This is so cool...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

This is so cool...

Right so I've been kinna bored since summer started, so I decided to bust out the NWN. Unsurprisingly, I quickly grew bored with the sp game, so I started playing online. I gotta say...now I wish I had started doing this when the game had like first came out and was still popular...it's such an awesome experience.

Like I was just wandering through a city and these 2 clerics or whatever were hassling this one dude and I was just kinda standing nearby, listening to their conversation. Seems he'd accidentally fired some breath of ice, angering NPCs, forcing him to kill them in self defense. But he was a druid, and he was talking all philosophical style. I watched them for a good 10 minutes, totally forgetting about selling my nymph cloak or whatever it was I was going to do. And then they start getting all fired up, and one of the clerics says to me "You there, will you stand with us and drive this savage from the city?" And I'm all "I have no interest in fighting anyone. But were it to come down to that, I would be more likely to aid this being than you; his words are wise." And all of a sudden, like all hell breaks loose, this one dudes casting fireballs, the druid rabbits, and I'm using Knockdown on them all so he can make a gettaway, and they're all like waay higher leveled than me, but I don't care because my cause was just. And then outa nowhere this dwarf comes with his battle axe all like attacking me and there's like chaos and chaos... And I'm like arguing with these people over who was in the right and trying to prevent the shedding of innocent blood....and like.....I was Zakk Wylde, the brooding, rebellious, but deep down peace loving, mercenary, fighting for what he believed in....

It was just...an experience, man. Anyway. My acct is Fist_of_Ares_. If you see me feel free to say hi or not or whatever. I'm usually in the Nordock server Come 2 La La Land.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:35 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yes indeed ... when it works like that NWN is a fantastic experience online.

Unfortunately, in my experience, more often you get no character interaction... just a diablo style hack game. While that's appealing to some people (I like DIablo, I just don't like Diablo-diguised) to me it's not what D&D is about.

But if you've found a server where people actually roleplay and have fun then by all means... have a blast. It is pretty damned cool.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:43 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yeah, I've had quite a few of those great roleplaying experiences with NWN online. One of the best was where my companions and I were holding a gate of a fort against a never-ending besieging army of orcs. We were throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them. I started spouting lines from Henry V. But it was clear we were going to be overwhelmed, so I told everyone to retreat while I tried to hold the orcs back. We had to do a running retreat and try to protect the group's mage who ran out of spells. It was almost epic. That session totally rocked.
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:03 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

And Kayla kept running back for more... We'd have to ask Dhruin for confirmation, but I'm guessing Kayla was loudly questioning the orcs' parentage and sexual preferences right to her monitor. Good times.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:06 am