Summoned Demon by Subeiris
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Ivalen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Summoned Demon by Subeiris

Oh man, I hit this demon with 4 incinerates and 1 fireball from a scroll. I drank 4 healing potions and 3 mana potions, and tried swatting with my weapon... and he still wouldn't fall.

Like most I end up running around the altar like a numbnut trying to cast spells and stay out of harms way.

Interestingly sometimes the beastie seems to lose me, but towards the end it degenerates in to a ring-around-the-rosy :)

Please will someone roll a natural 20 for me so I can whup it's arse.

PS I read in the manual about Demons "They cannot remain in Arx for long, since it requires immense amounts of .... " blah blah.

So I thought I could just keep running around and around until it's time was up too.... no joy !
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:52 am
mikey
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hehe. Dunno, good ol' stab and slash worked for me. Fought two of them actually (the second one if you fail to save the girl).
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:57 am
madmarcos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i have built up a mage and my fireballs rock any other creature in this game (although it takes 2 for liches). but none of my offensive magic was worth a damn on the demon. so do bless and ac on you and try weaken ac on it and beat the hell outta it. drink a few life potions and you should be fine.
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:04 am
bear
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I found an interesting way of defeating the demon (bug?). I run up to the sacrifice table and jumped on top of it. The demon would walk around the table (in a semi-circle) and only hit me when he was directly in front. When he was a bit off, I could hit him easily without him touching me. With this, it still took about 15 blows to kill the thing!!
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:11 am
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

I used poison on my sword before the fight, took it down pretty quick after that....
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:08 am
Palegod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Life Drain should kill any demon in one cast. If your mana is very low, you might need a potion, but most likely not.
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:26 am
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

Good lord man, lol...

Did you have Life Drain that early in the game? You must have searched EVERYWHERE before advancing the plot....
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:52 am
toddhd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Never hit me...

I don't know if this would work again for anyone, but..

I jumped up over the altar, and then off to the side. The demon followed me onto the table, but once I ran off to the side, he just sat there, stuck on the table. He never moved!

I just sat there with my bow and shot at him until he died. It took a LOT of arrows, but then again, he was a fish in a barrel. I didn't take any damage, or waste any precious resources on him.

Might have been a fluke, but ya never know.
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:26 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I guess your success really depends on how you actually developed your character. I personally went for a mage in the beginning and was pretty good at casting spells and just needed a few extra blows of my trusty sword...
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:08 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Indeed, it seems that "easiness" in dealing with the deamon depends on the type of character. When my very thiefy, but weak characte rin stealthy leather armor and with a sabre got locked in the bright room with the deamon, I could not do much. I had to use the altar trick and it took me a LOT of arrows before he died.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:54 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Same here though I didn't use any tricks... I just prepped some magic, fired all I could at it and then went at it with my blade using quite a bit of health potions.

In my second game I had much better armour/weapons and probably was a level or two higher and did the same thing and I didn't even waste a single potion.

I find Arx a bit weird for that... Basically the game's super easy once you've run through it...
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:02 pm
djethan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

To beat the demon the regular way (i assume):

1. Get a decent weapon, you should have a saber by now, at least. Leather armor should be sufficient.

2. Don't bother hitting him unless your strike meter is fully charged, them whack him. When you give him a good hit, he pauses to recover. Meanwhile you're charging your next hit and backpedaling.

3. Get good at running around and around the room backwards while you repeat step 2, only letting him get close when you're about to hit him. You should be able to kill him soon enough and go through maybe 2 heal potions. (The lich is certainly more difficult to kill without exploiting its stupidity).

---------

The other way to beat any strong enemy in this game is to exploit the weak AI. Find a place where they get stuck out of reach and pummel them with arrows or get just close enuoght to whack 'em. The lich earlier in the level will get stuck behind his crypt. The demon will have a hard time hitting you on the sacrifice table, etc. It works in a pinch, but it's not much fun to play the game this way.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:54 pm
Lordof_Destruction
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well... that demon huh? He's pretty easy - considering how you do it...
I've defeated it twice (once while I can't save Shany - but I restarted and did it) and once with Suiberis...

1 - Like he said - get a decent weapon. In Level 5 (the level with the twin traders) there's a Bejeweled Long Sword of Extra Damage around the stairs leading to the upper level where 2 trolls are. It's stuck to a corpse (not in it). If you can't find it... buy the Ciprian Long Sword from the blacksmith... If not, poison your weapon (preferably sabre...) There's a better weapon though - the Slayer Blade... that is if you would kill all the goblins first... and let them finish off the twin traders!

2 - If you're using a single handed weapon get the tall shield from Carlo's guard room... That should supply you enough defense (if your Close Combat skill is high enough). The tall shield should be on the wall. There are two 2-handed long swords here too...

3 - Get a good armor. The armor from the Goblin King's room should be good enough (lockpick the chest beside the 'potty').

4 - Precast a few powerful spells (incenerate isn't for me though - it eats up too much mana... use fireball instead...)

Well, I did all this and killed the demon with around 10 slashes and 2 fireballs... Hope this helps you~
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:40 am