Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A tree with eyes near Sagitta the Herb Witch's cave.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
JensJeremy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A tree with eyes near Sagitta the Herb Witch's cave.

I wonder if anyone ever saw the tree with eyes near Sagitta's cave? I was walking from there back towards Onar's land, and spotted a tree on a hill to my right. It had eyes, and when I moved towards the tree, its eyes closed. Doesn't work at night time, though. Guess it's sleeping.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:37 am
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

A tree with eyes?

Lawanda raises an eyebrow.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:06 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

I think somebody has been smoking some swampweed.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:20 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Never heard of such a tree. If you can reproduce it make a screenshot.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:20 am
Spiro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

HA, that was absolutely hilarious.

Ok, here is the way to go. Facing the entrance to Sagitta's cave run past it on the left side. Keep going until you see a black gnarly looking tree, it looks dead or something. Walk up to it, so it is in view but to the left of you and look up the hill ahead. There is a tree there that appears to have two white eyes right at it's base. If you don't see anything back up a couple steps, and make sure you are looking up the hill, not down the valley next to it on the left. It really is funny, but it isn't an easter egg.

On closer inspection it turns out the eyes are two Digger meats and three or four dark mushrooms, but at that distance the light effect isn't being calculated properly and they are in full brightness. When you get closer they appear to close because the lighting gets calculated right and they become under shade. It wouldn't work at night because at night it would default to no light instead of full light at distance.

Still a very funny and good catch. Nice work Jens
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:01 am
JensJeremy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ah yes...

Well I have a saved game right where I can see it, but how do I take a snapshot? And are you sure it isn't an easter egg? The first time I saw it, I freaked out... I mean, after all there is a graveyard close by. After seeing that "Fish Food" cut scene after swimming too far out, I expected to see the tree eat me if I got too close And it seems too "on purpose" to not be an easter egg. I think it was put there to spook people like me.

quote:
Originally posted by Spiro
HA, that was absolutely hilarious.

Ok, here is the way to go. Facing the entrance to Sagitta's cave run past it on the left side. Keep going until you see a black gnarly looking tree, it looks dead or something. Walk up to it, so it is in view but to the left of you and look up the hill ahead. There is a tree there that appears to have two white eyes right at it's base. If you don't see anything back up a couple steps, and make sure you are looking up the hill, not down the valley next to it on the left. It really is funny, but it isn't an easter egg.

On closer inspection it turns out the eyes are two Digger meats and three or four dark mushrooms, but at that distance the light effect isn't being calculated properly and they are in full brightness. When you get closer they appear to close because the lighting gets calculated right and they become under shade. It wouldn't work at night because at night it would default to no light instead of full light at distance.

Still a very funny and good catch. Nice work Jens

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:25 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Well I have a saved game right where I can see it, but how do I take a snapshot?

Hit the 'Print' button on your keyboard. (That will copy the current picture displayed onto the clipboard.) Then quit the game and open a graphics program such as MS Paint, I-View, Paintshop Pro, Photoshop - any tool should work. There you choose the 'Edit' menu and select 'Paste'. That should fill in the current clipboard buffer. Now save it (preferably as JPEG) and you're done.
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:05 am
Razer
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

"Treebeard is that you????"

"The return of The King is due wednesday. WHAT the ........ are you doing in Gothic 2.That's it!!!! No more orcs for you.And if I catch you in Gothic 3 I'm going to make toothpicks out of you "

Fragment from "Very early Sunday
morning"

Author( Razer ) unknown
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:21 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I saw it too. Just a few days after reading the first post. I didn't figure out what the cause was but the reflections make sence. I picked up the items and didn't see the eyes again when I backtracked my steps.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:24 pm