Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Blade of Darkness (PC, Single- & Multi-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
vertic

Severance is a pretty kickass game.... i still play it.. The war sequences roxxor.
Post Sat Feb 09, 2002 1:32 pm

Crawdaddy79

This game kicks major arse and there is no reason you shouldn't buy it RIGHT NOW!!! <br> <br>Unless you have an other than 3DFX card and Windows 98, as it doesn't start up in that config commonly.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:17 am

klawz
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My favourite game of all times. I still play it, even though I've finished it 4 times already. Great game!
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:10 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I really liked this game

I bought it for $7.99 US, and was really suprised how much I liked it. I usually like true CRPG's, but this is more an action game with heavy CRPG elements. The emphasis is on fighting, which can be difficult at times, but not impossible. The setting is definitely hack and slash fantasy. Highly recommended.

Note: Run in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode if running Windows XP.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:50 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Re: I really liked this game

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
... this is more an action game with heavy CRPG elements.

It is an action game first and foremost, with very little if not non-existent of RPG elements. For example:

- Character development limited to getting new combat moves and weapons (no character stats, no alignment, no decision making, no physical customizations).

- Extremely limited questing structure - no side-quests except the main quest.

- No NPCs, except truckload of enemies throwing themselve at you.

- No in-game dialogues, except some taunts from enemies and yelping when get killed. Story telling was done by background narrator during cutscene.

- Story? any First Person Shooter also can provides such a thin plot as in BoD.

I rather call it an action game or maybe action adventure, and a game that did remarkably well in term of combat system. It uses medieval fantasy setting, but that doesn't mean the game is CRPGs.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:53 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I didn't say it was a CRPG

But I guess I see your point, I change my description from an 'action game with heavy CRPG elements' to a 'fantasy action game with CRPG elements'

It does have experience, and levels, exploring, and there is some decision making regarding which weapons you decide to carry as each weapon only can perform certain moves, and you only have so many slots for items.

But that doesn't change my opinion of the game, I think it is recommendable to fans of CRPG just because of the fantasy environment and by the fact it's fun to play.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:49 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Recommendable to the fans of CRPG?

That depend on which group of CRPG fans. Hardcore RPGs player would probably balked at such recommendation . It's not unusual here at this board if i say "Dungeon Siege rocks!", people would start throwing real rocks at me!.

Since i also played many action games, BoD (Diablo series too) are pretty fun for me, although somehow i dislike Dungeon Siege.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:32 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Well, this action adventure game with some rpg elements, was very good game to play, fighting system was pretty good, actually so good that both Morrowind and Gothic should have used something like that. Still playing this sometimes, too bad that sequel for this were never released.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:07 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Played for 4 minutes trowed away 2 seconds later further no comments
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:01 am
Vang

Re: I really liked this game

I can't play the game in my laptop under Windows XPhome.

Any suggestions?
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:04 pm

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

BOD had pretty high system requirements for its day. It ran smoothly on my ATI 9800 Pro 128MG but had issues with the card prior to that. A laptop might be a serious challenge if you have one of those lightweight mobility cards. My laptop has one (7000 series NVidia mobility?) and struggles with Morrowind badly and NWN badly in some areas of the game.

As far as liking BOD, you really need to give it a few hours before you get comfortable with the combat systems and your character levels up a few times. Its like Gothic at the start - sluggish and difficult, very easy to die. If you played it for 4 minutes and tossed it - that's pretty silly. You definately missed out. I played about half way through - a few maps after beating (but not killing) that red demon. I can't recall who it was but it was a heck of a fight. BOD is a classic and it still looks great today!!!
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:28 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Simply one of the best games ever. Though i may be a bit biassed person to say this
Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:50 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Yes, Blade of Darkness was an awesome game, though I wished it had more rpg elements. I was always hoping for a Blade of Darkness 2 with detailed character creation, stats, etc. Its a shame how some of the coolest games never get sequels(or get canned before development is even finished).
Anyone ever remember that cool game that was in development called Into the Shadows(back in the days of dos)? All that I ever saw of it was a non-interactive demo video that was released that looked really cool.
I wish that more rpg games would have the mature rating, the ability to sever limbs and heads in combat(if you're playing a strong warrior swinging around heavy bladed weapons, limbs should go flying from time to time shouldn't they?)or have your own limbs or head severed. Would be even more cool if a mmorpg took this approach to combat, with chances for limbs flying during combat.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:52 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by DarkWeaver
Played for 4 minutes trowed away 2 seconds later further no comments

That is about as useful as 'didn't like the box art so the game is teh sux0r'

Seriously, Blade of Darkness is one of those games that many RPG fans will like - for those who like the battle system in Gothic and Jedi Knight II and things like that. But don't expect a full RPG experience. I played Rune just before (both in late 2004 while waiting for Dungeon Lords), and while that game felt like a journey going nowhere, BoD was much more purposeful.

Pretty good, even today.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:08 pm
theverybigslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Very good game. I played it last summer. It was only 5$
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:26 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next