Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
They're changing the controls for G2.......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
The Golden Mage
City Guard
City Guard

I thought the combat controls were fine, and the invetory (spelling I think), was fine, but the shop controls was horrible. I want them to change the shop controls and leave everything else alone. Also the controls were easy it only took tell the time I was at old camp the first time (bout 5 mins) to get a hang of them.
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:16 pm
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

I agreed. The shop control is a real problem. Not only does it take a long time to move the items, but the game sometimes slows down a lot when a hugh amount of ore is assigned to trade. I hope this problem will be fixed in G2.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:41 pm
Kuplo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

All I can say, is good riddance...... I hate the controls in Gothic, they are clumsy and akward at best. The game is great, but the controls were one of the worst put into a game.

Personally I think they may need to just dumb down the controls or make them more like the controls for Diablo II, very few games should require you to use the wasd keys to walk around, thats totally akward at best, point and click is a great control scheme, Diablo II had you chase your mouse (which is my preference) and Dungeon Siege has a point click and your character walks there (second best choice), but using wasd or the cursor keys is just plain bad.

Actually now that I think about it, Morrowind actually has the worst fighting controls, with their whole hold down the left mouse button longer and you'll strike harder at the sake of wearing yourself out quicker (absolute worst).

Theres so much they could do with Gothic 2, and altering the controls (which by the way is a popular concensus of the gaming community that gothics were pretty bad) would be a really good thing.

With properly designed controls, you should not need any learning curve above 5 minutes, they should be intuitive, gothic 1's were not that.

All I really want is a bigger world, and something a whole lot less linear....'
'
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:47 am

Kuplo, that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Who the hell wants point and click controls in a third person view adventure game?!? Then you wouldn't have full control over your character!
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:01 am

Problem with controls

I think the main problem with Gothic controls is the fact to have to press TWO keys for any action. Is great to be able to do 3 different attacks with the sword pressing the left/right/up keys, but why control(or action) + a key? Plus that, is really messing when those keys are the same ones that are used for character movement. If you move using WASD format, then, when the weapon is ready, arrow keys, and only the arrow kays could be to perform the attacks, and if arrow keys are used to move, then WASD can be used to attack/parry. One hand for a diferent action, not only one to keep control pressed. And the same goes for picking up things or using anything, the probelm is not in using only the keyboard, it is into having to press control + up, set a key to 'action' and only one.

Just my 2cents.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:03 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I agree with our distinguished Guest up there. Using a point and click scheme only works well in top-down view games. In a 3D adventure/action/RPG game you want more control over your character and you can't do that with only a mouse. Would you only play an FPS with just a mouse? No. How will you do all the combos and complex moves? AI? But then where is your imersion? I was never really imersed in Diablo II or the Dungeon Siege Demo. All I did was point at monsters and click. That's the most boring game style ever created!
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:33 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

NO WAY Gothic should not get Diablo II controls that would be worse shjit i ever heard.Then the game is like for little children who still dont know how to control the main character on a fighting time.Imo Diablo II had the worst controls there its so simple all just go to a monster and click on the mouse button and the monster is dead...naah never want this.And the this action and up problem thats no problem at all imo it makes the gaming even more better and intresting.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:39 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Add me to the list of folks who don't like the mouse follow control scheme very much. I think Dungeon Siege and Vampire could have been so much better in with a WASD control system.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:46 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

first of all....this discussion is kinda dumb....you all know you can alter the controls to your liking right? I just go to settings and mess around with them a bit if I don't like how the controls are set up. Like asdf or whatever in morrowind....I changed it to the arrows next to the num pad. Its not that hard people.
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:08 am
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I also hate point-click movement. I beta tested D2 and was one of three people who were griping about it.

Anyway, at one time I would have said "screw the old controls." But the G1 controls have grown on me...if they change anything except the inventory or the shop I might need to start sharpening my sword...
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:23 pm
Joseph
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The only thing i hate in G2 is the blocking.
You must have cat-reflexes to block an attack and you couldn't block monsters. I can't belive it,how could they ruin the great hit-block-hit tactic?
I'll miss it very much
Post Wed May 21, 2003 7:46 pm
Icewind
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

They're not changing the controls .
In the options screen you can switch between the old control mode and the new control mode .The new mode is bad because you just click with your mouse and can't do any combinations .I prefer the control + left /right ,with this combination i won all fights
Gothic 2 is
Hope you will get it soon
btw: my english vocabulary is not very good , hope you could unterstand it
Post Mon May 26, 2003 5:25 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

well, since the contorls are customisable now, I'll stick with the old combat system, but the new inventory is alot better to control. However browsing it is a bitof a pain, you can't put your items into categories
Post Mon May 26, 2003 10:32 pm
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

If they broke up the new inventory system into categories (armor, weapons, etc....) then it would be perfect. the new block design will work out much better thatn the old line system. But as Irf so rightly put, searching the entire block can be a pain.
Post Tue May 27, 2003 12:12 am
Xardas_The_Necromancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well it shouldn't make such a big difference while you can easily go by these simple 3 step instructions: Go into options -> go into controls -> change it
Post Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:48 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4