Members
Usergroups
Earth And Beyond (PC, MMORPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
selderane

Beautiful but lacking

I remember when I was anxiously awaiting the coming of Star Wars Galaxies and, after many delays, decided to pick up Earth & Beyond in the interim (never did pick up Galaxies – got Planetside instead). I'll tell you, it was the visuals that grabbed me. This game was gorgeous! Also, as I like New Agey music it loved hearing the game. I lost count how many times I listened to the awesome music of the opening cinema and got absorbed by it and the visuals. The ships were great looking and it was a treat to customize it. But here's where Earth & Beyond lacked: there was no one around. This was supposed to be massively multi-player and it seemed like I was often by myself, I just never realized it until I showed it to a friend who played EQ. I was all geeked about it and wanted to show him how much better this game was. I booted it up, drooled during the opening cinema, showed off my ship... and that was it. Sure, I killed some space monsters and such but that's all there was. I felt embarrassed. I hyped this game to my friend and when it was time to show it off... it fired blanks. I left the game shortly thereafter and haven't been back since.

It had so much going for it but where it counted, simply having people there, it was sorely lacking. I recently installed Battle Field 1942 for my cousin and it had a trailer for Earth & Beyond, the opening cinema in all its glory. I remembered then what I wished the game could have been. To be honest, I'm sad to see it go. It could have been great and in a time when great, or even good, sci-fi flight simulators are virtually non-existent, the tragedy is even deeper.

Wing Commander is gone, Freespace is gone... and now a game that could have revitalized a genre is closing its doors in just a few weeks. Where's Chris Roberts when you need him?[/i]
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:04 pm