How long will this game take to beat?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
sq[ ]re box
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How long will this game take to beat?

I just bought this game, and was wondering how long it takes to beat? I doubt it's anywhere near the length of Morrowind, but it seems like an absolutely wonderful game.

I was also wondering what lvl you can get to, and if you can join the 'travelers guild' and venture outside to differant cities? I've checked out lots of screen shots, and haven't seen anything like that, so I'm just curious.

Anyways, just wondering how long I'll be playing this game for...

Thanks.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:16 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's pretty short... (but not in an unsatisfying way - it won't leave you feeling short-changed). Sorry I can't give you a figure in hours, but it's ages since I played it and I don't want to be guessing. It's lots shorter than Morrowind, maybe about the same length as Deus Ex 2. The rules say you can reach level 10, but 9 was the highest I saw - might sound low, but by that time your chosen skills will be through the roof (you'll probably end up with your two most-used skills over 100) and you'll be very powerful in your field.

If you play as a fighter, you'll probably get through quicker than if you play as a thief/assassin... it takes a while longer to creep around and take out enemies without them noticing you (but thankfully, if you want to do that, you can - with very few exceptions). I was actually glad the game can be finished quickly, because I found that the gameplay was so varied (depending on character skills) that I wanted to go back and play again until I'd explored all the different playing styles. And I don't replay games very often, certainly not as soon as I complete them! A change in skills really does put a different slant on the gameplay.

As for the environment:
Spoiler:
It's all underground in Arx, you don't get to see any of the icy surface (shame). Well, there is one bit... open the doors next to the guard outpost near the tavern . And apparently the sequel is set long before the first game, before the sun got blocked out, so no Travellers' Guild antics there either - but it will feature above-ground settings as well as the Underworld-type environs. Hopefully Arkane will have continued success and we'll get to travel on the frozen surface in Arx 7 or 8?
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:00 am
sq[ ]re box
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, I'll probably end up playing this game a few times then too. I do wish it were a lot longer though - like somewhere around Morrowinds length. But oh well, it's too fun to complain - I love this game.

Thanks for letting me know.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:20 pm
brozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

So far I've played Arx twice, once as a warrior/barbarian, and once as a mage/thief. Both times I played, the game was very different, this game has excellent replay value. My first time (barbarian) took about 35 - 40 hours, my second time (mage/thief) was much longer, as I did every side quest and explored every nook and cranny of the game.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:35 pm