View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Diablo 2 patch "buzz"..??

Hi guys,

I have obviously missed something here, regarding the Diablo 2 patch v1.10.

I played Diablo 2 + LoD a lot about 2 years ago, but it has been shelved since then.

Can someone explain what the excitement is about this new patch please??

I never played online with Diablo 2.....but 2 years ago I never played online at all.

This sounds like more than the run of the mill patch to me...

Regards,

Hex
Post Thu May 22, 2003 7:50 am
Kashya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi Hex,
If you read my post 'Diablo2 patch, horrible, evil and hateful' you'll realise that I'm not a big fan of this new patch.
Well, I've calmed down a bit now (deep breaths, deep breaths) so I'll try to fill you in on it.
The new patch has been in developement for ages. But I think it's a cheap and nasty thing. Instead of developing a new Diablo game (as they should!) the developer's have decided to create a new patch for the existing game instead. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is my motto.
The only reason I can see for the new patch, is that the developer's are all upset, because the wicked player's aren't playing Diablo the way THEY intended.
These evil player's have decided that cow runs and magic finding is a lot of fun. And, God forbid! high level character's have been helping out newbies by 'power leveling' them. What Absolute Sicko's!
Well not anymore! The developer's are gonna fix these twisted souls by nerfing 'Magic find'. The new patch is going to decrease the number of item drops, and the number of magic and unique drops of ALL monsters.
Monsters like Pindleskin and Mephisto that are easy to get to and 'farm' for items, are going to be significantly altered, so that they are harder to get to and they won't drop as much (developer's rub their hands in glee 'That'll fix em!').
You can also forget about helping that little newbie out (most of whom are just kids). Experience in the game is also going to be changed and nerfed.
I really don't know why the developer's have done this. I don't think there is anything wrong with the game the way it is. Surely game playing and the way player's choose to play is up to the player.
If some people don't want to do endless cow runs or whatever, then don't do them! But I don't see why the rest of us have to be punished for the 'Purists' who don't like to play this way.
Anyway, if you want more info, check out Diabloii.net.

Cheers
Post Thu May 22, 2003 3:22 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well...

PvP in Diablo 2 has, in some aspects, been horrible. Amazons are still overpowered and necros suck. At least this is what I've heard, since I don't play the game... except for like once a month.

But, I think Diablo 2 was a bit too "easy" and that's why they've nerfed drops and exp. With a good mf sorceress you can get ALL you want in like a week or two. Too much powerful stuff floating around.
Post Thu May 22, 2003 4:24 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Thanks Kashya, very informative.

As I mentioned, I havent played it for a couple of years, but this little dialogue has me thinking...hmmmm....must go to the cave under the stairs and resurrect it....

Sorry to be a complete nunce about this.....but what are Cow Runs...sounds wicked...??

Also thanks Hexy...(hey, nearly the same handle)..

Many regards,

Hexmaster
Post Thu May 22, 2003 4:37 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Hexmaster
Thanks Kashya, very informative.

As I mentioned, I havent played it for a couple of years, but this little dialogue has me thinking...hmmmm....must go to the cave under the stairs and resurrect it....

Sorry to be a complete nunce about this.....but what are Cow Runs...sounds wicked...??

Also thanks Hexy...(hey, nearly the same handle)..

Many regards,

Hexmaster

Handle?! Oh... of course! How quaint...

As for cow runs. There is a secret cow level in Diablo 2 which you can get to by using Wirt's wooden leg. It's a large outdoor area with an army of cows under the 'Cow King'. By doing a cow run (killing the cows, which BTW give pretty much exp and come in droves) you gain an extreme amount of exp, items etc.

But I don't think you're allowed to kill the king (makes you unable to do it again).
Post Thu May 22, 2003 4:52 pm