Usergroups
Rattus Note and the Arinka Bank
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
silly

Rattus Note and the Arinka Bank

Hello,

using the Rattus Note I was able to successfully get down to the bank vault and pick it too. I was surprised,

In it, I found absolutely nothing. Is this right? Am I missing something?
Thanks
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:12 pm

dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

1) Have you been in the vault before? There's a quest that you probably got prior to meeting Rattus that would put you in the vault.

2) You lockpicked the main vault? As in the 8-tumbler lock? It's entirely possible, but you don't seem far enough along in the game. Is it possible you went to the wrong vault? There are several locked doors to visit under the bank.

3) On a side note, did anyone ever find Rattus to collect that reward? I think this has been discussed in the past, but I don't remember the answer. I never did find him.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:33 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

As far as I've heard, no one has ever seen or heard from Rattus again.
First time through, I was able to pick the 8 tumbler lock relatively early in the game. I had finished Arnika, and was on my way to Trynton when I met Rattus. I went back, and did succeed in picking the lock In addition to a skilled bard (more skilled than Myles, because she trained only in lock picking), it took 2 people casting knock-knock & 2 lock picks.
One footnote: If you used the keycards to rob the vaults already, there is nothing more to find if you pick the lock. Also, you have completed the bank quest for Myles if you do it via the keycards, too.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:42 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
One footnote: If you used the keycards to rob the vaults already, there is nothing more to find if you pick the lock. Also, you have completed the bank quest for Myles if you do it via the keycards, too.

Your memory fails you, my son. The keycards are for the "safe deposit" vaults that you access via the elevator behind the bankteller. The main vault can be reached via the elevator to the teller's left (your right as you look at her) as well as the secret way Myles tells you about. Myles has nothing to do with the keycards and the safe deposit vaults.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:47 pm
otter
One of Us

You can also get to the other side of the 8-tumbler door without opening it. It's my favorite place to practise up my Alc, Wiz, and Earth skills, so i never open it anyway.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
There's a trapdoor in the middle cell at the Jail, and to get out, a teleporter.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:51 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Your memory fails you, my son. The keycards are for the "safe deposit" vaults that you access via the elevator behind the bankteller. The main vault can be reached via the elevator to the teller's left (your right as you look at her) as well as the secret way Myles tells you about. Myles has nothing to do with the keycards and the safe deposit vaults.

Perhaps, but IIRC...
Once you show the teller a keycard, you have access to everything behind her and can clean it all out that way. I know first time through, after I cleaned everything I out came in through that locked gate... and found nothing!
Also, I know that second time through that I completed the bank quest for Myles without unlocking the tumblers (I still haven't). He got annoyed with me, and I had to give him gold to make him friendly again.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:12 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:

Perhaps, but IIRC...
Once you show the teller a keycard, you have access to everything behind her and can clean it all out that way. I know first time through, after I cleaned everything I out came in through that locked gate... and found nothing!
Also, I know that second time through that I completed the bank quest for Myles without unlocking the tumblers (I still haven't). He got annoyed with me, and I had to give him gold to make him friendly again.

LOTS OF MINOR SPOILERS

Well, shoot. Now you've got me wondering if I'm the one getting senile. Let's see... When you show the teller a keycard, she opens the safe deposit elevator behind her and tells you to go ahead. You're free to loot that entire hallway (3 personal keycard vaults, 2 or 3 regular vaults, and the one at the end of the hallway with the golem in it). She doesn't open the main vault elevator at the same time does she? If you show her the Rattus note, she attacks and calls for the guards. After dealing with them, you can use the three buttons (green, yellow, and red) behind her to open the main vault elevator. As for the bank quest, you can access the main vault with/for Myles via the jail tunnel without ever touching the vault's lock.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:31 pm
otter
One of Us

Yes, dteowner, you're right on all counts, and it's 2 vaults with easy locks and chests fulla trash, and another with a Golem and more trash around the U from the Keycard vaults. Really, the only reason to go here at all is BL. Which i haven't been using at all in my recent finishes.
The other side is the practise area for Knock-Knock. If you go in there with a few Mana Stones, it only takes the game time of walking back from He'li's after each visit to reload the stones, but it takes less playing time to sleep for mana recharging.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:58 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, Otter agrees with Dteowner, so I'm outvoted. I stand corrected and apologize for my memory lapse and any inconvenience my misinformation cause.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:39 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Thou'rt to be shunned. Thine transgression be most grievious. Woe unto thee!

Looks like Val's gonna have to break out that wet noodle they were talking about earlier...
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:45 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, this little chat decided me to send my new party back to Arnika to double check what was posted here, and here's what I found:
1) Bank quest by Myles only refers to the keycard part, not the main vault.
2) Nothing in the main vault, so it's not urgent to get in there. Just good spells & lock-picking practice if you go in via the gate.
3) 2 separate elevators - 1 to main vault, 1 to private safe-deposits. Can't get from one to the other except by the main floor of the bank.
4) I never used the buttons behind the desk, but I have read elsewhere confirming that they are for access to the main bank vault.
Again, sorry for my earlier confusion.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:25 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
1) Bank quest by Myles only refers to the keycard part, not the main vault.
2) Nothing in the main vault, so it's not urgent to get in there. Just good spells & lock-picking practice if you go in via the gate.

1) I thought Myles was the one that told you to use the tunnel. If so, he's directing you to the main vault.

2) Every time I've gone to the main vault (via the tunnel), I've gotten the diamond epee (a decent early game sword), a cloak (oilskin?), and a potion or two. The only time the vault's been empty was the one time I did the Rattus note and came down the elevator- but I had already raided it via the tunnel earlier in that game.

You know, we're probably getting worked up over minor stuff here, but I guess that's part of the fun, eh?
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:24 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

1) Yes Myles does send you in via the tunnels, but he gets annoyed at you for completing the "quest" without him being in your party for the keycard part.
2) I've never first entered the vault from the elevator, as I've always broken in via the tunnel. I've broken in 3 times (twice in my first time through, once in my second), and never found anything. Maybe it's a random feature, or maybe it depends on how you first enter.
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:53 pm
otter
One of Us

I've gone through that tunnel for the first time in the game at least 30 times and there's always been a Diamond Epee, Oilskin Cloak, and a potion. I always go this way to practise up Wiz and/or Alc. On my first game, i played with Lorrac's switches, killed her and the Bank Guard, picked the lock, and found the same stuff.
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:56 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Otter - Did you do the keycard part before or after the tunnel? I know in my first game, I got the diamond epee from somewhere, but I don't remember where. In the second game, I have 1 in my party using an oilskin cloak, which IIRC I got from the safe deposit area - and I may have sold the diamond epee to Antoine already. So I'm thinking that it may be if you do the keycard part first, you get the items there and the vault itself is empty. Any thoughts?
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:17 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next