View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Gizmo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hello,
I love the ideas of MMPOGs. They are terrific
in concept and have great gaming potential.
However the only problem with them is when
you play from Australia the best ping
time you will get 700ms (To USA servers).
So after adding server lag it only gets
worse. And that for me makes the gameplay
terrible.
Will DAoC have servers in Australia?
Does anyone else agree?
Any comments?
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:31 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I have to agree. Lag stinks. I can remember it was the major problem with Meridian 59 and (later ) UO. But even a server close to you will always help. For me, for example, the european servers weren't faster than the US ones in UO.

It's your connection to the internet that is most important. You may have a provider with app. 200ms ping to the same server another provider has 800 ms to. There is no cookbook solution to this.

BTW, the DAoC launch seems to have gone rather smooth compared to recent online gaming deseasters we reported about. So far, I haven't heard an uproar *g*

Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:10 am
Garrett

As you all know by now, I do really hate MMORPG's. Reason is the lack of story and the open end ganeplay.

Can you please tell me, what is so enjoyable in online role playing? Please answer, I really want to know....
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 10:01 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Ok, I'll start . First of all I have to say that my love for MMORPG's really dried up lately.

I was one of the first persons to play UO (btw - this is where I got my nick from). I just wanted to try it out, actually, but instantly fell in love with the game. Why? because i was able to roleplay. And I was able to gather a group of other folks who liked to roleplay as well. We weren't powergamers, and powergaming was the thing that ruined my fun. I started out as a miner. Mining in minoc was a dangerous job then, because you had so many PK'ers going after you then. I decided to roleplay as a miner who wanted to do something for his fellow chaps, and more or less in a spiritual way. So I dropped all my belongings then and founded a secret organisation named "The Church of Steel" (with only one member, me *g*). I was without clothing, without gold, without ore when I started that. After that, all I earned through mining was given to others who were robbed and killed. By doing this, I found some people who joined my cause. We worked hard to find a safe way to mine ore - from ships in the vincinity of a small village northeast of Minoc. We shipped the ore to a small island, and processed ingots there. For that, we bought a house and a ship and our little Church of Steel prospered. We then bought a bigger house at Moonglow and set up our headquarter there. Our guild became noteable and respected. My greatest joy was to go mining and hunting, believe it or not, I never was to a dungeon during the time I played UO.

These times were fun. You had a mission, you had a game. Sure, you had PK'ers as well, but they fitted into the story. My affair with UO ended when about 90% of the people around there were power gamers, just doing everything to get perfect stats. I wasn't interested in competing, I was interested in roleplaying. I left the game about 2 years ago.

And that's my grief with MMORPG's today: They are made for powergamers. Social interaction is just a sidenote. 10000 people hunting monsters is nothing but an online version of Doom. MY MMORPG should have people interested in lurking around in taverns, people trying to play a role. Not everybody must be hercules on a rampage. Once you give me that kind of game, you'll have me playing MMORPG's again. I don't want to deal with kewl dudz and stuff like that - I want to deal with people interested in creating a world that lives and breathes. I now nobody thinks it is cool to play a fisherman, but if the whole virtual world is fitting, and if the people participating actually roleplay, this can be a lot of fun, too. For example, I'd love to play something like a cartographer, going on an expedition, but I am not interested in being the ultimate warrior. I have other fantasies than taht .

I don't know a game concept that would encourage roleplaying over pwergaming. Of course I want to advance stats as well, but this is a byproduct, not the goal. I want interaction with the world, and interaction with the players. Besides, this si something i am looking for in single player CRPGs as well. I sincerely hope Morrowind will be that game I was waiting for. So far, there are too little of them. Daggerfall was one, Gothic maybe, but give me a game where I can bake bread, cook vegetables, build houses, slay monsters, build my own shop - I will be happy then...

Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 11:02 am
mtkafka
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, though I'm excited about DAoC I dont expect it to be the be-all end-all mmrpg... like you said its another levelfest. The Realm vs Realm aspect seems cool, but i havea feeling it will be a harcore "powergamers" game by the time i reach the level.

Still though, I wish they DID make a UO in 3d or a game comparable. I played UO for about 2 months as a cook, and hunted very little. Hehe, i was in minoc as well and got pk'd a few times... it was annoying but i liked that the game had some danger. Also, the anti pk and pk guilds were cool in UO. I quit UO around the time EQ came out... and since quitting EQ i havent had any want for another game til DAoC.

I know DAoC wont be a groundbreaking game, but im sure it will give a good diversion for about a few months.

Too bad origin cancelled UO2... would have been real nice if they made a mmrpg that devoted more to than just hack n slash.

btw, great post Rend!

etc
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 11:28 am
Garrett

Thanks Rend. But as you said, most people nowadays are powergamers...
I don't geteither side, neither the powergaming aspect nor the sheer roleplaying aspect.
I need a story, a limitation of the game, so I can advance towards an end. I don't want to miss something in agame world when I'm offline.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 11:43 am
Draszmar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I like Powergaming.
I like raising my stats and finding cool items and slaughtering monsters, in every Computer Game I try to find the best and most effective character or party.

BUT

I like to do this on my own and I like to to this experiencing a decent storyline. And I like good designed NPCs and not some 13-year-old UO-geek talking about his pimples. And I despise Clans, why can't these guys not get on for themselves?
And I like Powergaming only if it doesn't effect other people. I (34 years old) am still playing P&P RPGS and I have experienced enough Powergaming to find out that it only ruins the fun for other players.

So as a summary: I want a well designed storyline and well designed NPCs and a goal in my CRPGs, so I will stick only with Solo-CRPGS.
There are too many assholes online and I simply don't want to play with them.

And every little game company tries to get a piece of the big cake and develops an Online-Game. Who will be able to play and afford all this crap?
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 12:05 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Well, the beauty of a perfect MMORPG would be that you could create your own story.

Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 12:07 pm
Garrett

It is not only the story - there's these *censored* and there's the fact that one misses something when offline and you have to pay for it after you bought the game and when you're dead you can't just reload and so on...
I really hope that developers will concetrate on single player RPG's again after some of them have gond backrupt.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 12:12 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I have a problem with the cost of MMORPGs also, but in a little different way than you. I understand having to pay monthly after you get the game. What I don't understand, is the initial price for buying it. I think the CD should either be free, or a very small amount, like $1. Have something set up so that people can't get unlimited amounts of them, because obviously that would cause problems, but you shouldn't have to pay full game price for these games if you're going to pay monthly.

You're really paying for a monthly subscribtion service anyway, not a regular game. If you don't pay monthly for whatever reason, the full price CD you bought becomes worthless. If you get banned, even if it's wrongly, your $50 CD... worthless. When they finally decide to shut down the game, your CD is worthless.

When you buy a single player game, that game becomes yours, to play whenever you want to, for as long as you want to, even if you want to play it 10 years down the road assuming you can still get it to work. But when you buy a MMORPG, you really aren't getting the game. The actual game is still in the hands of the people providing the subscribtion.

[ This Message was edited by: Raldor on 2001-10-10 09:22 ]
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:20 pm
MWTBP
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I like the post from Ren, the idea of being able to actually roleplay is great, I like to be able to kill things and save the world and all that, but sometimes it gets mundane. A game where I can just live on my own as a hunter and sell things, rather than just leveling up so I can kill the next tough enemy. A game with a whole town interacting, smiths making weapons, cooks, weapon trainers, and for people who like to beat up things can play as a hero, they could protect the town from attacking towns, or other things. If this was made, I would play it online, and not just single player RPGs.
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:12 am

I too played UO, for a period of 8 months I nearly spent all my spare time on it. Pulled many all-nighters too. For me it was the trading aspect that motivated me. I rarely went hunting and combat isn't something I'm looking for in the new MMORPGs. I just want to pursue a job, be it fishing, cooking, tailoring. Eventually starting and running a shop. If another game comes along offering UO like trading features, I'll be interested.

I started out in UO as a Minoc Miner (but with some good mage skills), it was the self-improvement that pushed me. I didn't power-game, I was just trying to be a better smith/mage by practise. I made a lot of friends, to the point that you develop a 'uniform' for your character, allowing you to be easily spotted out in a crowd.

There was something good about running past the bank and having somebody call out your name!

Sadly, whilst DAoC interests me, I'm on an even worse modem connection than I was when playing UO some 3 years ago now. Had I broadband access, I'd be subscribed to these games, I'm sure.
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 10:35 am

Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

This thread has good points from both sides. I played UO for 2 years only because of the freedom...what other game can you be totally self-sufficient from living off the land than in UO. I loved chopping wood, making furniture and decoration my guilds house with it (til the key got stolen and house emptied out faster than the LA Riots). Which brings me to the next point, powergaming. To me, if you gonna play a game, play it as the best possible char you can. So while I first started out UO as a roleplaying simple village worker, the day my house got looted and I had no power to stop em, I went PK. stayed pk my last 6 mos then I quit and joined AC. Since AC has no RP factored into it at all, I powerleveled...alot.
Oh yea, the point I was getting it is...yea:
While I would much rather RP in an MMORPG (a novel idea, I know), if you are lucky you might find 1-2 other on the server that would join you in it.
But with all the d00ds and powerlevelers around, either they make you feel like you're wasting your time, or make you feel like a n00b cause you are here talking about a make-up story while they are killing dragons with spoons in their left hand while the righthand is tied behind their back due to their immensely powerful character.
What they NEED to do is make a game with each shard catering to different players
RP Shard
PL Shard
General Shard
PK Shard
lewt shard (prolly go with the PL)
and then yes, charge MORE (monthly)for the freedom to choose the style you want to play but LESS for the game ($10 for client/$15 a month)
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:22 pm