Error on Startup: Hook detected ...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
rputran
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Error on Startup: Hook detected ...

I have just installed Gothic II and NotR. On running Gothic I get an error message to this effect "Conflict - hook detected - disable all anti virus ... etc'.

I tried disabling Norton Internet Firewall and NAV but the same message shows up. Am running XP SP2. Any help would be appreciated.

As an aside I am amazed to see how many people are reporting problems of starting up. Jowwod should be ashamed to release a product like this. I am sure there are better copy protection mechanisms than the one they are (which I presume is the cause of all these problems).
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:43 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Error on Startup: Hook detected ...

quote:
Originally posted by rputran
I have just installed Gothic II and NotR. On running Gothic I get an error message to this effect "Conflict - hook detected - disable all anti virus ... etc'.

I tried disabling Norton Internet Firewall and NAV but the same message shows up. Am running XP SP2. Any help would be appreciated.

As I understand it the message means that another program or process uses a system resource G2 needs to run. The solution is as obvious as hard to nail down: close this process to free the resource. This can go from the Task Manager over removing spyware to reinstalling windows. The latter was the solution in the only solved case with this problem, out of ~4.

quote:
As an aside I am amazed to see how many people are reporting problems of starting up. Jowwod should be ashamed to release a product like this.
I´m sure the people at the JoWooD forums would like to discuss this with you.

quote:
I am sure there are better copy protection mechanisms than the one they are (which I presume is the cause of all these problems).

After 4 years of experience I can tell you this much: 95% of all PC problems are either caused by the PC (-> because they were built with cheap components or just run like crap before the windows is 3 years old) or by the person in front of it.
So far this doesn´t sound like a CP problem.
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:03 am
rputran
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You may like to note that I dont use any emulation software, hacks or anything else - everything is clean and legitimate. And I am able to run many games including FEAR and Quake 4 - so it isnt that my PC is not up to the task.

I wish it were as simple shutting down processes using Task Manager. The problem is that with Norton Internet Security you cannot disable some of those processes using Task Manager. I dont want to uninstall that program. In any event it seems unacceptable that I should be required to uninstall firewalls and ant virus software to play a game! I am able to run so many games - none of them require me to uninstall software. [Which was why I commented that JoWood need to get their act together. There are copy protection methods which dont result in such inconvenience to legitimate users.]

I wonder if it is possible to install another copy of XP on another disk on the same PC and create a dual boot system - one without firewalls etc - one can then boot into that and run the game.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:52 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I also use Norton Antivirus and Internet Security, but I have never had any problems with playing or installing Gothic (1, 2, NotR) while Norton was on.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:23 am
NicoDE
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Some Anti-Cheating-Tools install system hooks (to detect cheats - what else ). It seems that you have a tool installed that hooks system functions - and that the CP of Gothic doesn't like very much...
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:21 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
I wonder if it is possible to install another copy of XP on another disk on the same PC and create a dual boot system - one without firewalls etc - one can then boot into that and run the game.

Two years ago I killed my XP and had to install a new one on another drive because a format would have killed a lot of data. I installed it on E:. It was no problem at all, XP even created a boot menu to choose between the new and the damaged Windows. I´m not sure if it´s always that simple, though.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:10 am