That's Gotta Smart!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

That's Gotta Smart!

The hefty THUMP on the doormat and the frantic scuffling noises of the cat who had been curled up there, were all the clues I needed to tell me that this months PC Gamer had arrived.

As usual I turned my attention first to the cover DVD to see what delights I would be able to try demo's of this month and what should I find but "Battlecruiser Millennium" the complete game!

It seems that as he did with the previous two versions, Dereck Smart has now released the code as freeware. Obviously I could not let this occasion slip by without mentioning it to my fellow spacetraders and warriors here on the X2 forum.

For any of you who fancy a bash at this but are not fortunate enough to have the UK edition of PC Gamer falling on your cats, here is a link which I looked up for you.

http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/bcm.shtml (230meg download)

Be warned though, this game recieved mixed reviews in the gaming press back in the day. I think that most agree it is ambitious but also flawed. Speaking for myself I have never tried the "Battlecruiser" range so I can't say how good it is. What I can say from a quick look this afternoon though is that it is complicated with a capital "C" (in fact all the other letters should probably be capital as well!)

Try at your own risk and if you enjoy it, then it was a Badger recomendation. If however you hate it, then erm... Lintra made me do it!!!

Badger
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:04 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Re: That's Gotta Smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Badger

Try at your own risk and if you enjoy it, then it was a Badger recomendation. If however you hate it, then erm... Lintra made me do it!!!

Badger

That's right! I told him that if he didn't recommend it, I'd do my best to halt the current independence talks here, and if it ever got back to the Queen that Bermuda was still a colony due to Badger's interference ... well ... not only would she not knight him, but kick him out of the country so fast his stripey head would takes days to recover!!
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:07 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Oh no! You're not going to go throwing a cargo of perfectly good tea in a bay or something are you???

Badger
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:36 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

No Badger, that would work if I *wanted* Bermuda to go independent. I don't. It would be a tremendous mistake for the local economy - which is, of course, why the UK government would just love it if Bermuda went indy.

No. Independence here would, most likely, result in a rapid flight of capital from the island. Right now there is a tremendous banking/investment/insurance industry here ... in large part thanks to the long term stability implied by being a crown colony ... and recourse to English law if all else fails. While nothing is guarenteed, it is the general consensus among the white collars here, that independence would be a very bad idea.

*WE now return you to the thread as intended *
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:58 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Free is my favorite price-tag. If I ever get internet at my new apartment I'll nab it. I seem to recall much complaining about how crappy the controls are... but no way to know without trying.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:35 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Well I can't make head nor tail of it so far Xen. I've only had a couple of looks, but I've not even found a basic keyboard list yet, so I've no idea what is where.

I selected the "Training Academy" but instead of the expected interactive tutorial, it turned out to be just a slice of the universe in which there were no time constraints and no hostiles, but the rest is pretty much up to you.

I've just found that as well as the manual in the program folder, there is also a file labelled "Tutorial" so that'll be my next port of call. But I have a feeling it's not going to be Badger friendly.

Good luck if you have a go.

Badger
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:55 pm