Why no recognition?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Why no recognition?

I can't understand why distrubitors get all the praise while the actuall people who created the game get left in the dark. Practically every site I goto it's jowood this and infogrames that, but nothing about Pirhana. Can anyone explain this to me? Same goes with movies and tv shows. Directors and actors get all the credit while the people who write the screenplays are hardly ever mentioned. Just two weeks ago I told a friend that Gothic 2 was coming out and his reply was, "eww thats made from jowood, there games suck." He had no idea that pirhana had anything to do with it. Why isn't credit given to those who actually deserve it?
Post Wed May 07, 2003 6:47 pm
maximAL
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

is it really this way? at least in the german community, gothic is by far more identified with PB than with jowood...
Post Wed May 07, 2003 9:46 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Youīre talking about publishers, not distributors. A distributor moves boxes. This logistic service is replacable if another distributor has a better offer.
The publisher - developer relationship depends on some factors:
-Who owns the franchise? If it belongs to the publisher the developer is replacable and therefor not really important.
-Who funds the project? Money is power.
-Is the developer independent or a daughter of the publisher? Westwood, Origin, Maxis were all bought buy EA. Nowadays they are only brands. EA decides who developes where what and whose label is on it.
-Is the project 'new' or a port to a different platform? Itīs common to contract specialized studios to port an already released game to consoles. These companies stay more or less anonymous. For example Iīm pretty sure you cannot name the Austrian company which made the Max Payne XBox version. They were bought by Take2(?) and are now called Rockstar Vienna.
Contract work is not a bad thing. Deliver professional quality and stay on schedule and you have good chances to stay in business.

Publishers naturally have the 'bigger' brand because they release many games per year. Even bigger developers seldomly release more than one game per year. The publisher will hardly forget to mentioned his name on all those press releases.

Another question is if the developer wants to be famous. I donīt want to know how much time a Warren Spector has to spend to answer requests for interviews and god knows what else.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 9:48 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

I can only think of a few examples where the developer is more well known than the publisher: Maxis, id, (maybe) Epic...
Post Wed May 07, 2003 10:18 pm
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

It is truly a shame that the world works that way sometimes. But credit goes where credit is due; I always check the game designers and directors before the publishers (escpecially if the game is already out). With Gothic 2, though, we've all been watching the publisher's and shippers really really closely (we've been taunting their incompotency as well).
Post Wed May 07, 2003 10:53 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

I dont think the team at PB would care if they got the credit or not..it seems they are just interested in there games doing well..and it seems they enjoy the fact that people love there games..they love there jobs, unlike most people!!!
hey, its nice to hear people care about the PB team
Post Sat May 10, 2003 4:55 pm