Any Ryzom PLayers In The House??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Any Ryzom PLayers In The House??

Ive got a low-30's warrior hacking thru the game, anyone else hanging out on Windermeer server these days?
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:44 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Hey, im getting sick of Planetside (i just closed the account) and want to try Ryzom. So i just ordered Saga of Ryzom and will join you on Friday most likely. I will tell my character name here once i log in. Cyu soon!

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:15 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Nice!

Its a pretty good game, Ammon. I think youll like it, it's kinda different.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:52 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Okey im pissed now...

Appearantly the bastards wont accept my credit card. They dont even have an option for Discover, so i had to use my Mother's VISA card, which is a pain. And then they wont accept the payment from a fully functional VISA. So it looks like i wasted $50 and was ripped off, and i cant play the game...

EDIT -- hold on, i found out the problem. the credit card has a problem, so she is gonna call them on Monday to find out what the problem is. so i cant play until Monday, at least.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:03 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

bummer!

I guess that's the reason I havent been able to find an Ammon anywhere

No big, it'll work out.

PS- get ICQ, helps with coordinating online activities better than this

http://www.icq.com/download/
Post Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:25 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Okey now im really pissed...

I tried a different VISA card. Same thing. Wont accept it. Goodbye Ryzom!

EDIT -- okey, so i kept trying, and finally got in! i had to use my moms computer, grrrrr... so anyway, expect to see me in there tonight.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:32 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Well, sorry man, but i dont like the game Ryzom. I tried though. At least i tried, really hard, to like it... The graphics quality are okey, but thats not it. I just dont like the style of the game. Its not something i would want to play. There is too much, shall i say, french art influence in it. Its way too artsy for my taste. I mean, the player characters look retarded. Im just gonna wait for WoW and EQ2 betas, and play some single player games until then.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:17 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yep, the no dungeons thing is a big minus, I want dungeons to explore. Im already sick of tabulating and calculating this and that to try and figure out what to use. I want to have levels that I achieve, and then get stronger and be able to use better equipment. I dont want to have to find a lvl30 sword, and use lvl30 abilities with it, and then have to change swords 5 levels later when it's not my optimal anymore. They tout this "skill creation" feature like some big plus or something, to me its an obscure pain in the ass. You know, when I hit a certain level, give me a better spell. Give me a better attack. Instead, its time to crunch the numbers and figure out this and that or youre wasting this much stamina or mana or whatever.

And having to rely only on players to craft higher level items is so stupid. I wandered around for days fighting with an inferior weapon, waiting for someone to sell a lvl30 sword. By the time one came available, I was almost level 40. Oh well, it's good for getting my feet wet until WOW.

The art direction is ok to me, I just think its kinda... i dunno pretentious. Its all heavily Captain Planet environmental wacko earth mother type crap. Im no "Gaia" worshipper here, and even tho the game doesnt use that terminology, it has a heavy environmentalist wacko bent to it.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:14 am
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
The art direction is ok to me, I just think its kinda... i dunno pretentious. Its all heavily Captain Planet environmental wacko earth mother type crap. Im no "Gaia" worshipper here, and even tho the game doesnt use that terminology, it has a heavy environmentalist wacko bent to it.

Haha. I noticed that during beta testing as well. I wasn't that impressed overall to be honest.

EDIT: I really enjoyed the gui [of having those four switchable menu setups] though once I got used to it.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:15 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I liked the interface quite a bit as well, they did that part of the game rather well. I was acclimated pretty quickly to the menu system, and was able to swing the view around really easily while running using the left-mouse-button-free-look thing. After I got the hang of that, no mobs really suprised me, I could keep a pretty much 180 deg sweep going back and forth while on the move.

One thing that is very detrimental to the gameplay is the intense difficulty of mobs past 35-ish in fighting skill. I messed around with it for a while tonight, and was pretty let down again. By the color system, mobs whose designation is green are your level. Orange and Blue will totally stomp you, even in a group. Well, here I was with a group of fellow mid 30ish low 40- fighters and we are struggling and losing warriors against greens like "Hard Kippees". These are supposedly our level, Im clobbering "moderate kippees" by myself. But take the next step, and its suicide. This makes soloing totally impossible, when just across the proverbial mason-dixie line, all the mobs are orange and blue.

I guess I could just run around killing gingos for weeks. Nope, think Im gonna go play something else.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:51 am
morphem
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just passin thru & read this thread.
Thought i 'd post my view of the game as i actually play it ( Lvl 101 heavy armsman ) for a month now.

First off, the previous comments ( "game made for wacko environmentalists, gaia worshippers, too much french art influence "etc... ) are total non sense.

Everyone's entitled to his opinion though i guess.

Btw it's possible to solo even at very high levels, just explore a bit & you'll find areas for all kind of levels.

Now how's Ryzom in a few words?

Beautiful, deep, huge & challenging.

Saga of Ryzom is the best mmorpg to get published in years.
My advice : check it out
Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:38 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I had actually thought about getting this game, but after hearing what Ammon had to say about it I probably wont.

He and I seem to like the same style and type of games. And I trust his opionon, so I guess Ill just wait until EQ2.
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:41 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:
Btw it's possible to solo even at very high levels, just explore a bit & you'll find areas for all kind of levels.

Like I said Morphem, Im sure you can run around killing gingos (space coyotes i guess) for weeks solo. First you kill the "angry" gingo, then the "angrier" gingo, then the "really pissed" gingo, then if you really get lucky the "really really pissed" gingo. Im sorry, I dont feel that sitting around in one spot waiting for the next level of pissed off space coyote to spawn is fun or engaging gameplay. If chunks of my real-world social life is going to be traded for some online fantasy realm, that friggen realm better be worth it.

The borders of the main area once you get to the mainland are clear on the North and South ends, you simply cannot venture past those areas solo and expect to live, when the color rating of everything past that point is just flat out suicide. I couldnt venture past those areas with a small group, but yes Im sure that another 20 hours of progressively pissed-off rabid space coyote from hell slaughtering gameplay later that Id be able to handle another 1/8 of a mile farther in gameworld terrain. It's not worth the cost.

I explored everything, I wanted to break out of the area I was entrapped and explore, that's how I play this type of game. Ill play for hours with no other goal than checking out the virtual world. I like standing high up on some ridge, and looking out to some point in the distance and making my goal just "getting there". Yes, Im sure I could have played longer and maybe Im all wet on the later gameplay, but after 2 weeks of play, the game just lost me. It aint worth it, it simply isnt worth the time.

And the lag, oh man these people are talking about "large scale mass-creature attacks on outposts", the outposts themselves are practically a crawl as it is with any sort of populace there, I cant imagine 40 space coyotes from hell all rushing and it being anything but a crawl.

If you like it, more power to you. As for me, this game was unique in one respect that no other game has been for me. That is, this game being the first where I actually enjoyed the newbie island far more than I enjoyed the later game. You can readily buy weapons you need from vendors, you get to battle all kinds of new monsters, and you actually progress to where you have sort of conquered the island.
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:36 pm