Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Where to spend 40 LP (Is Warrior Mage a viable approach ?)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Danica
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Where to spend 40 LP (Is Warrior Mage a viable approach ?)

My Magician has these stats
clvl 19 . STR 81. Dex 40. 1-H Melee 45%. 4-5 blank Runestones.

In one-on-one combat I can defeat Orc Elites. (I got the hang of parry-counterattack and combos). Right now I am cleaning the Valley of mine, without worrying too much about quests (Chapter 2).

The only spell I use and the only Rune I have learned is Fire Arrow, otherwise it is 1-H weapons all the way.

Seeing that I beefed up melee before becoming a novice and that I develop STR with Strength elixir potions, I have this far avoided developing those at a 2 to 1 cost.

But now, I am very tempted to use my 40 LP to gain 20 1h %. In your opinion, should I do it or should I keep my LP to advance in circles, learn runes and develop Mana as a Magician "should" ?

Last edited by Danica on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:41 am
kugraw
City Guard
City Guard

If you train 2 handed until 30 % (first level) you need less skill points to get 1-handed to 60 percent (next level). 2-handed weapons are also more powerfull. You need 5 skill points each circle and 5 for each new rune. You don't need do learn all runes. You could also invest into alchemy to learn how to make permament potion yourself to imcrease mana level or strength for higher melee damage level. Since you have no bow or cross-bow skill you certainly don't need to improve dexterity. You should boost your mana level to be able to cast a lot of the more powerfull spell before running out of mana. The leader of the mage teaches until 200 and than you can use potions to get the mana level even higher. If you kill all enemies and animals you should be able to reach level 34 or higher. Which gives you plenty of skill points to use. But if you are already in chapter 2 you should be able to learn the 2nd circle and learn fireball which is more powerfull than fire arrow. Just return to the monastery and learn the new circle and spell and than go back to the mines. You can increase you circle every new chapter. Look in the manual to find out which spell does which kind of damage and than decide which spell you want to learn in each circle. If you are a mage you should do most of the fighting with spells and not with melee weapon. Otherwise, what is the point in being a mage.

Kay
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:37 pm
Pendr4gon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by kugraw
If you train 2 handed until 30 % (first level) you need less skill points to get 1-handed to 60 percent (next level). 2-handed weapons are also more powerfull. You need 5 skill points each circle and 5 for each new rune. You don't need do learn all runes. You could also invest into alchemy to learn how to make permament potion yourself to imcrease mana level or strength for higher melee damage level. Since you have no bow or cross-bow skill you certainly don't need to improve dexterity. You should boost your mana level to be able to cast a lot of the more powerfull spell before running out of mana. The leader of the mage teaches until 200 and than you can use potions to get the mana level even higher. If you kill all enemies and animals you should be able to reach level 34 or higher. Which gives you plenty of skill points to use. But if you are already in chapter 2 you should be able to learn the 2nd circle and learn fireball which is more powerfull than fire arrow. Just return to the monastery and learn the new circle and spell and than go back to the mines. You can increase you circle every new chapter. Look in the manual to find out which spell does which kind of damage and than decide which spell you want to learn in each circle. If you are a mage you should do most of the fighting with spells and not with melee weapon. Otherwise, what is the point in being a mage.

Kay

Why? he want to try a fighter-mage... why not i think the best thing about the two gothic it's the open development of the character (even if in gothic2 the strange way in which the weapons style advancement is controlled lower the possible combinations)
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:58 am
Killersan the Imp
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i think its a good idea buy a book from khorinis upper town it teaches you 5% free but the book costs 5000 gold.
mage needs a lot of skillpoints you are going to need 20 skillpoints for 5% 10 to 1h and 10 to 2h
The best way would be that you train ur 1h to 60% and then start saving
SP for magic.
Youll need about 100 skillpoints for magic 30 for circles and about 70 for spells

Hope this helps a bit
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:55 am
Danica
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Warrior-Mage

Yeah I was hoping for a Warrior-Mage Approach. 90+ Strength (Thanks to Dragonroot + King's Sorrel) and as high 1H melee as possible., to compensate for that I inteded to drop trophy skills and not to take any spells from level 1-3 and maybe only 1 spell of level 4 and keep my runestones and LPs for spells of level 5-6.

Warrior-mage approach works well so far: I have almost wiped out the Valley of mines (including the demon in the tower, golems and most lizardmen, orcs and undead) in chapter two with only Flame arrow and Torturer's Axe . I am now level 25 with 85 LP (!) to spend, and I haven't triggered chapter three yet.

I've already read the book that gives +5% melee, so I guess I just have to spend some LP to beef up 1H melee to 60% then start spending them to advance in circles and mana.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:25 am
kugraw
City Guard
City Guard

Nothing wrong with being a fighter mage but if you are a mage you should concentrate on developing your strength. If you are a mage then you can only become a very good fighter if you neglect your magical skills. Anyway, if you learn the most powerfull spells of each circle and level up you mana level the mage is really the most powerfull fighter because he can kill from a great disctance. When I played as a mage I had 30% 1 handed, 30% two-handed and 30% crossbow before I became a novic. I learned alchemy to level up dexterity strength and increase mana level above 200 later in the game. In the course of the game I had enough dexterity and strength to use the most powerful melee weapon and crossbow. This way I was a very good mage and a good fighter with meele weapon and cross-bow. The books only give you 5% for 1 handed and 2-handed weapon if you are not a mage. If you are a mage they only give you 2%. Not really worth the money.

Kay
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:32 am
Danica
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Warrior-Mage

Yeah Kay same approach. Except I neglected 2-H and (Cross)bows completely.

I read the book before becoming a novice hence the +5%. Don't ask me how I could afford it: I did not buy it. I beat him up, took his godies including the book, cast oblivion on him, and then sold him back his stuff including the books Thus, I am running around with 15K gold in chapter two, I heard it is usefull later
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:50 am
NRVkroger
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

what is the best wepon a mage can get, im just wondering wether to go two handed or one handed?
also, where can i find a good wepon in chapter one. (im in chapter two, but im to weak so far, i want to level up more.)
one last question, can you learn a circle of magic per chapter, or what?
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:04 pm
hereticiv
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The DragonBane 2h and the Orc Slayer 1h are the best weapons you can find in chapter one. Both are in the high mountains. For the 2h you need 80str and the 1h you need 65str. Any class can use them also so long as you have the strengh. The Orc Slayer is in the tall Mayan Pyrimid in the chest and the DragonBane is in a cave allong the pass though the woods connecting the high mountains to the woods containing the lighthouse...I believe the cave is near the sun circle...someone may be able to give you more info. Going around to level up and exploring, I had no trouble finding both of them so it is not like they are hidden. Be careful though especially with the dragonsbane because it has some hefty guards...really hefty.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:13 pm
Killersan the Imp
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Danica you should learn summon skeleton (warrior) circle 3 rune i liked it the most (exept the shrink and army of darkness 6 skeletons circle 6 tunes) dont learn other summon runes exept army of darkness and fireball its good in beginning and thers plenty of runes
there will be 15 runes 9 runes are in 5th and 6th chapter

edit: P.S if anyone wants to see the effects of shrink then send me a private message and tell me his/hers e-mail i shrinked the finalboss and took a screenshot from it
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:28 pm
NRVkroger
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

god, is there any way i can train strength that isnt 10 lp for 5 str (oppolos) ?
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:55 am
hereticiv
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Umm, I don't think so. Because of your profession (ie: Mage) you are screwed as far as Str is concerned. My merc needs the same amount to gain Mana so I think it is another way PB tried to stop uber Fighter-Mage classes from appearing in the game. That is why the game forces you to train both swords at the same time (almost) and why your strengh is expensive and my mana. I don't know how I feel about that but whatever, they wanted 3 unique classes this time.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:49 pm
Danica
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Don't worry there is enough King's Sorrel and Dragonroot about to gain 70-80 Strength by chapter 3.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:16 pm