Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How to become a water mage? (help requested)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Dev
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Greetings all.

I'm fairly new to this board, so I hate to start by begging.. but I'm a tad stuck.

I am a rogue in the new camp and I am at level 10. I have completed every quest that I have come across. I am in chapter two, having taken out the minecrawler queen. I have run the message to the mages of fire for Cronos, and I have the choice of becoming a mercenary or not.

Where do I go from here? I am at a total loss as to what to do. I can't find any more quests, unless I head to the sect or old camp.

I'm really interested in becoming a water mage.. when will they give me the offer? I've asked Cronos twice about it, and the second time he just says "we only teach those we trust blah blah blah" (or something to that effect).

Thanks, you guys.

[ This Message was edited by: Dev on 2001-12-10 14:10 ]
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:40 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

As far as I remember you can become mercenary first and water mage later. Start saving learning points for your magic career.

A big part of the main storyline takes place in the Swamp Camp.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 9:17 pm
Dev
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you Gorath, every bit helps

Could I talk some more of you forumites into helping me out?, some more specifics would be great!

Thanks again

Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 9:51 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Have in mind, that it costs ALOT to be skilled in magic. As Level 10 you might have gone to far if you havnt saved your experience.

It costs a total of 140 points to reach Circle 6 in magic, and that 14! levels!!

Besides that you need to spend at least 3-4 levels on only buying Mana! Else you will run out too quickly.
(The thing they say, that spending points on Mana is useless, does not include you if you want to become a mage).

Tips for the Mage:
Unlike popular belief Mage's doesnt need either Strength, Close Range weapons or Dexterity. Nope. Ok, its good in the beginning to survive, but grab the Orc Hammer as soon as you can, wich does decent damage with only 22 strength requirement! Once you reached Level 4 in Magic, weapons are really weak and useless.

Grab the +15 weapon/+15 arrows necklace from Gomez chests in the Old Camp
Buy the best protection rings you can buy from the Baal in the Sect Camp (he's the one educating students beneath a roof with two red banners hanging from it). With the Heavy Water Mage robe and thoose plus thoose artifacts you will be DAMN TOUGH...
DAMN TOUGH...
Again... Damn tough...
105 in armor at that point (plus a incredible amount of other protections) is NOT a joke. =)

Dont forget to buy the magic runes from the sectcamp, specially Storm Fist. Wave of Ice + Storm Fist are an excellent combo against Razors. Also works against many other creatures.

The first powerful spell you reicive are Fire Storm (Circle 4) before that you will be rather geeky as a mage. Dont give up! I promise you, that Mage is FAR more fun than playing a Warrior =)

(solved the game as a Warrior first time I played)

Fun tip for extra XP... Once you got the "Death of undead" rune, whenever you meet a Skeleton Mage, dont take him out as long as he is keeping to summon skeletons. =) Each wave gives you 750 *EASY* xp. =)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:06 am
Dev
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You rock !

Thank you very much sir! that helps quite a bit!

I believe I know why I didn't get the choice to become a mage now.. I squandered my point on other things, when I should have been leaving them open. I guess the game compares levels, if you have enough points.. it hatches the mage offer. If not, it doesn't.

Thanks again
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:37 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Sometimes I give away to much thou, so do the "new camp" with me if I spoil to much
But dont take my stuff

I reached level 36 in the end of the game when I played as a Warrior. That means that there is enough points to reach Circle 6 AND train up to 100 in Mana... Even if you are Level 10 now...

Its your choice thou =)

1-2-3 grade Spoilers about becoming a mage, trying to leave as much as the story out as possible, but still lets you plan for your mage scholarship:

1 Grade Spoiler:
All schools are available to all guilds. You can use fire as a watermage and water as a firemage. you can use sectmagic as a fire/watermage and you can use water/fire magic with a sectmember.

If you join the Old Camp you can upgrade to "Fire Mage" once you killed the minecrawler queen.
Once you taken the oath you can buy Circle 1 for 10 points. Each circle (except the 6th one) costs +5 points from the previous circle. 10/15/20/25

If you join the New Camp you can become "Water Mage" once you becomed a Mercenary (also after killing the mine crawler queen).

The Sect can never reach higher circles than Level 4. Dont focus yourself of becoming a sect-mage. You can use their spells with the other guilds. If you choose the sect, become a decent fighter instead.

2 Grade Spoiler:
You can only learn up to level 4 from the fire mages.
If you joined the Old Camp you can later on in the game exchange your camp from old camp to new camp. This lets you learn the fifth circle since you join the Water Mages (they are the only ones that teach the fifth circle).

If you join the Sect Camp you are stuck with the sect, and can only learn up to Level 4 since you cannot teach yourself the fifth circle from the water mages.

3 Grade spoiler:
The Sixth circle are learned somewhere else, found much further in the game... Remember to save at least 40 skillpoints so you can buy that circle as soon as you can.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:52 am