word of mouth to advertise the game, but interest has died except among people who are already Gothic fans. If the game is done, why couldn't they have inked a deal with another publisher to help them advertise and distribute the game? It's probably too late now. I only hope I will be able to buy Gothic 2 at a local store here in the US when it is finally released here.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:34 pm
Cathbad
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Now aren't I happy I can get the German version? And why do you people always have to start a thread on your opinion, which, in reality, nobody really wants to hear? Why don't you just start sending e-mails to yourself? Oh, and of course the game wasn't known here, the english version came out like a year later, heck, even in Germany nobody was even INTERESTED in Gothic before it received all the awesome reports. Most people had never heard of it.

Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:08 am
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hmmmm..... Cathbad let's see..... We post our opinions because this is a 'forum' for opinions, comments, ideas, etc. Instead of berating US for posting here, why don't YOU go elsewhere? If I'm not mistaken, your comment would be considered 'trolling', which is generally not appreciated.
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:17 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Cathbad only expressed an opinion similar to Gig´s and mine. All this whineing is completely unproductive. It changes nothing and in most cases it does not advance the discussion.
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:02 pm
Cathbad
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well i don't really see why it would interest most people who lost interest, i could have understood if if that person had asked for agreement. I didn't mean to sound rude, but it just seemed a little nonsensical. And I wasn't posting against the US since I myself am a US citizen, and most topics in this forum are generally very useful, it was just that I didn't agree to why a thread like this should be opened. And thank you for the support Gorath
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:12 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: The problem with pushing back the release date is...

quote:
Originally posted by Locoman
Jowood missed an opportunity to really capitalize on all the attention Gothic 2 was getting on the Internet gaming sites after the German release. Gothic was poorly marketed in the US - the only retail chain I could find the game at was Circuit City. I saw no advertising for Gothic, and if I hadn't read a Gothic preview on Gamespot, I probably wouldn't even have looked twice at the sale price for Gothic in the Circuit City weekly ad.

At this point, it sounds like Jowood will rely on word of mouth to advertise the game, but interest has died except among people who are already Gothic fans. If the game is done, why couldn't they have inked a deal with another publisher to help them advertise and distribute the game? It's probably too late now. I only hope I will be able to buy Gothic 2 at a local store here in the US when it is finally released here.

I agree with most things you said. JoWooD missed an opportunity. And it would have been better to find a local partner. Every 2nd grade North American publisher (Strategy First, to name only one) has far more grip on this market.
Availability during the first 4 weeks will be low. If you want it on release date you should preorder.
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:17 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I agree with Cathbad. This is a worthless thread created for the purpose of whining, and I am embarrassed to contribute to it. If you don't want to buy G2, don't, and keep it to yourself. Belly-aching doesn't help G2 come out sooner, and I bet that you guys go out and buy it anyway.
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:05 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Well said.
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Enough.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:16 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3