View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Dart23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Is Gothic the only one?

Hey

While searching different RPG game sites. I was suprised to see or not to see any games like Gothic 1 and 2. Sure there's Morrowind, but thats not like Gothic. Gothic was just so great, possitive and colorful game. Not dark and grey like Morrowind. So a'm I correct when I say that Gothic is the only game like that or is there more games like Gothic 1 and 2 out there?
I myself have played Gothic 1 four times to the end and Gothic 2 ten times to the dragon Island and seven times to the end and after completing the Addon I just don't know what to play. So if you know any games like Gothic 1 and 2 other then Morrowind or Kotor. Please let me know!!!
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:18 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Re: Is Gothic the only one?

Sorry to disapoint you but there isn't any other game like the games of gothic series.
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:32 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Is Gothic the only one?

Some first-person RPG I know: Ultima IX: Ascension (Origin / EA), Arx Fatalis (Arkane / JoWooD), Wizardry 8 (Sir-Tech). Search the forum for more Gothic-like games (example).

P.S. Every series is unique on its own. Wait for G3 if you want to feel like home.
P.P.S. Off-topic, but: Morrowind, Divine Divinity, Arx Fatalis, Gothic II ... I think you should at least try each of them...

Last edited by Kiwi Boy on Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:37 pm
Dart23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think I should make my question a little clearer. I know that Gothic is unique. And what I really want to know is that are there any games that have same features as in Gothic? I'm sure that one thing everybody loves in Gothic is different guilds and ability to affect the storyline. And ofcoarse the awesome NPC'S. So are there any games that have these same wonderful features or atleast few of these great features. Thats my question?
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:42 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, i think Deus Ex has a good storyline, but is only the same as Gothic for having a good story and good skill system.

Otherwise, it's totally different.
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:34 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Ultima:Ascension is the closest thing to Gothic, although it´s not as good. I still like it. It´s not as bad as all those frustrated reviewers made it.

Arx Fatalis and Wizardry 8 don´t have much in common with Gothic. Both are of course very good RPGs.

The upcoming Dungeon Lords should be somewhere between Gothic and Morrowind.

You can find a dozen threads on this topic with the search function.
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:14 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Redguard, though being advertised as an adventure, had things in common with Gothic (atmosphere, graphics etc.). It is a bit older, though. And about Arx, well, I opt to disagree with Gorath here. For me it had something in common with Gothic, namely the dark and gritty atmosphere. It also has things in common with the Thief series, atmosphere-wise, but what wonder: it's a tribute to the Ultima Underworld games which were made by Looking Glass as well. And Arx' magic system is really, really interesting.
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:27 am
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

You said it in that it's hard to find games comparable to Gothic. I personally liked Arx Fatalis and think Jaz hit it right on in mentioning the Thief games. Arx Fatalis is like an exact hybrid of Gothic and Thief. A little rough around the edges, but it is very immersive and I enjoy it thoroughly.... although I haven't beat it yet. Too busy playing Gothic II!
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:56 am
Poseidon The God
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i found a game made by german people its called Dungeon Lords and develorpers say that is just like gothic looks preaty good www.dungeon-lords.com and another game that looks great to its called The Bard`s Tale www.the-bards-tale.com you should check them out
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:20 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Gothic is pretty unique in the features it combines, so its gonna be practicaly impossible to find someone that matches exactly.

Here are the closest ones I can think of (Most already mentioned)

Note: The lists are in order of similarity to Gothic, the ones at the top of the list are most like Gothic, while the ones at the bottom of the list are least like Gothic.

PC:
    Ultima IX
    Redguard
    Kings Quest 8

Console: (A bit of a stretch)
    Zelda Series (3D Incantations)
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Series

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:38 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmm no one mentioned an another great game[also a little bit like gothic but its also very different from it] is Quest For Glory 5: Dragon Fire. Its a little bit out dated tho but u should check it out also if u find it anywhere it should be by now very cheap
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:52 pm
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think that thief 3 is very close to gothic.I've downloaded the demo and it was a very good game , check it out.
The atmosphere is a bit darker but is a really good game.
I think that once I finish gothic 2 + addon I will buy it.
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:49 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@Chekote: I played the Legacy of Kain games on my PC . I wouldn't say they 're very similar to Gothic (perhaps the dark atmosphere, yes, once again), but they are pretty good IMO.

@Jabberwocky: I don't know about the English language versions, never played them, but in the German versions of Gothic and Arx Fatalis one and the same voice actor dubbed the heroes; this made me think of Gothic right away when playing Arx for the first time.
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:28 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
@Chekote: I played the Legacy of Kain games on my PC . I wouldn't say they 're very similar to Gothic (perhaps the dark atmosphere, yes, once again), but they are pretty good IMO.

@Jabberwocky: I don't know about the English language versions, never played them, but in the German versions of Gothic and Arx Fatalis one and the same voice actor dubbed the heroes; this made me think of Gothic right away when playing Arx for the first time.

wow didnt know that its like our Hero entered an teleport and came to arx fatalis for a while
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:20 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I've only played the demo of Arx but I liked it a lot, because you start out just like in gothic: totally no clue what to expect and is coming for youy
thief? no not comparable to gothic for me: thief real linear and gothic is completely about choices
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:18 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next