Prove to me the MMORPG genre isn't dead :(
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Chicknstu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Prove to me the MMORPG genre isn't dead :(

I abandoned World of Warcraft for the following reason....

Conversations which used to go like this..

Me : Do you want to go questing?
Player A : Sure, where abouts?
Me : How about in the valley of ultimate death?
Player B : OK, lets go!

*off we go to get random quests and play*

They now go like this...

Me : Want to do the 'Chalace of defiance' quest?
Player A : I've already done it.
Me : OK, how about the 'rat infestation' quest?
Player B : I haven't done the 3 quests leading up to it.
Me : OK, how about the 'Fire of evermoore' quest?
Player C : Where's that one? The quest giver is miles away, and i dont have it.
Player A : Also, it's not playable by my class.
Me : FINE, how about the 'Gorgon's Helm' quest?
Player B : No way man, that's about 10 levels lower than me, i wont get any XP for it.
Me : Tell me about it, I havent levelled in over a week.
Player C : So what are we doing?
*return to start of conversation*

Anarchy Online is too old. Star Wars Galaxies is too deserted. Matrix online is too bland, City of heroes has the above problem, Eve Online is too bloody complicated, and Biosfear isn't complicated enough.

I've tried loads of them, but none seem to stick. I started everquest 2 yesterday....

Please, tell me nice things about it

Disheartened Stu xxx

RetroDev Games - New Games, Retro Style
Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:58 pm
Balthemor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It may just be dead........

well the brand of MMORPG is a great brand of games ultimate choice you decide blah blah blah but when it comes down to it its always the same old stuff when it comes down to it nomatter how expansive the world is its always hunt lower level creatures level up hunt higher level creatures.

For the brand now its that and make stuff using mines make fabrics sell to buy weapons for the above purpose it all gets a bit boring and judging that no one has posted here for days it is dying.

They're may be one brand that could save MMORPGS people love empire building right? people love making money (even if it is game money only) people love to have wars (in games) they love huge armies taking to eachother which axe and sword even if the scale could be very small the want it huge. People love killing big monsters , people love variety in games (different races and abils for each one)

So my idea for a MMORPG game is simple we combine all those into one trully MGMORPG (MASSIVE GIGANTIC MULTIPLAY ONLINE ROLE PLAYING GAME) one where you select a race example dwarfs pick a period of how many hours u play and what speciallty u want (builder farmer hunter blacksmith military dude ext) u get put in a random dwarf clan which would be anywhere even on open planes. Your race gets special bonuses like the blacksmith starts of better than a human one (or something like that) goes about his time going to the mines mining whatever (he has to fight off a few lil beasties to get their though) brings back and starts making swords for the army. One player acts as ambassador (some nations cant trade together) goes to another down to try to sell swords men whatever takes ye fancy. And basically thats it apart from having wars where you choose where which regiment goes blah blah blah if you lose ur town gets destroyed and u have to move on blah blah usual stuff.

P.S theyre would be a limit to how big ur cempire could be so no one could control the hole game
Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:04 pm
Chicknstu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I guess one where everyone was working towards the same goal would encourage teamplay, and take emphasis off solo questing and persuing your own goals, which everyone seems to do.

RetroDev Games - New Games, Retro Style
Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:20 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's dead.

The millions of subscribers to MMO and the 10s of thousands slavering in the beta forums of a dozen more just don't realize it.

I'm not being sarcastic or kidding.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:02 pm
Balthemor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*points to post* if their was an mmorpg like that it'wd be alive
Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:16 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
It's dead.

The millions of subscribers to MMO and the 10s of thousands slavering in the beta forums of a dozen more just don't realize it.

I'm not being sarcastic or kidding.

At least you are being cryptic, care to explain what you mean?
Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:04 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

MMO genre won't be dead any time soon. over 3 million people play WoW. Over 1 million people play Guild Wars. Over few hundred thousand people play other MMOs (EQ, LII, KO)
Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:53 pm
Balthemor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

All it is it just gets a bit boring over a while same old same old
quote:
MMO genre won't be dead any time soon. over 3 million people play WoW. Over 1 million people play Guild Wars. Over few hundred thousand people play other MMOs (EQ, LII, KO)

All it is it just gets a bit boring over a while same old same old and just gets boring and extremly repeditive fps and rts will pick up the void
Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:36 am
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Balthemor
All it is it just gets a bit boring over a while same old same old
quote:

All it is it just gets a bit boring over a while same old same old and just gets boring and extremly repeditive fps and rts will pick up the void

Well, that is why companies make an expansion packs.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:04 pm
Balthemor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

But expansions get borign and it still is all the same old crap we've had for years
Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:12 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
But expansions get borign and it still is all the same old crap we've had for years

Thats why they keep making expansions, events, updates, and new parts of the game? Yes that is why!

For example:
Guild Wars: normal game. Playing it for a long time (since May 2004). Got boring. Major update. Woah so much new stuff! Gotta play again. Few month later...boring... Oh nice an event! Woah awesome prizes! Gotta play again. And Expansions each 6 month. World Championship right now...

WoW: Well, this is getting old. But still updates and events keep it cool.

Those are 2 major examples. Off coarse all othersm MMOs migh as well die out. Like I am not sure that a lot of people play EQII or LII, when there are those 2 MMOs ^^
Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:12 pm
Balthemor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
For example:
Guild Wars: normal game. Playing it for a long time (since May 2004). Got boring. Major update. Woah so much new stuff! Gotta play again. Few month later...boring... Oh nice an event! Woah awesome prizes! Gotta play again. And Expansions each 6 month. World Championship right now...

But im not talkin about that am i im talking about the pure raw basis of all mmos its based on how long you play how and the same repeditive monster killing thats all just folly all it means is that it wants u to spend more money on boring repeditive chores
Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:42 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

@ Balthemor: With an attitude like that almost everything will get boring, ''following a storyline'' baaah done that before.....''making your char stronger'' so standard, every game has it.....

I play WoW on the RP servers (Earthen Ring and Venture Co.) and once you get out of the annoying newbie areas it is great to roleplay your char with a lot of others. The point is, the goal of the game is not to do all the boring quests, the goal is to enjoy yourself in any way you like. So do your own thing without worry about Powergaming and Itemfever and you get a whole other game
Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:52 am
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
quote:
For example:

But im not talkin about that am i im talking about the pure raw basis of all mmos its based on how long you play how and the same repeditive monster killing thats all just folly all it means is that it wants u to spend more money on boring repeditive chores

Do I have to repeat myself?

Yes, ALL (EVERY SINGLE MMO) is boring as hell, if you do same thing all over again. That is why companies add events and new stuff to the game. They can make you do the whole story line again, just because they added some unique weapon as a prize.

If MMO genre was dead, over 5 million people wouldn't be playing them. MMO and FPS are the most popular genres out there. go to www.mmorpg.com tons of MMOs, which lots of people play. Tired of one MMO, go to another. Tired of that, pick another one. And companies keep making new ones.

Example: RYL. Fun game. I played beta. got boring. No events. Just go around and kill stuff and lvl up. You can spend 3 hours killing one monster to lvl up yourself. Boring!. I stopped playing, 1 month later there was Christma event. yay. 3 month later they released RYL expansion beta. yay!

I can agree that ANY game will get boring if you only do some certain things in that game.

//Have you tried Guild Battles in WoW or GW? makes life harder?. 1 month spent on making a strategy.//
Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:28 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

the MMORPG aren't dead at least not whole of it just the RPG part, there is almost no Roleplaying involve in a MMORPG these days, sad fact . roleplayers can still play on RPG servers but even there role playing is sporadic , and talks consists of "hey dude , sup m8, wanna lvl"
so no the genre will not die it makes too much money but RPGers just won't play on it, for me it might as well be dead.
Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:20 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next