Please advise me:) Gothic?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

Please advise me:) Gothic?

Hello all'! I've finished Gothic 2 as both a Magician and Paladin now, am am in chapter 2 as a Mercenary. I'm *loving* this game! I have never played the original Gothic though.

If I buy and play Gothic now, after playing Gothic 2 for so long, do you think I'll be very turned off by the lesser graphic and gameplay? Or does it still kinda rock? And is the entire storyline of Gothic within the Valley of Mines? That single, one map? Wouldn't that make the game much shorter, or..?

It'd sure be interesting to see what the area used to look like.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:40 pm
Gaming-Module
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Lesser graphics? I thought Gothic 2 looked a little worse than Gothic 1 and it chugged real hard on my system, which is twice the system I used to run Gothic 1.

See this thread.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:46 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Make no mistake, the graphics in G2 are obviously superior to the first game. That being said though, G1's graphics are still good and I don't think the step down will distract you from an enriching game experience.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:53 pm
Kirkr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree, the graphics in Gothic 1 still look nice even after over a year. Turn the view distance up as far as it will go, and play at 1024x764 resolution at least.
The `Valley of Mines` area is slightly bigger in the first game than it was in the second I think.
The main thing that will take some getting used to in the first game are the controls (not as easy as in Gothic 2). e.g. you have to press the left button + the forward key to pick things up. Also the inventory screens feel a bit cumbersome at first.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:18 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

personally i perferred the g1 inventory setup it was much better than this 'blob' that they used for g2 it was more organized and you dont have to scroll through the massive amount of crap to get to your torches or books

but the gothic 1 world is much larger than what they used for the valley of the mines in gothic 2 its at least 2.5 times larger with the freemine and all the area behind the orc fence

i think youll still enjoy it
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:13 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehe u will really love the story i am sure in that and also graphics are cool u also get some nice Rice Schnapps and to talk with Mud u will soon find out who he is if u buy the game i recommand it but after u finish the game u get drugsick and i will search for more that kind of games at least i was so depressed like 2 weeks
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:37 am
D_Dog
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Very good game!

You should definitly buy the first Gothic if u loved Gothic 2.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:21 am