Usergroups
Need advises on creating party in TOEE
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I finally found a copy of the demo ... kinda. It was pulled by request from Atari. A new version is to be available soon.

Kinda frustrating.

PS - I never did figure out how to find it using Kazaa ... but then the Kazaa software never finished installing on my machine ... dunno why, but it kept just hanging. Must be our company firewall. *shrugs* Who knows?
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:45 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
@val - I have never used Kazaa - do I need an account there? I popped in a little while ago to check the sight out and got lost in about 15 seconds, and did not feel like taking the time out to wade my way through all the words.

I don't use Kazaa, so I wouldn't know.
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:48 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
PS - I never did figure out how to find it using Kazaa ... but then the Kazaa software never finished installing on my machine ... dunno why, but it kept just hanging. Must be our company firewall. *shrugs* Who knows?

In the last version it's a bug, so wait for newer version or get a very old one.
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:33 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I've never had any trouble installing Kazaa so I can't comment on that. Once it's installed, ToEE is being promoted by Kazaa so when you start the program there's a banner ad for it - just click on it and then click on download.

This isn't a demo as such, though, it's a full working version with a time-limit. Being 800Mb+ it's a bit unwieldly. There was supposed to be a 220Mb actual demo (the moathouse with a preset party) released nearly 2 weeks ago. There was a problem with some missing art errors and it was delayed but Troika's comments made it sound like the delay would be a day or two...but I guess it will be along eventually.
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:06 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

My time trial ran out... sigh... hurry up review copy. Me want. Me want.

So far:

Story - Weak
Quests - Lame
Rules - Fantastic
Fun - Absolutely

Eyeballing this one based on first impressions at a rough 7X% for casual or first time D&D players, 8X% for D&D fans. Duality isn't a cool thing for mass appeal of a CRPG though. Naturally I'll have to complete the game before locking anything in stone... enough crashes and bugs or extremely easy or hard fights, as well as treasure level (over or under), can tip the scales way down... or up.

Oh, and familiars are horribly implemented. Yes, most wizards in D&D stick them in their pockets and just feed on the bonuses but stilll...

UNless I'm missing something there's no way to put it from your pocket into play as a scout...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:01 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Story - Weak
Quests - Lame
Rules - Fantastic
Fun - Absolutely

I would rate the game in exactly similar scores for story and quests, except:

Rules - I don't know much about the rules, i usually keep hitting and swinging at every monsters that show up until they all drop dead, or my whole party got wipe up...

Fun - I got most fun from character creation portion (i spent probably 6 hours just to build up my party), and then the combat aspect. It's not excellent, but very good, consider that you can spanking all kind of monster's butts - big, small, greenish, hairy(Oops!)...

As for the familiar:

I haven't use them much. Maybe it would be fun at early part of the game, but at higher level, as in my case, they drop dead very quickly (1-2 hits), so they're practically useless in combat. I summoned a Black Bear only to take away my enemies action points when they attacking them. You can selecting your familiar name, but i would careless since they die so quick, i just type randomly "www" or "lll"...
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:46 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Oh, and familiars are horribly implemented. Yes, most wizards in D&D stick them in their pockets and just feed on the bonuses but stilll...

Yeah, too bad eagles, bats, etc. can't scout and/or vipers, small spiders can't wreck a little havok on NPCs. ...at least the bonuses are there. However, craft wonderous item translated well. I recently created some gauntlets of ogre strength for my fighter, and that was too cool...

quote:

Story - Weak
Quests - Lame

Hmm, I'd rate these a little higher. I'm enjoying the atmosphere of the game and the characters are amusing. Maybe I'm just easily entertained.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:14 pm
Dhruin

I'd have to go with 'lame' for the quests. I just finished that ridiculous fed-ex mess in Hommlet with the widow and the carpenter and conversions (blah, blah) - I only did it for some XP and because I hate unfinished quests in the log.

The fun is in smacking things around. I'm off to the Temple...
Post Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:04 am
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
The fun is in smacking things around. I'm off to the Temple...

Well, there is a quest in Nulb that gets you tangled up with a behemoth kingfrog, a seahag, and a giant gar.

Post Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:52 am
Dhruin

Yes - I tried that one but my party can't cope with it yet (it's a fun idea, though). Nulb has much more potential than Hommlet but it's also quite empty - presumably because of things that WotC had changed/removed.
Post Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:39 am
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Yes - I tried that one but my party can't cope with it yet (it's a fun idea, though). Nulb has much more potential than Hommlet but it's also quite empty - presumably because of things that WotC had changed/removed.

Yeah, quests in Nulb are definitely interesting...at least compared with Hommlet. Except for the innkeeper quest, it's great fun catching ole Furnok cheating. Hommlet also has the "I'm not drunk, I'm Almo" line which catches a grin from me everytime. Still, too much fed-ex and not enough feel my unholy rage. Oh well, I guess that is reserved for the temple.

Post Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:38 am
Vival
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hommlet is indeed unbearable tedious. My evil party left it as soon as possible without doing any of the fedex quests. However with my party of disgusting do-gooders i managed to complete most of the boring mess and it was quite rewarding actually. I got a sword(kinda a low budget version of the holy avenger) that made my level 1 paladin unstoppable.
Post Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:26 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I am done. Spent most my time inside the Temple. Most challenging enemy would be the Balor, but in the end i figure out an easy way to kill him. The final boss is even easier, if you can summon Glablezur(sp?) and Balor to fight at your side.

I didn't do several quests at Homlet, since i can't stand them, and don't remember touching any quests at Nulb.
Post Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:40 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

- Remus

Did you enjoy the ending? Which party alignment did you use?

I'm a little slow. I've just entered the temple about 1000 exp points away from level 5. However, I did fool around with iron mode....and got stomped.

Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:03 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Spoilers.

My Party alignment - neutral.
My satisfatory ending:

Zuggtmoy killed and her spirit destroyed.

Temple of Elementals Evil abandoned and its remaining followers scattered to four winds.

The leader of my party, Dariya, marry to Laszlo, a herdsman in Hommlet and have many childrens.

Prince Thrommel rescued and marry to Princess Jolene. My party became a knights to the King.

Druids came to Hommlet and restore the balance of the nature.

Feldrin flees but got killed somewhere else.

Lareth is killed, Lloth sent many assasins for revenge but never succeeded.

Village of Nulb became ghost town after the fall of the Temple.

Hommlet grow into prosperous town.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:04 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next