Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I'm sure this has been asked before, but ..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
brozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm sure this has been asked before, but ..

I played Morrowind when it first came out for Xbox. I didn't finish it tho, my Xbox died and all my saves died with it and I was so disgusted that I never bothered to replay the game. Well, anyway, my question is.
Is the GOTY edition worth buying? I've heard some great things about it, but also some bad. So basically, I'm looking for opinions from anyone who has played it.
Also, is the 430 page game guide worth getting as well?
Thanx in advance, Brozz.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:43 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Dunno what guide you are talking about, but the game is IMHO Great, and VRY worth buying. And BTW, what "Bad" thing did you here?
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:58 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

"The Morrowind Prophesies" stategy guide? My copy's only 370 pages, so I'm not sure if that's what you mean. If so, it's an excellent book for maps and spoilers. It's lousy for hints about character development. Overall, probably a good purchase. It's tough not to let the book spoil the entire game for you, though.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:04 pm
brozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
"The Morrowind Prophesies" stategy guide? My copy's only 370 pages, so I'm not sure if that's what you mean. If so, it's an excellent book for maps and spoilers. It's lousy for hints about character development. Overall, probably a good purchase. It's tough not to let the book spoil the entire game for you, though.

The new guide for the GOTY version is 420 or 430 pages. But if it's anything like you say, I think I'll pass on it simply because I hate spoilers.
Thanx for the info.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:55 pm
brozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by ~NOBODY~
Dunno what guide you are talking about, but the game is IMHO Great, and VRY worth buying. And BTW, what "Bad" thing did you here?

I hear some awful things about the Bloodmoon expansion. Horrible load times, crashes etc. But for all I know, they were said by someone who never even played Morrowind, that's why I wanted opinions from actual players.
Thanx for the info, I just might grab a copy tonight.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:57 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Hmm... On my lower-than-medium PC, it does have horrible load times, but it should work fine on XBox. And in Bloodmoon, you can become a werewolf. This feature dragged a lot of attention from Morrowind Fans.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:01 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by brozz
The new guide for the GOTY version is 420 or 430 pages. But if it's anything like you say, I think I'll pass on it simply because I hate spoilers.
Thanx for the info.
Glad I could help. If you happen to get stuck, you can always ask here. I've got my book, and NOBODY and cfmdobbie are serious gurus, so we'll probably be able to assist.

Welcome to the boards, by the way.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:19 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

The Xbox GOTY is a great buy. For 30 bucks you can't go wrong. Your initial character load is longer than the original Xbox game or Platinum(20.00 greatest hits) version. But, your save files seem to be smaller when you convert them to Goty. My level 55 character is 270 blocks rather than 330 like it was for Morrowind platinum.

You get a life bar for enemies. I could never go back to playing without that. The problems you heard about stem more from the dvd drive on your Xbox. There are 3 drives and the you have least problems in this order...
1. Samsung
2. Phillips
3. Tomson

I occasionaly get a lockup and have to power/cycle my Xbox. With the Tomson drive you may have tons of problems playing GOTY as it is a dual/layer DVD and Platinum/original was not. Some people had problems with KOTOR on the Tomson drives also. Luckily I have a Samsung.

This game is the reason I own an Xbox and has provided me with nonstop entertainment for 1.5 years.
----------------
Morrowind Prophecies. There 2 versions of this guide...
GOTY has full-size 8 1/2 x 11 pages. Thus the original guide is in the first 230 pages. The last 200 pages are all bloodmoon & Tribunal. This guide blows the original out of the water. 430 pages

The original Prophecies guide is 400 pages...but it is in a really small print, the guide is way smaller in size and only covers Morrowind.

What sucks about the guide is that it is really only for maps and quests. It tells you nothing about alchemy, how to make spells, where to find weapons and ingredients or any of the really crazy questions you will have. You will have to use forums for that stuff.

Bottom line...if you don't have a PC that can run Morrowind GOTY...buy the XBOX version.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:02 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by brozz
quote:
Originally posted by ~NOBODY~

I hear some awful things about the Bloodmoon expansion. Horrible load times, crashes etc. But for all I know, they were said by someone who never even played Morrowind.

Well, someone who never even played MW can not say anything about load times. If you were satisfied with load times in MW, you will be satisfied in this edition.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:29 am
brozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you to everyone who replied, specially kengo2019, I really appreciate the input. I have a Samsung drive in my Xbox, so I shouldn't have any problems playing GOTY ... and to be honest, I CAN'T WAIT to get started !!
Thanx again, and I'm sure I'll be posting many questions in the futute.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:02 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

I played it on the PC, completely overpowerd my charater via mods, didn't feel like starting over and so I gave it up for Neverwinter nights. So when got an xbox, finished KOTOR (all hail Bioware) and became disgusted with games that cost $50USD and only give me 10-20hrs of entertainment I re-considered the GotY edition of Morrowind for Xbox. I traded my Arx Fatalis for it and have been very happy ever since...yes, the load times are excruciating, but that just gives you added incentive to make the right decisions and do everything in your power to avoid death. Go get it, you will be happy you did.

BTW - how can you tell which type of drive your Xbox has??

Brak
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:15 pm
brozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Here is a url with pics of the three drives available in the Xbox

http://groups.msn.com/XboxDDE/shoebox.msnw
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:30 pm