The wait...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

The wait...

It has been a long time since a good RPG game were released (Morrowind, NWN)... But this year seems to be a good year for RPG:ers...

These are the games I am waiting for:

Gothic 2 Release: May/June

Lionheart Release: 12-Aug

Greyhawk: ToEE Release: TBA (or does someone know?)

Im pretty sure all of the will be great games... what other RPG games are we waiting for?
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:43 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

It should end up being a good year but it's been a drag so far. TOEE has turned up on Gamestop with a date of Sept 2nd - who knows how accurate that is.

In addition to your list, Rawis, I'm waiting for Pirates of the Carribean (still hate the name, but anyway..) and there's a bunch of smaller efforts that could be interesting like Mistmare. I hope Garrett's review comes in early (please?) .
Post Thu May 01, 2003 12:44 am
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ahhh, the wait is maddening!.... Gothic II, Deus Ex 2, Lionheart, Mistmare (maybe)... but when???? Can't take it anymore - I need to play some game that makes your imagination work, rather than reflexes...
Post Fri May 02, 2003 5:50 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Goldenland is in TB and Inquisitor is promising.

Regarding ToEE it is scheduled for early September
Post Fri May 02, 2003 12:52 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Temple of Elemental Evil looks amazing.

I think the way it works out Mistmare will be the only new crpg on the market for a long time.

I cant be sure which ones Ill play. Definitely TOEE. But thats a long ways off.
Post Fri May 02, 2003 1:00 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, am I the only one who thinks Mistmare is a terrible game?

Anyway, I got both Deus Ex and Anachronox today, so I'll have something to play for awhile.
Post Fri May 02, 2003 6:50 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis

Anyway, I got both Deus Ex and Anachronox today, so I'll have something to play for awhile.

Mistmare's premise isn't that bad, actually. Neither are the graphics or the dialogs, they contribute positively to the overal atmosphere of the game. But you're right - it IS a terrible game. Why? - because of the controls. Never before saw I such unintuitive and awkward controls as the ones in Mistmare demo. Their forums are filled with players' complaints about the controls, however , the devs are arrogant and stubborn to the point that they claim that gamers don't know how to play games and aren't smart enough to figure out how their perfect controls work. They better get the damn controls right if they wanna get any money from people this side of the ocean.

Oh, by the way, I "tried to try" Anachronox and fount it to be awful. Maybe it's just me though. So have fun waiting for Gothic II and others
Post Fri May 02, 2003 9:21 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by NeverDark
quote:
Originally posted by Rawis

Mistmare's premise isn't that bad, actually. Neither are the graphics or the dialogs, they contribute positively to the overal atmosphere of the game. But you're right - it IS a terrible game. Why? - because of the controls. Never before saw I such unintuitive and awkward controls as the ones in Mistmare demo. Their forums are filled with players' complaints about the controls, however , the devs are arrogant and stubborn to the point that they claim that gamers don't know how to play games and aren't smart enough to figure out how their perfect controls work. They better get the damn controls right if they wanna get any money from people this side of the ocean.

Oh no, its not just the controles. The graphics isn't THAT good, and the story is kinda boring, and the fights isn't funny either. And you play some wimpy monk, yay! Not...
Post Sat May 03, 2003 2:25 am
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

I can't believe you find the Mistmare's graphics unappealing! They are masterpiece compared to the graphics of NWN for example. Can't comment on the story though, because I abandoned the demo due to the terrible controls. But the few dialogs I saw were written quite well, and many NPCs even had very professionally sounding voiceovers. But anyway, I'll prolly skip this one for now because Gothic II is to be released at about the same time with Mistmare.
Post Sat May 03, 2003 4:20 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I liked the graphics for mistmare.

It uses the same engine as No one lives forever 2.

I havent played gothic 2 yet, but I get every impression mistmare characters are more detailed. Those two games might be similar. Neither is as nice looking as morrowind or quite a few of the recent FPS games.

Certainly looks a lot better than NWN but NWN is older than most anything still for sale in a computer store as new. Except that purge game.

I did not get past the first fight scene in the demo, but combat was exactly like NWN, meaning basically click on a monster and youll fight it til its dead with whatever tactic you set up.

Im trying to creak my brain to think of the last major crpg release. I think it was actually Icewind dale 2 in december. If any of these games had been released in the last few months I think they would have made a killing.
Also I highly doubt both lionheart and TOEE will come out in the same week. They wont release what are very similar games to compete with eachother. One will be at least a month after the other one I would bet.
Post Sat May 03, 2003 9:36 am
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by NeverDark
Why? - because of the controls. Never before saw I such unintuitive and awkward controls as the ones in Mistmare demo. Their forums are filled with players' complaints about the controls, however , the devs are arrogant and stubborn to the point that they claim that gamers don't know how to play games and aren't smart enough to figure out how their perfect controls work. They better get the damn controls right if they wanna get any money from people this side of the ocean.

The controls were dreadful initially but they've improved them dramatically and I think the devs were reasonably responsive with the changes. Give it another go with the 1.4 patch.

The graphics are pretty good, IMO. I believe they're likely to release a patch allowing for higher resolutions after it ships.
Post Sat May 03, 2003 10:20 am
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah, I played the demo version 1.4 (the latest one) and the controls are still sh*tty. Seems like the devs purposely tried to violate every GUI design rule there is. I'm not gonna go into details here, but I could mention at least 10 features of the current controls system that should be changed or dropped altogether. It's hard to imagine what controls were in the previous installments of the demo
Post Sat May 03, 2003 2:45 pm
Dhruin

Well, I wouldn't say it's a great interface but I don't think it's that bad. I'd be interested in hearing what you thought the biggest control problems are in v1.4?
Post Sun May 04, 2003 12:48 am
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Aight, here it goes:

1) While using WASD, I couldn't make my character to walk backward, i.e, the S key didn't work for some reason

2) While using WASD, I couldn't access any option with a mouse, unless I pressed TAB to switch the camera view and free the mouse cursor. The manual mentioned some middle mouse button which I don't have.

3) I wasn't able to reassign most of the keys in the Key remap option screen. Whenever I tried to assign a new key to a certain function, I kept getting "Key is already in use" message. I'm used to play with Del/Home/End/PDown keys, but those keys are inaccessible in the demo.

4) I found the interface layout and the need to switch between normal and combat mode utterly awkward, unintuitive and unnecessary overcomplicated. Interface options are hard to find on their weird GUI.

5) The way they implemented the saving function is dumb and annoying and will certainly detract many potential buyers.

6) There's no compass!

I would certainly find more shortcomings if I played the game a little longer, but I'm not even gonna try until they fix the controls. I am not whining, the game, as well as the company, is unknown to majority of people, and I'll easily skip on it if devs want me to. On the other hand, should the interface become simple and convenient (like in NWN or Gothic, for example) I'd gladly give the game a try. They (whatever the company's name is) should realize that they will have to compete against such heavyweight as Gothic II, and they better be prepared. If they lose to Gothic II, they will certainly lose to Lionheart as well, with its brilliant marketing campaign. And after that, they don’t have even a slightest chance against … Deus EX II.
Post Sun May 04, 2003 1:52 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Geneforge2 should be an interesting game if you're not put off by the graphics. I enjoyed the original.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon May 05, 2003 3:01 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next