RPGDot Network    

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
DX2: I've played the game (and I think it's pretty good).
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Moriarty
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

DX2: I've played the game (and I think it's pretty good).

I've played DX2 all the way through once; now I'm going back for round two. It took just over 12 hours of gametime to finish (double that, if you count every time I died and had to go back) and I really liked it. In spite of the changes made to the gameplay, the vibe was much like the original. The story delivered (It didn't have any of the big "Did you just say Illluminati?" or "Gray radioactive aliens, WTF?" moments but it was good) and the lack of a skill system was offset by the broader pool of missions. In DX1 the almost RPG quality stemmed from the fact that while you were mostly restricted to all the same missions each time through, you had this customizable character. In DX2 the character is less customizable but there were a number of missions that I couldn't access without precluding others.

On the topic of character customization, though, the diverse collection of Bio-mods were quite interesting and they provide their own solutions to the game's missions. I used the "bot domination" mod to wreak a lot of havok without endangering my character's body. The core character concepts from DX1 (Ninja, Hacker, Gun Nut) are still available in DX2.

The universal ammo wasn't as annoying as I thought it would be. Pretty soon I was back to worrying about which weapon I should fire to make most efficent use of the ammo I had available, just like in the first game. It actually proved more challenging than DX1 since wasting a couple of rockets depleted the ammo for my pistol as well. This was futher complicated by the new weapon mod system which allows two mods per weapon. On the sniper rifle, for example, I had to make a decision between reducing the ammo consumption or increasing the damadge (I had a silencer in the first slot).

The only big complaints I have, are the lack of a Multitool skill/mod and that the game was too short. It was weird to be at the end of the game with my hacker style character and need to blow doors open for want of lockpicks (just a few doors, but still). The shortness of the game wasn't terrible but it was noticeable and a few more locations could have been used to give more meat to the plot and draw out the suspense.

Anyway, If anyone else has played (finished or not) I'd like to hear what you think.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:20 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Thanks for the interesting comments. It's been delayed in Australia so it'll be a while before I play the full game. My sense is that although it's a good game as such, none/few of the changes really benefit the game. In other words, the original game mechanics with the current story and factions would have been a superior game. What do you think?
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:23 am
Moriarty
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You could be right; I can't really argue that there was anything superior about the new game (besides the engine, which is actually kinda cool). However, it would have been difficult to really develop a character on the same scale as DX1 in the shorter ammount of time available in DX2. As it is, the character development, which I think was probably the biggest change, balanced well with the shorter length (Perhaps it was a bit oversimplified; I had developed the character that I wanted by the six-hour mark). On the whole though, more game and more character development would have been better, for sure.

On the plus side though, I can't stress enough the DX1 vibe that was present in DX2. The demo felt like a shallow rip-off of the first game but there were times in the full version where, I swear, I felt like I was playing the original game (in a good way). Maybe it was using my Vision Enhancement to watch the greasels jump around on the other side of a wall, maybe it was the fact that I had been playing 10 hours straight, but in the end I lost sight of all the things that annoyed me about the new game.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:51 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe just finished yestoday at night also DeusEx2.Well first hours in the Tarsus facility i thought the storyline sucked and all and no more cool J.C Denton and even no more skill points and all this(Btw if i remember correctly i didnt like DeusEx1 first hours also but after i played some hours damn it hooked me up pretty hard ).
Imo the new engine is really cool i havent seen so good havoc and graphics yet in any game also i liked the AI it was kinda normal smart the enemys if they seen u didnt run straight at u they tryed to hide themself behind walls and other places and they didnt shoot u at the start ,they throw u a granade in the first place(emp granade , spiderbomb , flashpack).
Also the game was pretty nicely made that it actually has 4 different endings and u couldent success every mission u needed to chose what missions u gonna do
The Bad thing what i didnt like about the game was that this time Wine , Beer , Cigarettes(well they didnt give any health also inDX1) didnt heal u anymore they decreased ur health so those items were pretty useless.
It Would be cool if there will be DeusEx3 also but i cant think right now how it would start i wont tell u how it ends and all this cos u gonna need to find out it by youself

*Sorry for bad english*
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:32 pm