Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Very very early project( middle eastern mytholgy influence)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
ArS
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Very very early project( middle eastern mytholgy influence)

Well my project is principally influenced by Persian, Hindu and a little Egyptian mythology.

Dont think that I have a design doc ready by now,I just got myself together to start the research yesterday.

Its basically a Ultima style rpg (bacause of the interactivitie w/ the game world).
A lot of magick, demons walking about and a few of side-jobs that Im thinking about.

Any thoughts on gameplay, insigths on those mythologies and others you think I could use and some recommended reading.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:55 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Maybe set it in Rig-Veda (the oldest known civiliztion/city in the world).

Please use turn-based combat and have a detailed character creation/development.

Please include a race called midget.

Please make all the females big busted and lavacious, preferable topless or totally naked.

Please include plenty of "evil-doers" and "never-do-wells" or even some some "slack-jawed yokels."

Every chapter should have a fart joke of course.

An old lady that cackles and throws cats at passers-by is always a nice touch.

I also enjoy when the music changes when you enter combat to a nice "duka duka duka duka-diki diki diki ki. Aaooogggaaa. Repeat."

Please only consider my first two ideas. They are all I have to offer.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:39 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I think you're on to something there, Roqua. It sounded good to me anyway.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:57 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
Maybe set it in Rig-Veda (the oldest known civiliztion/city in the world).

Er, the Rig Veda is the oldest of the Vedas, some of the holy scriptures of Hinduism.

quote:
Please use turn-based combat and have a detailed character creation/development.

I second this.

ArS, a few questions if you wouldn't mind. You've touched upon one of my favorite subjects (Eastern religions and thought).

Why did you choose Near Eastern/Indian mythological influences?
What type of engine do you plan to use--2D or 3D? And what programs do you plan to use? Art? What programming language?
What's your estimated development time?
And is this a project where you're doing most of the work on your own or are you willing or wanting to bring on extra help?

For Persian mythology, you'll need to look up as much as you can on Zoroastrianism. Zoroastrianism used to be the major religion of Persia until the spread of Islam replaced it as the state religion. Some Persians did not convert to Islam and instead traveled eastward into India, where today they are known as the Parsis (or Parsees). Also keep in mind there are two forms of Zoroastrianism, an earlier and a later one, that use different but related terms. Of course, you will want to look up things on Zoroaster (also called Zarathustra/Zarathushtra), the prophet and originator of Zoroastrianism. You may want to look up things on Mithraism, which was an exotic cult and later popular religion during Roman times.

Hinduism has a vast selection of literature and scriptures. If you want to go chronologically, start with the Vedas, which are the oldest of the scriptures and your way up through such things as the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads. However, Hinduism is not so much one religion as a thousand religions under a broad label or category, and there is specific worship and traditions for each of the gods. One needs to see how the caste, religious, and societal systems interrelate, because that is part of the key to understanding Indian thought. Also should look into reincarnation and its associated concepts (nirvana vs. samsara, "release," etc.). Hindu philosophy and theology really is a thing to behold. Also note there are traditions similar to Hinduism that take some ideals to the next level, such as Jainism, in which the practitioner renounces all ties to the world and does no harm to any living thing, animal or plant. Unfortunately, a Jain often starves to death in pursuit of true ahimsa ("nonviolence" toward any living thing). As strange as that sounds, it is highly respected and even desired by those who have renounced the illusory, mortal life.

For Egyptian mythology, you should see if you can find a book on Egyptian mythology, and also get a copy of The Book of the Dead, which was the funerary text often put into sarcophagi. The Book of the Dead was essentially a magic guidebook to help the dead's spirit pass into heaven, through incantations, tricks, and techniques to fool and persuade the Egyptian gods. Also know what ma'at means, such as the feather weighed against the heart on scales.

Hope this helps. This may not be so much research as the undertaking of a life's work.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:01 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Namirrha
Er, the Rig Veda is the oldest of the Vedas, some of the holy scriptures of Hinduism.

Rig Veda is also believed to be the oldest city in the world. It was in India, and a lot of Hindu's beliefs came from that city's roots.

"The site of the ruined city was not discovered until the 1920s, near a village bearing
that name still. Yet in this 1896 translation of the Rig Veda, a major ..."

http://users.cyberone.com.au/myers/rig-veda.html

I know things.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having a problem trying to find information on it on the internet, but I am 99% certain that a City named Rig Veda or what they call Rig Veda existed 12 thousand years ago in India and was the basis for the Rig Veda book. Or because of the book they call the city Rig Veda.

I did a paper on popular misconceptions and the oldest city in the world was one of them (which changes what people think of as the oldest civilization).

It is driving me nuts that I can't find much on it now. I know I didn't make it up in the paper. But since I can't find any quick and easy to read information on it I can't say I'm right.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:01 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
quote:
Originally posted by Namirrha

Rig Veda is also believed to be the oldest city in the world. It was in India, and a lot of Hindu's beliefs came from that city's roots.

"The site of the ruined city was not discovered until the 1920s, near a village bearing
that name still. Yet in this 1896 translation of the Rig Veda, a major ..."

http://users.cyberone.com.au/myers/rig-veda.html

Except the line preceding the ones in your quote says: "6.27.5 (Book 6, Hymn 27, Verse 5) names the city of Harappa (calling it Hariyupiya). The site of the ruined city was not discovered until the 1920s..." Harappa != Rig Veda. It doesn't make sense from an etymological point of view if you examine the name--"Rig" comes from Sanskrit "ric" which is "praise or verse" and "Veda" comes from "vid" which means "to know, to see, to have insight of" (such as in Latin, "video" means "I see"). So Rig Veda might be translated as "Praises or Verses of Knowing/Knowledge." That doesn't sound like a city name, but the title does fit the collection of religious hymns and verses aptly.

quote:
It is driving me nuts that I can't find much on it now. I know I didn't make it up in the paper. But since I can't find any quick and easy to read information on it I can't say I'm right.

If you could find any info on this I would appreciate it. I haven't read as much on Indian history as I have on European and Japanese history. For me, the bait always lies in a culture's religion or mythology, and that draws me in so I study the history. Indian culture, history, and religion is much more expansive and has more literature written about these than, say everything on Zoroastrianism, so I haven't been able to even get a good sampling, other than casual readings into their religious texts like the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:55 pm
ArS
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well I think it haves very rich content that hasnt been exploited enough.

What type of engine do you plan to use--2D or 3D? And what programs do you plan to use? Art? What programming language?
well since I dont know any prgramming or art skills(I draw a little), this is mainly a project in the back of my head. Im doing the design only( I know how this sounds that this is only a dream project thatt cant be done, but Im not putting things "like I want a world that reacts to every single thing you do and have the best MP ever and yada yada yada best game ever"

And is this a project where you're doing most of the work on your own or are you willing or wanting to bring on extra help?
Well, if you wanna help, youre welcome to do so, but think of it as pre-pre-pre production.
thanks for the info.

But remeber, its not based on those mythologies, its INFLUENCED.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:53 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I found my powerpoint with the information. It has many things like negroid skulls being found in Brazil which would disprove Native Americans actually being the most Native Americans (they have mongoloid skulls). Man's life starting 80-120k years ago on the mid-western coast of Africa and moving a mile or so up or down the coast and around the world. (It was formally thought that the oldest skull of man was found in a cave in France or "Gual". The three main branches of homosapien (negroed, mongaloid, and caucasoid).

And the first city/civilization on the world was Rig Veda in India 12k BC.

And other things on Like Timbuctoo and stuff like that.

I must have found that somewhere but I can't find it again. I know I didn't make it up, I found it interesting when I read it. But this was just a speach for Comm class and I probably didn't put much effort into checking resources. So it looks like I'm wrong. My idiotness is proved once again.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:42 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by ArS
Well I think it haves very rich content that hasnt been exploited enough.

I agree. Asia has a lot that has not been explored and is unfamiliar to the Western world. As an Asian, I can't tell you how much I'd like other people to be able to understand my heritage as I understand theirs, having grown up in two worlds.

quote:
well since I dont know any prgramming or art skills(I draw a little), this is mainly a project in the back of my head. Im doing the design only( I know how this sounds that this is only a dream project thatt cant be done, but Im not putting things "like I want a world that reacts to every single thing you do and have the best MP ever and yada yada yada best game ever"

I understand. Most of us have game ideas which would be neat if developed. I think developing a game is in many ways similar to writing a story. Sometimes I write short stories in my spare time. It becomes a daunting task when I realize not only must I improve the storytelling itself, but so much is required to support and build up the story's background. To make the incredible credible. For instance, I'm working on a short story about a monk in ancient Japan. I meandered and became confused after the first 2 pages. The more I wrote, the more questions I asked until I could not go on. Readers can tell when a writer is lying to them. I know when I'm lying to myself. I didn't do the research, so I was clueless about customs, shrines, flora and fauna of the area I was writing about. I'd forgotten the relevant details important to the story.

In the same way, when developing a game, we have to take into account all the factors, learn the necessary skills (or have them and improve them), build up the background, write the dialogue, design quests, code, debug, and a whole lot more. It is easily more complicated and monumental than writing a short story. So where do we begin? With what we have. Where do we end? Where the road takes us.

quote:
Well, if you wanna help, youre welcome to do so, but think of it as pre-pre-pre production.
thanks for the info.

But remeber, its not based on those mythologies, its INFLUENCED.

I wish I could, but I'm tied up with studies and research most of the time. The last RPG I played and beat was Gothic. That was some time ago. Developing your own personal mythology and world based on these will be difficult, but extremely rewarding. It's all right to let ideas age a bit. They're like wines.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:58 pm