Usergroups
What are you listening to right now?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

Arovane - Tokyo Ghost Stories ethereal choir, lazy beat, nostalgic piano, downtempo ambient
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:11 pm
Drake14
Brigadier General

Mushroomhead - Solitair Unraveling
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:46 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Rob Zombie - Dragula!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:48 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth

Ok, I finally had to try it, Ive worn out all the other elves n dwarves, wizards and warriors stuff. It's been reccomended, Ive heard it before, I thought it sounded a little too 80s for me. At first I hated it, I admit it.

Tho it is fantasy themed and moreover, LOTR themed, it has that sing-song and the whole-band-singing-along thing going on at times, that just screams 80's hair metal to me. I grew up in the 80s, I know hair metal when I hear it.
But then the little sylvan says "hey man, lighten up will ya? It aint like theyre singing about fast cars or makin out or something".

Yes, I suppose I should. It is pretty damn heavy, after all, now that I give it a really good listen, some nice double-bass drum rolls, and hair metal doesnt have that intricate guitar-work. And the lyrics really are very well written...

"Come on, you like Battlelore man." snickers the elf, "and look there, I saw your paw tapping!" Yes indeed, I cant resist good fantasy metal, this is pretty good, after all
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:59 am
horst wessel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Les Joyaux de la Princesse - Terrorisme Islamique
Beautiful piece- but I wouldn't expect less from LJDLP. I wish their records weren't so damn hard to find!
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:44 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Still looking forward to getting a cd from these guys. I've got the debut coming, but my current weakness is from the new release. Nice poppy stuff, a little more pop than my usual fare.

"Valentine" by The Delays
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:42 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Bal Sagoth - Six Score and Ten Oblations to a Malefic Avatar

Great new Bal Sagoth off their Cthonic Chronicles, this band never disappoints me when it comes to absolutely bombastic symphonic metal, delivered in various narrative voices and at times, a black metal shriek. All about armies and epic beings clashing, the destroyers of worlds, lost civilizations, and a nice dose of Cthulhu and Warhammer lore. You just cannot go wrong with this band, if baroque symphonic metal is what your looking for.

Oh yeah, I forgot I was supposed to try out MBV, I better go see if I can get a listen somewhere.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:53 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Evoken - Quietus

@DT- I tried out both MBV and the Jesus and Mary Chain, and while interesting and not really bad at all, I dont think it's anything I want to spend money or time on right now. Not with all the diff cds I'm really into atm (new bal sagoth, blind guardian, evoken,battlelore), but I definitely got a perspective on what that genre of music is all about.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:58 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

Catscan - Secret Valley

Typical song for Hardcore lovers. Not meant for the ears of people who are into classic/R&B/soul or whatever kind you like. It starts out with several kinds of drums (on different objects) which isn't really Harcore-style. But around 1:30, the computer tune starts, and about 15 seconds later the bass starts "pumping". And with "Pumping" I mean real pumping. The bass from this song is extreme! And yet it's so perfect.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:08 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

It's only 2 weeks till Tool's 4th full-length album "10,000" days hits stores. They have definitely not sold out yet. You can trip out to the first 4 minutes of the 10 minute epic opener here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTlssmXOaC0&search=Vicarious

The band is on tour. I'm snagging 4 tix this saturday and will see them in a mere 3 weeks! They are one of the trippiest jammin' live acts around.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:38 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Nice! I'm hesitant to listen to a preview tho, I'll just wait til I get the full cd. Have never been disappointed by Tool, I love all their stuff. As far as being live, I really had no idea what a freak Maynard was until I saw some live pics, he's like, painting himself different colors and all that

Does look like fun, Im gonna go see when theyre hittin San Diego

still listening to Evoken, very slow, dreary, doom metal. Supposedly, Evoken is the lowest fathom of doom possible, and after listening to it for roughly a week, I tend to agree with this general conscensus. While yes, it is definitely the gloomiest, slowest, and at times sorta scariest doom metal Ive ever heard, it at times almost takes on the quality of a sort of soundtrack or something. The songs are so slow, the ambience/feedback/echo is so thick, the lyrics are moaned so literally intelligible, that it's very difficult to try and actually give it a serious listen.

That changes somewhat after you hear it multples times, and start to become familiar with it, and Ive actually grown to quite like it. It's very heavy, like some huge boulder slowly rolling along or something, crushing everything in it's path, and they use alot of weird keyboard arrangements that fit the mood perfectly. I find they dont use alot of the typical one high/one low languishing guitar sound that Black Sabbath pioneered, and many doom acts have incorporated as standard. But that's ok, in the end that makes them unique.

The comments on Evoken's "Quietus" cd at Amazon are hilarious, I ended up cracking up reading some of these-

"When regular doom metal is just too upbeat and happy, when the pain of life becomes too much to bear, when suicide needs a soundtrack, there's only one band to turn to: Evoken."

"As for its atmosphere, my first listen to this album conjured up an image that I always associate with Evoken now. Let me see if I can paint you a picture. Broken figures shuffle dejectedly through the vast caverns of hell. The despair of their countless years has weighed so heavily upon them that their features are no longer distinguishable; they are no longer individuals, but shapeless masses, so utterly devoid of all hope that they can do nothing but wander aimlessly in their cold prison. They are consigned to an eternity of enslavement to an infinitely cruel fiend who is never seen, but whose presence dominates nonetheless. Listening to this album is like having your heart crushed in a fist of ice with agonizing slowness."

"This is an experience that must be executed properly. That means you press play and you leave it until the very last note has finished putting the hurt on your soul. Commenting on any one song does not do this CD justice. Each and every slab punishes the senses with equal ferocity.
Evoken delivers the goods with aching slowness. The music moves with the speed of a pack of racing snails...very heavy thousand pound racing snails. Each song builds towards an end that just never arrives. The mood is glum. There is no hope or happiness here. Every sunny thought is methodically extracted from your brain and the gloom grows with each passing moment. Just how much music exists today that can totally and completely engulf you in pure feeling? Not much. The music of Evoken is truly the sound of a world that has left some of us behind. Any self-respecting doom fan and fan of music in general needs this CD."

after that one, Im like S%#t, WHERE CAN i GET MY PAWS ON A COPY OF THAT!
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:17 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

@Val- Didja ever get your Ether Aura?

@Sammy- I went thru all the Amazon clips for Evoken. Interesting instrumentation. I don't think I could swallow those vocals, but the tunes sounded pretty good. I expect that the clips aren't very representative of the songs as a whole since the last track nearly sounds upbeat. I think the ones I preferred were 4 and 7. The high-reverb, chiming guitar work is practically gazer-esque.

For me, I won a contest the other day (!) and got a care package from Submerged Records that included the new release from Hinterland. Good stuff. Their debut was neat but sometimes a little difficult. Their sound is a fair bit unique and occasionally it detracted from the experience. On the new release, they've polished the rough edges while still maintaining the unique sound. Good sheet, dude.

They've got my 2nd and 3rd favorite song up on MySpace. I may have put "Sirens" up here in the past, so we'll go with "Object Lessons" this time.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:21 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Virgin Black - And the kiss of God's mouth...

Getting into this band, just out of nowhere at times operatic and weird symphonic gothic/anthemic power. It's bipolar music, one minute you think the song is this, it turns then into that. The operatics are mostly male, thus it's new for me, but Im really digging it and got the cd on order.

@DT-
Well, made ya look

I used to not be able to take extreme vox. At all. The roaring, monsterrific type vocals just sounded retarded to me, but one day I started liking them and Ive never looked back since.

This is actually the cd that started turning me to harsh vocals, Tristania's "Widow's Weeds".

The vocals basically convey the grief of an otherworldly entity with marginal echo, at key points in the song, a super-distorted voice speaks in tandem (such as in track 3 sample), and the effect is very powerful in my opinion. Especially when the angelic female or full choir vocals go back and forth with them, it's just breathtaking and very powerful IMHO.

Mind you that there is a real difference between sort of the roaring type youll find in power and gothic metal, and the disgusting cannibal corpse ultra-distorted death metal gurgling cookie monster stuff. There's also just "very gruff sounding harsh vocals" that sound like a barbarian or something such as Trail of Tears or Battlelore employs, and otherworldly "dark lord" style vaunted vocals that sound like darth vader that youll find in gothic and symphonic. There's the black metal shriek, and the distorted accompanying "monster voice", bands such as Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth and such that only use the heavily distorted "demonic voice" at certain times, for effect.

But to those who dont listen to and arent open to this style of vocals, it sounds like the difference between a burp, a fart, and a gag. I understand it, I used to be that way myself as I said, but the wise use of it as the other side of an angelic female voice is unbelievable, and also can be very effective in alot of dark music to convey, well, darkness and otherworldly entities, rage, pain, and sorrow.
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:49 pm
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Pain Of Salvation - Beyond The Pale

Progressive, dark, nice guitars! I like it but I don't play it very often.

@Sammy: I tried Virgin Black expecting those horrible growl type vocals but this is ok. Not going to buy the album but I'll probably listen to this mp3 occasionally.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:29 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Trail of Tears - Profoundemonium

Yeah, the Virgin Black is a bit different, from what Ive read there are a few growl but theyre used sparingly. The cd has yet to arrive, so I cant give it a review in any confidence yet.

Theyre pretty freaky, but I actually like modern-silent style of this video. High contrast is a good thing as well, their motif is white/black with lots of contrast, cant go wrong with that. I cant help but kinda snicker sometimes tho when guitarists are totally headbanging and going nuts during a not-too-heavy pretty common riff, clearly just for visual effect more than any sudden emotional outburst on their part. My god, I'm becoming so analytical in my old age.

It's all good tho, everyone's a freak to someone else.

http://media.virginblack.com/Video/VirginBlack-OurWingsAreBurning(High).mov

One thing I notice, is that the vocalist, who curiously seems to favor drawing a solar eclipse or something over his "third eye", actually is quite reminiscent of a young Ozzy Ozzbourne at times vocally and visually, this is pretty stark around the 3 minute mark.

Nice quote by Professor Roqua btw
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:50 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 152, 153, 154  Next