Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
official box screenshots. Did they cheat?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
fire

Well, I can honestly say that I rarely see screenshots that completely fabricate game features. The Morrowind screenshots show scenerios that will never occur. A gondolier slowly rowing the player through the canals of Vivec... give me a break, the NPCs can't even sit down!

I think any altering of game screenshots is very dishonest and should be harshly scolded by the gaming community. But statically rendering scenes that will never occur is so beyond "touching up" screenshots as to be laughable.

Bethesda has turned into a greedy money hungry developing house and I doubt I will ever buy another one of their products again.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:25 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Now cmon - they do not show scenes that aren't in the game on the box, and those screenshots you are referring to were published late 1999 from a prototype engine.

Other companies completely fake screenshots (Unreal 2) in early stages of development. You are taking your suspicions too far.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:36 pm
fire

yes, maybe i am taking it too far.

but i thought they were real and i looked all around vivec while playing. i thought that scene was in the game and it was not. and the screenshot is still up on their website.

there were several other faked screenshots too, not just that one.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:48 pm

Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

quote:
Originally posted by Hawthorne
You don't think they touch the art up for advertising; you got to be kidding.

Didn't you ever hear of putting the marbles in the vegetable soup to make the vegetables come to the top?

I've been in the advertising business all my working life and I guarantee you that what you see is what they want you to see.

There are actually people (I have hired them myself) whose full time job is food styling. They are hired by photographic studios to make the food look great and they use blowtorches and spray cans to do it.

When they are done the photo retouchers take over.
Did you ever look at that picture or a hamburger on the menu and compare it with the one they gave you?

And for game boxes how many times have you seen the title art passed off as screen shots.

Mike

lol!!

I wish they came looking like this!

It reminded me of the movie Falling Down with Michael Douglas?

Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:13 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by fire
Well, I can honestly say that I rarely see screenshots that completely fabricate game features.

Heh, you should look at the game called Revenant. Out of about 8 "screen shots" present on the box, I think only 1 actually depicts something from the game (and only because your character is the only thing on screen standing on a generic piece of grass). All other "screen shots" depict things that literally don't exist in the game. Towns, NPCs, monsters, etc. The "game features" section on the box lists a set of features of which only about 30% actually exist in the game.

Me thinks they released an alpha version of the software. But than again what do me knows.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:48 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

No they didnt touch up anything. And when i take screenshots my pics look absolutely amazing. I do not need to touch up a thing.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:23 am
Starfox
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by fire
yes, maybe i am taking it too far.

but i thought they were real and i looked all around vivec while playing. i thought that scene was in the game and it was not. and the screenshot is still up on their website.

there were several other faked screenshots too, not just that one.

I agree with your comment, Fire, Bethesda should remove that Vivec's gondolian screenshot from their website. It might be a prototype screenshot but their not selling a prototype but the finished game now.

But I dont complain, too much, SOME of my screenshot looks quite similar (the outdoor scenes) but definately not the skeletons and the Ogrim monster. Mine are dull and generic.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:07 pm
Cold_Brains
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Rendelius - they did include a shot of a feature that was not in the game. The gondolier. That is misleading, and was either deliberately, or negligently, included both on the box and the website.
I was expecting more from this game as a result of that shot - it implies a degree of immersion generally that is simply not there.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:09 pm
killahsin

You will all also come to notice by the latest gamespy interview with todd, that there are numerous graphical features in morrowind that are unable to be currentyl turned on based on hardware/driver limitations. that might also have a bit to do with it
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:57 pm

Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I could care less if you hand draw pictures on bill boards. Ya they do that crap with food and alot of things. But the pics on the box look just like my game and the screenshots i take look better without haveing to do a thing to them. Untill you have the best of everything, including operating system, then you really can not complain about pics on the box.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:11 pm
iloveplywood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

When people start knocking the graphics I feel like they are stretching things a tad. Not one of the strongest knocks against Morrowind. It tends to ease my mind about the other complaints people make of the game. I think, my god, if they can complain about the graphics then maybe all their other complaints are of a similar nature.

Just some advice. Feel free to ignore. You probably should actually. The last person that followed my advice was in a horrible bowling accident as a result. I still don't know what I was thinking when I gave out that little gem . . .

Anyway, to sum up: When knocking Morrowind stay away from the graphics unless really pushed up against a wall. I think you'll find your arguments more persuasive and yes, more arousing.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:20 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2