Usergroups
2 Handed weapons...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

lol The extra weight would make for any little strength your single arm has.
I'd like to see stabs and head hits. It certainly doesn't take much perceived strength to knock a guy's head off with a 20lb blade.

It'd be a little much for the engine to calculate limb hits, so I wouldn't ask for that much. But at least stabs. Maybe for the 4th combo piece.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:49 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The engine could pull off limb dismemberment.

I wish the combat was as in depth as Blade of darkness's was, i could really see gothic having that sort of combat in it.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:35 am
D_Dog
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by FetishFool
lol The extra weight would make for any little strength your single arm has.
I'd like to see stabs and head hits. It certainly doesn't take much perceived strength to knock a guy's head off with a 20lb blade.

It'd be a little much for the engine to calculate limb hits, so I wouldn't ask for that much. But at least stabs. Maybe for the 4th combo piece.

Dude, U have no idea what ur talking about.
Taking of a head completly with one clean blow takes a lot of skill and strength. Not to mention that u need a lot of strength to hit another man's sword and not lose ur own grip on the weapon. There is a limit to most men strength, and U can't make up for it just by being strong.

Regarding the limb hits and cut off limes, it would certainly be nice.
Regarding the blade of darkness system - Don't forget that u have 100 times more enemies in Gothic than in Blade of Darkness, so a quicker battle system was required.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:31 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

what do you mean more enemies and more quicker combat was required?
gothics combat is essently the same "theme" as blade of darkness's was, and i even though bod's combat system could handle multiple enemies better than gothics does.

sucks to get surrounded by goblins and get killed.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:20 am
D_Dog
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I meant

that fights in BOD were longer than fights in Gothic. if every time u kill a wolf it would have taken u 30 seconds longer the game would be a real drag.
Maybe the BOD combat systme should have been used to enemies wielding weapons or something
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:10 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don’t think I’ve ever read about anyone lopping off someone’s head with a single blow, though I’m sure it happened from time to time in battle. Like D Dog said, the timing and precision of the blow makes it almost imposable. I did read in The Book of Five Rings (Go Rin No Sho) (I think) of a Samurai warrior cutting a man in half (diagonally from the shoulder to the waist) in one blow with a Dia-Katana. If you are interested in sword battles I highly recommend this book, but its not for everyone.

Sylvio
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:35 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

its not really your skill that determines wether you could chop off a persons head in 1 swing its the circumstaces, like his height compared to the height or your sword swing off the ground, or the sharpness of the blade, as well as the strength put into the swing, and the weight of the blade if the swing is going downward even the slightest bit, oh and if you guys didnt already knopw there is a 4th combo with 2 handers it a double slash from top right to bottom left then from top left to bottom right and he uses only 1 hand to hold the weapon
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:33 am
SilentSam
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

When you guys say that you 'are forced to train in both 1 and 2 handed weapons', what do you mean? I only have 30% in 1h, now it takes 10LP to get 5 more percent...if I train up my 2h will this LP ratio for 1h go back to 1:1? Or what do you guys mean?

Does this apply to bow/crossbows?
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:04 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

they put ihe game so tghat once your 1 and 2 handed skills get so far apart then the teachers start forcing you to learn in both i and 2 handed
and yes it applies to bows/crossbows
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:11 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

it depends of the enemy how strong he is if he is not strong then ur sword can chop the head off for real just think a sharp sword with a full speed hits right ur head
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:14 pm
LexXx
He who has no title
He who has no title

Is it true that when I train 1-handed my 2-handed skills are also becoming better and when I train 2-handed my 1-handed skills become better??
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:35 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Heh.. The games have always been far from reality. The 2H swords were made in the past for infantry to cleave off the riders on the horse. They're longer, heaveier, just the right thing to use on passing knight on the horse to knock him off the horse, hard. Once on the ground, the fight went on with 1H weapons. Plenty of historical museums here, have held different mediveal 2H swords in my hand these aren't something, what someone would swing for long during the battle. They had a certain purpose and use, but were not used 100% in combat.

But in games it doesn't matter, the chars swing 2H swords like they weight nothing. Heh, I mean, look even at the art and many female char models in many games - do you really think that the chain or wire bikini that chick is wearing protects her as much as the full plate protects the male char? Funny how one and same armor looks so differently on different gender chars in many games Fantasy games, fantasy armor and weapons, but doesn't really fit 100% with the reality. Which is OK, in a way, you play the games to rest from reality anyway
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:00 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

remember allways its Gothic world
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:24 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I also agree that if G2 made the combat system exactly like BoD... it really wouldn't be the same game any more. The focus of G2 isn't purely on combat. While they can certainly make combat more fun by having more moves and combos and stuff like that, importing the full BoD combat system would probably be a bad thing. The mix of combat vs. non-combat in G2 right now is perfect, don't turn this game into "Street Fighter 5 + running around picking up stuff".
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:30 pm
Wicked Noble
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

... Intresting
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:14 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next