Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Tips on Followers (Shrat, Dusty, Mud, Lester, etc.)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Tips on Followers (Shrat, Dusty, Mud, Lester, etc.)

I've completed the game as Sect Camper, Old Camper and New Camper. Now I'm looking at bizzare things to do. Here I'll talk about collecting as big a group of followers as possible.

1. Dusty - As mentioned elsewhere, Dusty is immortal and will follow you anywhere once you get him out of the Old Camp. Using Marvin-mode possession, you can equip him with better weapons. He has ST 20, DX 10 so I give him 2 ST+5 rings (to get him to ST 30) and a Rusty 2H Sword. You can give him a Short Bow and arrows -- if you want him to waste arrows. I also set his Level (using Console Edit Abilities) to 999, so he doesn't run from things.

2. Shral - Dies easily and is difficult to get out of the swamp alive (unless you can kill the swampsharks first). I just use Marvin Console to make him immortal, too (Flags = 2). He only has ST 10, DX 10 so I give him 2 DX+5 rings (so DX 20) and give him a Long Bow and arrows, plus a Mace. I also set his Level to 999 so he doesn't run.

3. Mud - Similar to Dusty, set his Level to 999 and make him immortal (Flags = 2). Personally, I can't stand to have him around, but others think he's cool, so do as you please.

4. Lester - When you start the quest for the Focus Stones, Lester is waiting for you on the other side of the bridge. I usually have the Stone from the Fort by this point, so I really don't need to go there again. Lester is also immortal and will follow you -- but won't follow you over the bridge. To get around this (better save first!), use Fist of Wind (rune, scroll or heart of golem) to knock him off the cliff and into the river! Now immediately jump off the cliff after him! With patience you both can get out of the river where it bends near the path to Sect Camp. Now Lester will follow you anywhere! Again, set his Level to 999 so he'll be brave.

5. Gorn - In the quest for the Stones, he's waiting on the path to the Old Monastary. Again, I usually have this Stone already, so I don't need to go again. Gorn will act a little strange and recognize that you have used the Transform to Meatbug scroll already, but still wants to follow you into canyon below. Just head on down there to the cave underneath, until Gorn says for you to lead the rest of the way. Head back out but now go across the bridge and Gorn will follow you wherever you wish to go. Gorn is immortal, too.

Special Note: - When getting the Stone from the Troll canyon, I usually have already killed the troll once, using the Shrink scroll. When you meet Diego to get the Stone, there's a new troll, but you don't have another scroll. You can kill it with Firestorm and Fireball spells, but it take a lonnng time. If you have Gorn with you, his ST and 2H Axe are actually able to kill the troll directly, without magic! Diego never follows you, too bad.

You now have Shral, Dusty, Lester and Gorn (and maybe Mud) following you! With better weapons, immortality and made brave, you now have an unstoppable posse at your back! Also, you get the experience points for anything they kill! Unfortunately most view Orcs as NPCs, not monsters, and won't automatically attack them unless the Orcs attack the follower personally.

6. Milton - I haven't tried this yet, but you may get Milton to follow you too. When you go down into the crypt under the stone circle to get that Focus Stone, Milton will follow until you give him the Orc Talisman (make sure you don't have it on you or he will take it and stop following), but he will not leave the general area too far along the paths. Since Milton is also immortal at this point, you may be able to knock him off the cliff behind the stone circle (down to the fisherman's lake) with Fist of Wind. If you use the falling trick (hold down strafe right or left), follow him down the cliff and try leading him elsewhere. It would be great to have a (or another) mage in the group!

Special Note: - I have used the Fist of Wind trick to knock the Guardian of the stone circle off the cliff and this actually destroys him! You can loot his body for the key and Orc Talisman and now get this Focus Stone without using up Milton's Kill Undead scroll.

Well, that's enough for now! Let me know what you think.

imposterAZ

Last edited by imposteraz on Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:23 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Are you sure about Dusty being immortal or do do you mean someone else?
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:51 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I believe it's Dusty. He's immortal until you deliver him to the Baal in the Sect Camp as a new sect member (completing the mission relating to Melvin).
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:58 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Another tip about Followers:

You can get your followers to move at high speed. Give a speed potion to each, possess each in turn and have each drink. Finally drink your own potion and start running. Your followers will move with you at high speed!

Obviously, the more followers you have the more unwieldy this becomes. It also becomes expensive quickly (for all those potions) and, with all the shuffling around, you have much less actual travel time at high speed for each dose of potion.

For one or two followers, though, this can help a lot -- especially since you can't use Teleports, and still hang on to your followers.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:23 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes imposteraz, you have some ace tricks there, the run fast trick can also be "applied" - - -applyoverlaymds HUMANS_SPRINT (to any human) also did you know you can make all your buddies fly - - - applyoverlaymds HUMANS_SKELETON_FLY all wonderfull stuff. makes playing gothic over again a pleasure. please keep us posted on any more top hints.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:52 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Nice tricks. I'll try them. Remember to try the Milten thing.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:46 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Interesting.
Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:56 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Wulf,

Thanks for the info on applying high speed and flying. I'll give them a try.

MageofFire,

I'll let everyone know about the Milten trick (to get him to follow) as soon as I get to that point in the game again.

Thanks, all, for the nice feedback.

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:55 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes imposteraz, the fire-mage Milten would be a good buddy to have, i am working on Shrat at the present, i have seen him use scrolls (providing you take away(off him) all his weapons. The apply overlays mentioned previously can be cumulative, e.g make them fly, make them fast, and even add a KINGKONG in stats screen, would give you, a fast flying tiny Shrat. good fun.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:18 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Have you tried giving Shrat runes such as Breath of Death?

Here, I have an idea: bring Shrat into a crowded place, say, the outer ring of the Old Camp. Arm him with a Storm of Fire rune. Insert a scavenger. Watch him kill it with Storm of Fire, but as you should know, Storm of Fire has a "spread" if you will. It should fry some diggers, Shadows, and if you're lucky, some Guards. See how long he lasts. Have fun!

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:23 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I must definately try these tricks with several rune types, I know that some Gothic gamers have their own favorite scenes of chaotic humour! - - - have you tried inserting ZOMBIETHEKEEPER near gomez? or can you get away from inserting GUR_1212_MADCORKALOM? - - -i believe there are many.

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:38 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I'll try your suggestions.

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:39 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Reporting back:

I tried to get Milten to follow me away from the Ring of Stone, but to no avail. Apparently his trigger that he is not where he should be is based on distance fron the Ring of Stone itself and not on a specific place on a path. I even tried importing him on top of an inserted Shrat a looong ways away fron the Ring of Stone and he still left (saying that I had apparently lost interest ... blah, blah, blah.).

What I will try is importing Milten while in the Orc Temple and see if he sticks around then.

Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:44 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Other than my disappointment about Milten, I've had good success getting the rest of the gang together. At one point I was running around with Shrat, Dusty, Lester and Gorn.

Special Note: I have found the limit to using Dusty as a follower -- Once you deliver the last Focus Stone to Saturas, and then take the mission to try to convince the Fire Mages to help blow up the ore, this triggers the shake up at the Old Camp. The Fire Mages die, the Old Camp closes and all Old Campers become persona non grata to other campers. I fond this out when I had Dusty, Shrat, and Lester with me while I talked to Saturas. During the middle of my discussion, suddenly everyone drew weapons and started attacking Dusty (nominally an Old Camper until you deliver him to the Baal in the Sect Camp)!

I backed up to a save just before I delivered the last Stone to Saturas and just imported Gorn over top of Dusty and thing went just fine from there.

Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:53 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Wulf,

I really get good use out of your suggestion to export followers while outside a separately-mapped area (like the Orc Cemetery). and then imposrt your followers once inside.

I find it easiest to just make sure I have a good export of each follower, while they are in a "following mood". Then I just insert a Shrats (NOV_1356_Shrat) and import each follower over top a Shrat. Then they follow along just fine.

The only thing to consider is that you have to do this again when you leave this mapped area, too. But this will now create multiples of your followers in the world (the ones you leave in the mapped areas are not a problem). To keep this from having any game-story problems for those with roles to perform later, just make sure to make them mortal (Flages=4) and "kill" them before letting them go. This will leave only one of each important follower in the game.

Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next