75%
 75%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author Thread
[= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic...a bit sexist??

Well, I was thinking, is Gothic just a bit sexist?? I mean ALL the people in the game are men, the only women are the whores who work for Gomez. Vote if you agree or disagree with me..
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:59 pm
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I fear the day when realism and logic are labeled taboo in the name of Political Correctness.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:17 pm
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think it's an understatement to say a *bit* sexist. It's seemed to me very sexist, and the women are undeniably looked upon and treated as highly inferior. Not much more than sex objects (naked/bikinied chick in the bath?, leather-clad chick bent over cleaning up in the kitchen?). I mean, it works for the plot, and could also show in a way that males are sleazeball criminals, and that's why they make up 99% of the colony. But to have 'em nothing more than slaves and kinky maids and such ... I mean, that's just a touch extreme. I'm not a big fan of the staunch feminist movement by any means, but Gothic seemed to take it a wee far, much as I loved it. Could just be I'm an American, and that it's more "politically" correct/acceptable in Germany.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:49 pm
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1. The game takes place in a medieval environment based heavily on our own (Europe), socially speaking.

2. Gender equality was non-existant in medieval times for a plethora of reasons.

3. It's a prison colony full of men, who, amazingly, are criminals.

4. Does there really need to be a 4?

p.s. - I, too, am American.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:45 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It's sexist, chauvinist, politically incorrect etc. etc.*. And it's a game.

________
*so am I .
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:57 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

The King put men in the barrier because women, like back in our own medival world, weren't as physically fit (supposebly). Preiod.

The King wanted Ore, so he entrusted men to do it.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:03 pm
Real Life Magician
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Keep in mind...

Keep in mind how the women actually got there. The men were thrown in because they "committed a crime." The women were traded in for ore. Remember the first scene and some discussion throughout the game. The women were sent specifically to be Gomez' slaves. Perhaps it is sexist, perhaps not. I feel that the idea of women being only slaves in the game is somewhat sexist, but when you understand why, it would not make any sense if that's not the case.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:26 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I agree with Velnias, the context has to be taken into account. Were this trading women for ore taking place in a game with a present day or sci-fi type world it would be sexist, but this is a medieval world. In our own medieval times, among the rich, women often were traded for things like land and to strengthen political allegiances. And back then should some noble born knight frequently rape peasant girls I sincerely doubt there would be any repercussions.
I also like Jaz said, it is a game. Since it is a game it should not be taken in the kind of serious light that would allow it to be sexist.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:40 am
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Yes it's very sexist and there's murder too and what not. There are various forms of utterly anti-social behaviour in all fantasy games. IRL we spit on thieves and rogues, to name just something. That's why games are games and RL is RL and never the twain should meet.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:52 am
[= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yea, but the thing is, women can also hold swords... and be warriors and mages, so why didn't they include them? Or maybe the makers are trying to be gentlemen, putting the ladies OUT of the barrier so that they don't have to suffer, and putting the who*es in to do the dirty work
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:01 am
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Yeah well, why did Nabokov, the author of Lolita not use an older girl in his book? :p
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:07 am
[= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Oh and also, ladies in most RPGs are used for their skill in Bow Handling or Spear Handling, they might even be better then men in this art of war.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:08 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

The high dexterity for women in RPGs both does and doesn‘t make sense. They need to make men and women fairly equal in games, generally men get a bonus to strength and women get a bonus to dexterity. Men are physically stronger having more natural muscle mass, and female athletes tend to be more nimble than male athletes. Just look at Olympic gymnastics, the women can do far more impressive things than the men can in that sport. However there is more to dexterity than simply being nimble. Things like speed and balance come into play as well. I have no idea if male or female athletes tend to have better balance so I won’t comment on that. But when it comes to athletes men are faster than women. If you think that is a sexist statement just look at some of the World track and field records. Also you can look at boxing, compare the top female fighters and the top male middle weight fighters, the men obviously punch faster. So I think that in games men and women should have equal dex.
If men are to have a bonus to strength, then I think women should have a bonus to their magic using ability. In games magic usually comes from within the caster’s self, either that or from a God, and in real life women more often take an interest in things that have to do with the inner self emotions, and spirituality than men do. *Keep in mind I’m not saying all do, that would be sexist, but it seems a far greater percentage of women take an active interest in such things.*
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:51 am
VergoldeterMensch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

calm down!
whats wrong to show women in the way gothic does?
and it's just a game, seems to me that you are crying that there is no emancipated woman around. i'm from germany and in germany the most men where pro feminist, and we have much more options for women then for men, women say they want to be handled like men, but they don't want that, they want to be handled better, and they are. and it's a game made from men and the most players were men.
a guy wrote in here, that women can also hold swords... you never had a real sword in your hands, had you? i couldn't fight with it and you too. and does the story need any women in gothic?

there have been written that it's close tho the real medieval. that isn't really correct, but in this time women really didn't fight and where social far under the men. and if you have ever read and hero saga or an old legend, the heroes where men. for example "Wieland der Schmied", women where only a want-to-have subject. in lord of the rings there only men heroes.

i like the game that way it is, and women doesn't have to play a big role in every game (see super mario).
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:19 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

well not to be rude but thats the way it is in real life , there all whores 90% of them any way.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:30 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next