Graphics Card?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Graphics Card?

While playing KoToR my monitor crapped out. I was have problems with it previously. The screen would flicker and then loose connection. Or the screen was constantly resizing.

I got a new monitor, and during load-up it will resize itself numorous times, but when the welcome screen comes on it is fixed and stays fixed. (though when i run a new game the logo's will always be warped around the screen, but it will fix by the time I get to the menu screen.

In kotor the graphics would mess up alot. A beam would come off of my avatars arm and extend towards the sky. Same would happen to other objects.

Now with the spellforce demo it happens even more often. The graphics goes nuts and the beams are shouting out of everything.

I have a gforce ti 4200 8xagp (though my mobo supports 4x only) w/128 ddr ram
My mobo is an intel 850emv2 w/512 pc800 rdram
p4 1.8 w/400 fsb
sb audigy
all drivers updated

I bought my gfx card online for a great deal (like $110 about a year ago). It is still less than a year old.

I have to run most games w/ most options turned down for them to be playable, but others I can max out and run fine. Kotor was bad, spellforce demo really bad, and even shogun:total war is bad. All those had all gfx options at minimum.

But I can run toee, the war of the ring demo, and even dues x2 with all the graphics options maxed with no problem.

Is it my graphics card or any ideas on what the problem could be?
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:46 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Since you've more or less eliminated the monitor, I guess it's likely to be the video card. I assume you're using the latest Forceware drivers? We've seen a rise in faulty returns of late from a variety of issues like a batch of bad capacitors on the market and heatsinks poorly attached/designed. The easiest way to tell will be to borrow a card from a friend and see what it does.

Despite not supporting the latest DX9 shaders, the Ti 4200 is quite a reasonable card and I'm surprised you're gettign such variable performance which might be another pointer to a dodgy card (although they're unusual symptoms in my experience).

Didn't help much, did I?
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:04 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

When my computer first starts up it shows the gfx card info on the top left and it says "engineering release-not for production use." Does that mean anything?

I do have all the latest drivers also.

I just installed the Chrome sp demo after work and that has really good graphics and it runs smoothly on my computer. Do you think it might have something to do with opengl or direct3d; the games I have problems with use one, the ones I don't use another? I don't know much about either, but it would be really nice for my pocket if a patch could fix the problem and not a new gfx card. Thanks for your help Dhruin.
Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:53 am
Dhruin

That's interesting...you've either got a beta/pre-production card or at least the BIOS is - and that may well be the cause of the problem. Do you know the actual card manufacturer (not the chipset)?
Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:51 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Here's a thread I found via Google:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9004&goto=nextnewest

This is about a Jaton 3DForce FX-5600, but the principle is the same. But don't take it as fact, consider it as one possible solution.
Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:48 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks for the info guys.

Asmart is the manufacturers of my card. But thats just the box. It came with a generic manual though. I just downloaded the gforce tweak utility and set all options to fast (instead of quality), even though the games I have problems with I set all options to minimum anyways.

I think the guy in that link got a lucky card and i got a bum deal. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

The monitor was my christmas present, so i might have to barter for a gfx card for an early birthday present with the wife.

Thanks again for the help.
Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:09 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, technically that card should never have reached a consumer such as yourself, so I think you've got a good case for taking it back and demanding a new one.

Is that a possibility?
Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:35 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I doubt it. I bought it on-line and I have no idea where I got it. I also got it while I was living in a different city.

I have to start saving reciepts. I can't afford everything breaking down at the same time.

Thanks for the help though.
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:23 am