FAQ
Members
Usergroups
My First Impressions: I'm Free!!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

My First Impressions: I'm Free!!!!!

Have played for about 6 hours total, and have to say it is one of the coolest games I've played to date. This realization came when I caught myself almost posting a different thread, something like "Where's a good place for a noob to gain exp". I'm glad I didn't post it, because I got to thinking about what I've done so far (in 6 hours, I've already accomplished quite a bit, and have become totally immersed in my character and the world around me, but on the other hand, I can always tell that I have not even begun to scratch the surface!). I've read about it, I've heard about it, but this is my first taste of 'open-ended gaming', and I like what I'm eating. At first, I was still fighting the ingrained, hold-me-by-the-hand way of playing games; I was actually getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out what to do first/next, etc. It took me a bit to step back, and realize how cool it is to actually have to figure it out for myself ~~ the billion choices your constantly faced with can be overwhelming at first. But, I'm happy to say I am well passed *THAT*....I'm thinking my new found gaming-freedom kicks ass.

I have a P-4 1.3 GIG w/778 megs of RAM and a GeForce2 Ultra w/64 Ram. I don't remember what I've got my settings set to exactly; I set it once, and have been happy since. I do know I turned shadows on 'halfway' on the slider, and have noticed them a few times, with no dire consequences other than a cool looking effect. I haven't had a chance to play around with reso's, and the reso I'm using is just fine. I can say, however, that I have not crashed once in 6 hours. The only delay I have noticed was when I passed into different 'areas', and even those delays were about 4 seconds max. Very, very happy with the stability of this game so far. And very impressed, seeing as it was a massive endeavor to create.

Most of my happy points about the game have been hashed out already, here and in other forums, so I just wanted to get a quick blurb out there to let those who haven't given the game a try that it really is a very cool game.

I do, however, have one small complaint.....I'm going to qoute from on of my past replies, because it sums it up best. It is VERY difficult to tell how bad off your fighting opponent is while your in the middle of combat. There should be *some* way to tell if they're knocking on death's door, or just getting their second wind. I'm not sure if this was left out by design or not, but when looking at how conversations are handled, with a bar that tells you explicitly how the person you are having the conversation feels about you.....seems some equivelant system could have been devised to let you know how bad off your opponent is after a few swipes of the 'ole broadsword. Now, I've seen some replies stating you can tell how bad off the other guy is by how hard he's hitting you, as well as an animation that shows the badguy getting knocked down. I've been in some fights so far, and killed some folks, and have not seen this yet, so yes, if the enemy is showing some harm done, than I'm satisified. But, I still think it would have been cool to see more phycisal, visible attributes to the damage you lay down on a badie.

Other than this one problem, which is actually more of a combat game design that hasn't grown on me yet, this is the best game I've played in God knows how long.

NMN
Post Fri May 03, 2002 1:35 pm