RPGDot Network    

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, Book 11)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

by Robert Jordan
store date = October 11, 2005

Book Description
The Wheel of Time turns, and Robert Jordan gives us the eleventh volume of his extraordinary masterwork of fantasy.
The dead are walking, men die impossible deaths, and it seems as though reality itself has become unstable: All are signs of the imminence of Tarmon Gai’don, the Last Battle, when Rand al’Thor, the Dragon Reborn, must confront the Dark One as humanity’s only hope. But Rand dares not fight until he possesses all the surviving seals on the Dark One’s prison and has dealt with the Seanchan, who threaten to overrun all nations this side of the Aryth Ocean and increasingly seem too entrenched to be fought off. But his attempt to make a truce with the Seanchan is shadowed by treachery that may cost him everything. Whatever the price, though, he must have that truce. And he faces other dangers. There are those among the Forsaken who will go to any length to see him dead--and the Black Ajah is at his side....
Unbeknownst to Rand, Perrin has made his own truce with the Seanchan. It is a deal made with the Dark One, in his eyes, but he will do whatever is needed to rescue his wife, Faile, and destroy the Shaido who captured her. Among the Shaido, Faile works to free herself while hiding a secret that might give her her freedom or cause her destruction. And at a town called Malden, the Two Rivers longbow will be matched against Shaido spears.
Fleeing Ebou Dar through Seanchan-controlled Altara with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, Mat attempts to court the woman to whom he is half-married, knowing that she will complete that ceremony eventually. But Tuon coolly leads him on a merry chase as he learns that even a gift can have deep significance among the Seanchan Blood and what he thinks he knows of women is not enough to save him. For reasons of her own, which she will not reveal until a time of her choosing, she has pledged not to escape, but Mat still sweats whenever there are Seanchan soldiers near. Then he learns that Tuon herself is in deadly danger from those very soldiers. To get her to safety, he must do what he hates worse than work....
In Caemlyn, Elayne fights to gain the Lion Throne while trying to avert what seems a certain civil war should she win the crown....
In the White Tower, Egwene struggles to undermine the sisters loyal to Elaida from within....
The winds of time have become a storm, and things that everyone believes are fixed in place forever are changing before their eyes. Even the White Tower itself is no longer a place of safety. Now Rand, Perrin and Mat, Egwene and Elayne, Nynaeve and Lan, and even Loial, must ride those storm winds, or the Dark One will triumph.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:33 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

It's about damn time.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:55 pm
volcaneros
City Guard
City Guard

He needs to end this series so i can start caring again.

or pet sweaty things.

Turn $25 into $5225
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:40 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

You know, five years ago I was still enthusiastic about WoT.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:29 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

For starters, even by the standards of the bad art of the US covers of the WoT series, this one is possibly the worst ever. In case someone wonders why, that dward in the middle is the supposedly 190 cm tall woolheaded blacksmith, Perrin. And the woman is probably Berelain, supposedly the most beatuful woman in the land.

And then, I just cannot NOT say that the anticipation is killing me. What will Elayne have for breakfast? Will we finally see Tuon finishing her dress? How will whoever got Egwene in the White Tower manage to sneak inside her folding chairs so that she could almost fall out of the again? Will Faile learn how do iron Sevaana's silk dresses?

The agony of it.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:28 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona

And then, I just cannot NOT say that the anticipation is killing me. What will Elayne have for breakfast? Will we finally see Tuon finishing her dress? How will whoever got Egwene in the White Tower manage to sneak inside her folding chairs so that she could almost fall out of the again? Will Faile learn how do iron Sevaana's silk dresses?

The agony of it.

I agree, the art of these books really is not that impressive. Honestly, I am enjoying Steven Erickson's Malazon Book of the Fallen series much more. Yet, I do love Wheel of Time and plan to stick with it until the end as I have been reading it since 1992. Hopefully it ends!

Quit playin' girl, I know you love the series. You just can't contain yourself and you will be the first in line to read this book.

Btw, you should give Steven Erickson's series I mentioned above. It will make you fall in love with the fantasy genre again. Just give Gardens of the Moon or Deadhouse Gates a try and let me know what you think? And don't worry, these stories are actually self-contained with real endings.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:18 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I most seriously plan to read KoD the moment I get my hands on it ... I am doing that the moment it comes out. I already said the reasons why I mean I could stant through the last, like 5 books, I think I would manage another. But I just can't stand the agony of it! I mean it is really essential for the story, and the succes of the Great Lord, that they find a couple of folding chairs that Egwene has to ALMOST fall out of! And I most certainly forgot that Nyneave has definately have to pull her braid!

On a more serious note, I hear that part of the prologue is included in the paperback of New Spring : the Novel. If it is any pointer, on accouts of people who have read it it is some good.

I'm trying to give the Gardens of the Moon a read for some time, but in the end, always something manages to snatch me out of it. There must a reason behind it. Anyway, I've already heard on several accounts that it is exceptionally good, like a revolution in the genre, so on in any way, I am going to read it. Probably soon.

//PS - Really don't mind mine attitude towards the WoT, Bobby and the most evil agent of the Great Lord, Harriet, may my hands slide around her neck and snap it. It is just that the last 5-6 books of the series feel either like a free lobotomy, or I feel the urge to go and have one. KoD is inspiring me to go and have another before reading it, so I might like the book.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:47 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
I most seriously plan to read KoD the moment I get my hands on it ... I am doing that the moment it comes out.

I'm trying to give the Gardens of the Moon a read for some time, but in the end, always something manages to snatch me out of it. There must a reason behind it. Anyway, I've already heard on several accounts that it is exceptionally good, like a revolution in the genre, so on in any way, I am going to read it. Probably soon.

Coolness! I'm glad to hear that you are not giving up on ol Jordan before book 12. Supposedly it's all gonna end in Book12. (I know, he originally said it would end with 4 books).

What about the prequels? I hear those will end with 3 books. Two more prequels after New Spring. Can this guy ever end a storyline?

It's awesome to hear you are going to read Steven Erickson's stuff. My fave fantasy series are...Middle-Earth, Shannara, Wheel of Time, and now Malazan Book of the Fallen. What are your faves?
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:55 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Discworld series by Terry Pratchet, and while you may argue that it is not exactly fantasy, I may argue that it is. Oh, and Thraxas series by Martin Scott, it is an utmost delightful series, combining detective stories with fantasy, featuring a most incredulous sence of humor! // The first book in the series, Thraxas, has a World Fantasy Award for 1999 (on a side note, Gardens of the Moon was nominated the same year//

I am not giving up on the WoT, but not for lack of trying, I assure you. As the prequels go, the 2 latter planned prequels (a book about Tram, his service at the Illidan army, how he found the baby on top of Dragonmount, etc, and a book about the final days of Moiraine's search for TDR, and hopefully, about Suan's being chosen as Amyrlin) are currently put on hold, according to Bobby, since he planned to finish the main series (i.e KoD and book 12). However, it is very possible that he ditches them entire, either because he can't finish the WoT in 12 books, and/or he wants to continue with his next series, that he plans to finish in 6 books (coming from the author that originally planned the WoT to finish at 3 books that comes as a serious joke, I say that he either will kick the bucket or finish them in about 30 books), that are currently named as Infinity of Heaven.
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:08 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:

However, it is very possible that he ditches them entire, either because he can't finish the WoT in 12 books, and/or he wants to continue with his next series, that he plans to finish in 6 books (coming from the author that originally planned the WoT to finish at 3 books that comes as a serious joke, I say that he either will kick the bucket or finish them in about 30 books), that are currently named as Infinity of Heaven.

Sadly, you are probably correct!

"Infinity of Heaven"

You crack me up!

What is his next series? Or were you just playin?
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:10 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

My eyes glaze over whenever Elayne is doing anything in the past few books. It dismayed me that she got a 500 block chunk of 'I'm drumming up support for a throne that no longer matters' against Matt's two chapters or Perrin's. I like Matt and Perrin far more than any of the female leads (or even Rand, now. Rand I haven't seriously liked as a character since The Shadow Rising. ANd I can't stand the Aiel and hope they all die. There's no call for Irish Fremen hanging about. ).

I can't stand the Seanchan, either. I like the Children of the Light, though... they seem to be the sanest faction. Overzealous? Yes... but you can see their point about the Aes Sedai and the use of the one power.

Would be nice to see this wrap next book (after knife) but ... wow... even for a Jordan length novel it would have to be CRAMMED to wrap up even a small percentage of the plots wandering amok

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:17 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I think I'll take a look into Erickson's works, based on what I've read here.
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:08 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Namirrha
I think I'll take a look into Erickson's works, based on what I've read here.

Check out this preview from Sci-Fi Bookclub...

It’s very rare to find a major epic fantasy series that owes nothing to Tolkien—no plucky little heroes, no quests, no endangered pastoral lands, no elves and dwarves, and no Dark Lords. But Erikson’s Malazan Book of the Fallen novels are just that: a brand-new fantasy saga, with huge scope, vast ambition, a well-rendered cast of thousands, and more magic than you can shake a stick at. Even better, he’s already written five of the projected ten books—each one a separate story with an ending!

The Malazan Empire’s advance across the continent of Genabackis is stalling, crippled by the guerrilla attacks of Caladan Brood’s armies and the growing weariness of the Malazan legions. Only one of the Free Cities still stands: fabled Darujhistan, richest and oldest of them all. It lies in the shadow of Moon’s Spawn, a flying mountain ruled by the near-god Anomander Rake and home to the warrior-sorcerers of the Tiste Andii, implacable enemies of the Empire. And so the Empress Laseen, still consolidating her power after a bloody coup, sends a small group of soldiers into Darujhistan on a suicide mission to weaken the city.

But Sergeant Whiskeyjack—once a general under the old Emperor—didn’t survive this long by lying down and dying. He has a plan to break the city and get his Bridgeburners out alive. With the help of Tattersail, a cadre sorceress of unknown power attached to his squad, he just might be able to do it.

That is, if the defenders of Darujhistan—who include a young thief, a conflicted assassin, and the most unlikely of sorcerers—don’t stop him first.

This is the kind of book where you find yourself rooting for both sides—well, there are more than two sides, but you’ll want most of them to win—and you’ll want the second book (Deadhouse Gates) as soon as possible.
— Andrew Wheeler, Editor
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:38 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
My eyes glaze over whenever Elayne is doing anything in the past few books. It dismayed me that she got a 500 block chunk of 'I'm drumming up support for a throne that no longer matters' against Matt's two chapters or Perrin's. I like Matt and Perrin far more than any of the female leads (or even Rand, now. Rand I haven't seriously liked as a character since The Shadow Rising. ANd I can't stand the Aiel and hope they all die. There's no call for Irish Fremen hanging about. ).

I can't stand the Seanchan, either. I like the Children of the Light, though... they seem to be the sanest faction. Overzealous? Yes... but you can see their point about the Aes Sedai and the use of the one power.

Would be nice to see this wrap next book (after knife) but ... wow... even for a Jordan length novel it would have to be CRAMMED to wrap up even a small percentage of the plots wandering amok

Elayne did anything? Ever? That's a news bulletin.

For what it's worth, actually, I enjoy the chapters with the female leads much much more than any give chapter with Mat, Perrin and Rand since probably from the Dragon Reborn on, with Perrin scoring as probably the single most annoying character in the series after Elayne. Of course I use the term enjoy in relatively much wider sence than I should. But, I am just can't stand Perrin chapters. Mat chapters are getting equally annoying, and if these two continue to do nothing, I shall pronounce them even more tiresome than Elayne chapters. I mean, it is not only the fact that they both do nothing, but they do the same nothingness, they are as if the same character, for the Great Lord's sake.

Rand chapters, however, I can still stand, at least there are some hints of action there. And then, most of the cool characters appear around him, like Verin and Cadsuane, thank the Great Lord! And Min, I still like her.

As far as the Whitecloaks go, I think that they are one of the most bland of the whole factions, but since after I forgot in which book exactly did they get their asses beated by the Seanchan, I don't care, since they are appearing only minorly. //Xen, you may consider getting the paperback edition of New Spring the Novel, since you like the Whitecloaks. There is an excerpt from the KoD's prologue and it conserns Galad and the WC, as far as I understood. Besides, according to people that have read it, it is not bad.
I like the Seanchan, though.

On the whole, the only thing that got me through the last couple of books was probably that we are getting a little bit more chapters from some of the side characters, like Alviarin, or the Forsaken. At least, since all of the annoying ones are dead, and we know where most of them are by now, that adds at least some flavour.
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:13 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I like Perrin-chapters... though not as much lately as earlier in the series. Overall, though, he's the one who has changed the least and actually listens to advice. Look at Crossroads... that alluded all the way back to when he first got his axe. 'When it becomes comfortable to use, throw it away' ... and he does. Overall, no he has not done enough in the past two books (I loved when they were defending Two Rivers. I believe that was two books ago...)

Mat is fun in his own way... he always reminds me of someone sommersaulting down a hill. There's no real control and you pick up speed but if you survive the trip it was pretty fun. No, he has not done enough in the past two or three books.

Rand is insane. Ok, the taint didn't help and his decent into paranoia and raving madness was well written ... but even still he's nuts. And suicidal. Still, I like his chapters because, rightly so, they're where the story gets moved along from. He is surrounded by some of the better and more interesting characters in the story and Min reminds me of my fiance with her described looks, way of talking, and mannerisms so I like her. Of course she's been my favorite among the ladies since long before I even met my fiance.

Egwene's chapters I like. She's always doing something... and the Aes Sedai in exile are more interesting than any politiking being done over the Lion Throne. She's still doing things every book.

Nyaeneve I used to like a lot. Then she stopped doing things. She still has moments, though (like when she tears into Rand for marrying three women) where you remember why you liked her in the first place. Hey, she's married, she's happy and that's great... but if Jordan spends much more time having her and Lan share smiles in various degrees of verbosity I'm going to pull my hair out. They're both better than that.

Elayne I didn't mind until this whole reclaiming the Lion Throne thing. Before that she was always the most eager to fight... and her youth and recklessness was an offset to Egwene's moments of caution. Hunting the Foresaken with Egwene and Nyaeneve were some of my favorite 'power-battles'. Again, suffering from the 'not doing enough in the past two books' thing. Kind of makes you wonder who has done anything in the past two books...

The rest of the characters, though not exactly mains, are still doing things at least. Any chapter with Thom is a good one. Julian is lagging a little but he's always been a shadow more than a character. Most of the gaggle of Aes Sedai I could do without.. but they're well written and doing things and that's the important bit.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next