Members
Usergroups
Strangeness...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
REDF0X

Strangeness...

I am happy to report that I have and am running Morrowind on my computer at home, I am running it on a vastly inferior system but have been able (via turning almost every graphical feature to its very lowest setting and tweaking the ini a bit) to get it running up to 20 frames/sec. But just recently I have been experiencing some strangeness that brings it down to <5 fps (I believe 5 fps is the lowest that the in game display will show) ...

It has to do with the textures, for some reason the textures on the ground (I haven't seen it happen on walls or anywhere else) seem to change every time I get a new frame, the change resembles something like a chaotic checker board, with for example path textures butted right up against grass or rock textures. Its not a constant thing, and often if I restart the game I won't see it again for a few minutes but once it starts it seems to stick around, slowing my frame rate horribly.

oh and another thing theres no picture of myself in the inventory menu, it looks like some stretched pixels if theres anything at all, having similar problems with save screen and the map (except for the world map that seems to work, though not well or often)

I would appreciate any help and I can provide the changes I made to the ini and my system specs if they are needed.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 8:42 pm

Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I take it your running the latest video drivers?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 8:45 pm
REDF0X

aye
Post Tue May 21, 2002 9:02 pm

Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

System Specs?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 9:06 pm
REDF0X

thinks, somethink like (I'm not at home)

P3 700 or so
riva TNT (yeah I know I need to upgrade but I'm getting a new comp for sure by the end of the year)
284 MB RAM

I can bring all the stats in with a SS and a list of ini tweaks in tomorrow if you think it'l help.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 9:23 pm

Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

ummm YA Go get a geforce2 pro or ultra for now. They real cheap these days. Donot get a geforc2.3.or4 mx. If it says mx on it dont get it. That means mainstream for desktop use only. If you at least get a geforce2pro or ultra you should be good. Surf the net check it out.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 9:46 pm
REDF0X

So there's no hope otherwise?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 9:51 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There probably is. BUt you'll save yourself a lot of grief spending 50 bucks now. Or better yet 150 and get a card that should last another year or two.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 21, 2002 10:04 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

How much on-board ram does your video card have ()by the way, the TNT chipset is not offically supported by the game)?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 10:15 pm
REDF0X

I know its not supported thats why I'm begging you guys for your assistance instead of demanding it from Betesda as to the onboard ram I'm not sure I'll check when I get home and report back tomorrow.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 10:24 pm

REDF0X

I can handle grief, its the 50 bucks I'm worried about I gotta eat, and on my salary thats about all I can afford (I got the game as a prez)
Post Tue May 21, 2002 10:28 pm

Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You need at least 32 MB.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 10:28 pm
Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If you dont have enough vid card memory your textures will go funny. Also my GF3 had what sounds like the same glitch when I was playing with the quadratic lighting settings in .ini
Check that.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 11:08 pm
REDF0X

I'm using constant right now, but I believe I was having problems before I changed it from linear.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 11:25 pm

Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion
How much on-board ram does your video card have ()by the way, the TNT chipset is not offically supported by the game)?

TNT has 16MB, TNT2/Geforce2 has 32MB.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 12:05 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next