Compare Fable to Gothic2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
DeepCover
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Compare Fable to Gothic2

Has anyone played Fable for XBox? How does it compare to Gothic 2?
Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:06 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

XBox? That's an insult to PC people to play on anything else, especially on those little things!

Nope, I haven't myself. I had PC at home from early years, so frankly never had any wish or need to get some consoles, as they're too limited to my taste. And, thus, also haven't played games on consoles. But perhaps someone has done it and knows or can tell.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:24 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'll tell you as soon as I get Fable for my 'box, and find the time to play.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:36 am
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Excellent post - I'm curious too.

I'm a PC guy too - but we can't knock consoles when it comes to RPGs. Think about the history: Final Fantasy (1-9), Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Lufia, Zelda (all), Adventure, etc. These are some of the best games ever made.

Fable looks great - I'm thinking about buying an Xbox just for that game. If anyone has any comparisons to Gothic - please post!!
Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I'll probably be able to provide some insight. My roomate has an x-box and Fable pre-ordered. Only 5 days away! We're both huge Gothic fans, but I must admit I'm pretty excited about Fable. I have no doubt that it will be a more detailed, better quality game in most aspects, simply because they spent FOUR TIMES AS LONG to make it! Whether it's as compelling and FUN remains to be seen. That will be the ultimate test, not programming or graphics or anything else.

My two cents on the X-box versus PC debate: X-boxes are great because they're comparitively cheap. There are a ton of games to choose from as well. The PC, however, has much more capability, so any type of game an X-box has you could also play on a PC (if they published it for PC of course, unfortunately they don't, so I'm just speaking theoretically). On the other hand, possessing ONLY an X-Box, you are somewhat limited in the type of games you play. E.G. If you like to play games like ROME: TOTAL WAR, you're shafted, because you can't play games like that on the 'box.
Gothic 1 and 2 aren't made for X-box, and they're reason enough to own a PC. But the bottom line is, if you're that much into gaming, have both. Everyone posting on this forum OBVIOUSLY owns a PC, and an X-Box is what...$100 these days? Go out and buy one since you can afford it (after all, you paid about $1000 for your computer, right?) and stop whining about which is better, and rather be happy that you are priveledged enough to have such a choice.

I apologize in advance for deviating from the main topic of this thread. Like I said, in a few days I'll actually have something worthwhile to contribute here.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:09 am
Dafid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I wouldn't say ALL of the zelda games, say all that were mad by nintendo, because allowed another company (i forget who) to make a zelda game, AND IT WAS HORRIBLE.

So they have the internet on computers now.
Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:34 pm
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Which one? The worst one imo was the second one (which was still pretty good) and that was still made by nes. I thought they all were?
Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:51 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I picked up fable yesterday and have had about 3 or 4 hours playtime with it. I just got through the Guild Training which is pretty much learning how to play the game. Here are my oppinions so far:

Good points:
    1. Graphics are quite nice for a console game
    2. Combat is quite enjoyable, very similar to the 3D Zeldas
    3. The feeling of making choices is better implemented that I expected
    4. Character development tree seems quite large (Lots of spells and skills, plus attributes to raise)
    5. Voice acting is of a high caliber
    6. Game doesnt take itself too seriously
    7. The Spells look very cool and seem quite diverse (More than just your typical fireball and lightning spells)

Bad points:
    1. Switching targets when fighting seems to be random, even so much as to lock onto friendly targets which you can accidentaly hit
    2. The game is broken up into quite small areas (at least so far) that have loading screens between them.
    3. On top of the areas being small, there are definate paths of travel across them. e.g. you will see fields, and hills and some streams but you wont be able to get to them. It all depends on where the developers wanted you to go.
    4. The game has jumped from me being a small boy to a teenager to a young man without any progression. I am hoping thats just for the training part of the game and I will actualy start to see the ageing now instead of it changing in steps across chapters
    5. You can unspend experience points (This one might just be a personal complaint, but it doesnt make any sense to me, and just seems to be more dumbing down)

The game has some things in common with Gothic, but generaly they are quite different. Fable is definately a Console game and its world is not seamless like Gothic, and nothing feels like its such a grand scale.

I will post some more info as I play through the game.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:13 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks for the impressions Chekote. I am actually considering getting an XBoX just for Fable, but I'd like to hear what some experiened (PC) RPG players think before making that dive...
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:52 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

You want second oppinions or you just want to know more?

I would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:43 pm
DarthOtzzelot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would wait a little longer before buying a box just for fable.
I haven't played it and I probably never will, but the reviews I've read so far remind me a lot of DeusEx2 in that the reviewers begin with "Fable is a great game... BUT..." and then start a long rant about all its shortcomings and that it's nothing like it was supposed to be.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:37 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I would be VERY wary of reviews that claim Fable is nothing like it was supposed to be.

There are a lot of people out there who hyped the game up for themselves by imagining crazy things that you could to in the world. e.g. One person expected you to be able to slay monsters and then collect their skulls and build yourself a castle out of them...

Its just like any other game. Take it for what it is and dont have rediculously high expectations and you will enjoy it. If you expect the world then you are going to be dissapointed.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:41 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
You want second oppinions or you just want to know more?

I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Oh no Chekote -- I hope you didn't take my response the wrong way. I meant to imply that *you* were exactly the kind of experienced *PC* RPG player that I wanted to hear from.

I think you gave enough info in your impressions to make me wait a bit, though. Although it is probably fun, it does seem to have some hidden "barriers" that doesn't make it as expansive as the Gothics, Morrowinds, BG2, etc..

But as you keep playing and form sharper opinions, please let us know.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:34 pm
DarthOtzzelot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
There are a lot of people out there who hyped the game up for themselves by imagining crazy things that you could to in the world. e.g. One person expected you to be able to slay monsters and then collect their skulls and build yourself a castle out of them...

Players expecting too much is one thing, developers praising features in interviews that are not in the game is another.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:28 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
Oh no Chekote -- I hope you didn't take my response the wrong way.

Not at all.

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
Although it is probably fun, it does seem to have some hidden "barriers" that doesn't make it as expansive as the Gothics, Morrowinds, BG2, etc..

That it does. In regards to the way the world works, its probably closer the BG2. The only real similarities with Gothic is its combat system and that its 3D.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:31 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next