Usergroups
Warning! Do not buy nor play GOTHIC!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
jackchaos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I recommend that you NOT buy Gothic. Because if you do, your expectations of future games will only meet you with disappointment. If you play Gothic and beat it, you will suffer post-gothic-syndrom. An acute disorder where you will mindlessly seek out new games that are as GOOD as or play JUST LIKE GOTHIC. And of course, only meeting with disappointment.

If you play Gothic, shortly after you beat it, all your time will be spend wondering when Gothic 2 will come out. Nothing else will seem important to you. Your wife, girlfriend, friends will abandon you!

You can always replay Gothic to ease your anxiety, but it will never be the same.

Imagine meeting Drew Barrymore, she falls in love with you. You live together in happiness and wealth for 12 months. Then all of a sudden she dumps you and your picking your dinner out of a dumpster. That's the feeling you will get after playing Gothic. So! Take my recommendation. If you want to continue enjoying your amateurish medeocre video games and live life ignorant of the world, then DONT BUY GOTHIC!.

[ This Message was edited by: jackchaos on 2001-12-30 23:56 ]
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 5:54 am
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

Hell yeah!

Neverwinter nights and Wold of warcraft might cure it though.

THats if they come out soon enough.

We dont another Caesar Romero's Diakatana again
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:09 am
Chewriter
Village Leader
Village Leader

How true, how very true. I have five games strewn about here, none of them come even vaguely close. So, I play Gothic again, thinking maybe I'll beat the sleeper as a digger.

BTW: I've been waiting for Warcraft III for sooooooo long now. I got the original Warcraft when it first came out. My entire RTS gaming life is spent waiting. I'd almost forgotten about Warcraft it has been so long.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:13 am

Why is this game sold "as is"??
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:39 am

mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

why is it sold as is ?

MAYBE : they dont want to be help resopnsible for the health problems, that you may incure, from Not sleeping anymore.

or: that you may go balistic, in your town with a sword. and someone try to blame it on Gothic.

or:it may cause you to go broke going All out Building A New bad Ass machine .( just so you can get a flawless game) as we all want.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 9:28 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

I would say it is sold as is because although it is the best RPG I have ever played, it is buggier that a wood pile. This thing has scripting bugs that the developers must have known about. As non linear as parts of this are it is amazing how certain quests need to have this done before that or it won't work, and this is not because it makes sense, it is simply because coding it so that the tasks for a quest could be done in any order when it makes sense would have been extra work. They already patched the worst of it in the German version and dont' plan on patching the English version no matter how much you complain, that is why it is sold as is. And I still love it.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 9:37 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

What's so amazing Brak is that two people can play the game and have completely different experiences with it.

I never once encountered a single bug my first time through the game and the clock at the end said 83 hours. I went everywhere, did everything I could find.

Then, my second time through, I new what was going to happen, so I did stuff in a different order to "prepare" myself and I experienced a few bugs.

Then, during another run through, I experienced a totally different problem than what happened the first time.

All software has problems, and Gothic seems to have "random" issues that come and go. Hard to patch that kind of stuff.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 10:03 pm

Hah! Well put. I supose you could always go play Evercrack. I noticed some of the environment sounds were taken from it and Diablo I I believe. I hope they do a sequal or at least make annother installment in this rich world.

BTW I have met Drew Barrymore, her parents wouldn't let her do anything so I am assuming marriage would be controled also.

Faelon
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 10:15 pm

SciRoCCo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well i feel the same way, but Winzardry 8 cured it for me, but now its harder tooo quit playing Wizardry 8 then it was quiting smoking.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 12:00 am
Akhilles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This game was a total disappointment. Why make a game that goes against the user interface of dozens of successful other games?
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:10 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-01-01 10:10, Akhilles wrote:
This game was a total disappointment. Why make a game that goes against the user interface of dozens of successful other games?

I felt that way to for a long time; but like people have said (which I didn't believe) you will get used of the controls.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:18 pm
Chewriter
Village Leader
Village Leader

I see these control problems as somewhat of a nit. There aren't that many to learn. Unlike a game like Black and White (Great game) that was an entire departure from a control aspect, which, for a long while detracted from the game. I had similar issues with Sacrifice. But both were unique gaming experiences enough to overcome the difficult controls.

Gothic isn't unique in the sense of Genre, but IS in the fabulousilonomy with which it pushed the experience. (fabulousilonomy is German for "Way Cool")
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:46 pm

Its horrible man, i dont know what to do.i need a new fix. i refuse to crawl on hands and knees to a internet gaming dealer for a fix cause im not repaying for my game every dmn month. and even if i could id be horribly dissapointed by the goofy lookin clothes and non realistic superprettified everquest.but its too late im hooked on gothic there is no other. my friend and i have been sucked in. we talk about snappers attaking us in the woods. we compared all the lord of the rings charachters to gothic ones. we both went out and bought swords. World of warcraft looks promising but it could be a decade before its actually developed.I dont like the gameplay of wizardry 8. is there no help?
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:04 am

Cant wait for Elder Scroll 3 Morrowind.pant pant!when?oh when?arg!Must play gothic.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:55 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

After my experience with Gothic, I tried Wizardry 8...

At first I was impressed, but actually, I got tired of it... I couldnt... Uhm... Im getting to old... Or something...

Wizardry 8 is really "old-school"...

Like, spawning monsters... Everywhere... You did something once, you cleansed the place, and then needed to go back and try something new (like trying out the shiny key you found) and you have to wade through new monsters that have spawned in your way, monsters pops up in places where they do not belong, and unlikely-to-cooperate monsters (of total different species) co-operate against you...

When I had to defeat the same horde of 25 ants in the same place (that took at least 10-15 minutes to defeat) I got tired... Very, very tired... Constant turn-based struggles can easily becomes tiresome...

So I had to give up... Then I started to go through Throne of Bhaal that had rested in my bookshelf for a couple of months... And boy, that was MY fix... =o) The end almost made me fell tears of joy... It is really good...

But sure, after going through Alone in the Dark 4 (my current project) I will continue with Wizardry 8...

But it will take awhile until i can experience a game like Gothic again...

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:00 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next