FAQ
Members
Usergroups
good custom classes?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread

good custom classes?

since my PC a humoungus peice of shite, im waiting for morrowind on xbox, and theyve pushed its release date back literally 10 times so the anticipation is killing me. so iv basically been reading everything i possibly can about morrowind and decided to pass the time by pre-creating a custom class. so i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for skill combinations for a mage/warrior type other than the battlemage or spellsword and the best race for a mage/warrior type, or a mage/theif type
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:03 pm

Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

My Fav race is Breton, and fav major skill has to be speechcraft. But thats just me, do what you think you'll enjoy....Roleplay!
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:46 pm
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

My WhizBang

Race: Redguard
Sign: Um...Mage, I think.

Class: Whizbang
Specialization: Magic
Major:
Block
Long Blade
Heavy Armor
Mysticism
Enchant

Minor:
Restoration
Destruction
Illusion
Conjuration
Blunt Weapon

Drop conjuration, probably, should you use this character. I'd replace it with alchemy,provided you know how to make potions. The whole way to play this guy is the walking tank. Drop in on-strike damage, paralyze, and so on (enchantments, that is) onto your weapons. When you have them paralyzed, pull out some healing spells for yourself or a nifty damage spell to finish them off.

Motto of the Whizbang: If you hit them hard enough the first time, they won't be getting back up to hit you.

Enjoy.

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:10 am
bedwine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Like you I like to create my own class. I got my game early and there hadn't been much written on this subject so I started just about 10 different characters using different configurations to find the best possible for my style. My opinion is not to get too obsessed with creating your character. You will learn early on maybe you should have kept Conjuration instead of Illusion or whatever. Later on it probably won't matter. Enjoy the game and the exploration and wait utiil the second time around for making the perfect character. That being said I am currently

Level 50 Redguard
Combat

Major
Light Armor (might be a mistake but found heavy limits how much goodies I can carry home)

Armor (Supposed to help maintain armor but very hard to upgrade because I can't find a Master Trainer.)

Longsword (Clearly the best weapons seem to be swords)

Conjuration (Not much better than casting bound weapons and armor early on.) Later may be another matter.

Mystisism (I was guessing hear)

Minor

Block (I have read that block works well. I am only at level 62 block and can't find a trainer. I will be going to a Tomb and let a skeleton swing away at me all night while I sleep to wake up in the morning to a 100 rating but I need a shield that withstand his blows without breaking after 3 level ups)

Security ( I don't know why. I usually use an open spell to open locks. Much faster and with the robe of St regis taking damage from a trap is no problem) I might try playing without getting the Robe next time.

Enchant. ( I have read great things about enchant. I have yet to use much of it. I became rich early and just pay the hefty prices for enchanting items from an enchanter)

Alchemy (It is useful to be able to use potions early on. Personally I think this is a must but read my last statement on this subject)

Illusion (Because I didn't know what else to pick)

Notice that I did not use anything that ups my speed and agility. This is because I found by obsessing over characters that you can up your speed and agility by using bound boots and bound gauntlets through a exploitation bug or unbalance depending on perspective.

Also note that I did not have sneak. My first 100 level attribute was sneak because I wanted fast cash and stealing it seemed the way to get it quick. Using sneak in a misc skill I got all the benifits by raising to 100 other than the leveling up I would have gotten if I had used it in major or minor. It would have raised my agility and since I know I can up agility easily other ways I left sneak out. I got behind an merchant pushed a sneak button at just the right location and taped my keyboard down and went to bed. The next morning I had 100 sneak abitliy and could steal and pick pocket just about anything or anyone. Cheat maybe. But I did not use the console. There are a lot of exploitaions in the Game.

Let the Game be YOURS.
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:44 am
Snoog

Alright, if you're looking to go uber..
----------------------

Race: Whatever.

Sign: The Lady or the Mage.

Main Spec: Magic.

Primary Stats: Intelligence, Speed

Major Skills: Alteration, Athletics, Mysticism, Security, Weapon

Minor Skills: Armor, Sneak, Acrobatics, Conjuration, Speechcraft

--------------

Race doesn't matter, at all. By the mid to end game your equipment/questing will make up for your resists and bonuses, and the skill points are meaningless.

Most of the signs are pretty useless since you can easily substitute them with magic or equipment, or they're just worthless. The Lady is what I generally go with for the extra 50 stat points, but if you plan on casting a lot the Mage works.

Main spec is magic since magic skills are MUCH more of a pain to raise than combat or stealth skills (particularly the useful ones taken here).

Intelligence is sort of a pain to raise since only security is a modifier here, likewise with speed and athletics.

Major skills are the more useful ones that are generally more difficult to raise. Weapon is up to you, doesn't really matter, though I would probably avoid hand to hand. Long blade is probably the easiest to find good weapons for, though all weapons have good choices by the end game.

Minor skills are the skills that are easy to raise, or just not as useful in the case of conjuration and speechcraft. You could drop either and put in destruction, though if you do put that in major and move weapon down to minor. As for armor, like weapon it's up to you, but I'd avoid unarmored, and probably medium since there's very little in the way of nice medium armor.

Anyway, that's my uber template. One character to mid 30s and one to mid 40s now, and if I make a third to go through all 3 houses this is the template I'm going to use.
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:54 am