Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Star Wars: Galaxies - An Empire Divided (PC, MMORPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Darth Uber

Hope

If it lives up to even half of the expectations that is required of a game of this magnitude then I will be a subscrider for life.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:22 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I will be playing this for the next 5 years.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:48 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

oh yea, same here.
From the description of the games feature's its looking like hotness
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:42 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

I spoke recently with one of the beta testers. According to him, there's still a TON of bugs to be squashed, but it seems to be coming together nicely. Evidently, there's a very strict set of rules about naming your character. i.e. no Luke Skywalkers or Chewbaccas, nor anything sexual/obscene. Hopefully, this will cut down on the number of juvenile punk types.

I am looking VERY forward to this game. Does anyone know the latest realease date? I heard it got pushed back from April to mid June. Can anyone confirm/refute this?
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:13 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Yup. Of course there are bugs. The SWG project is gigantic -- there HAVE to be bugs with millions of lines of code. But many of them will likely be solved before release. I'm not worried at all.

EBgames.com sent me an email saying that the PROJECTED release date is June 15th. That is very encouraging to me since it isnt that far into the future anymore. But nobody really knows FOR SURE because the revised OFFICIAL release date hasnt been announced, but will be announced soon since they said they would tell us sometime after Beta 3 starts, and Beta 3 started a few days ago.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:15 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I have ordered the special edition from EBGames as well. They sent out an e-mail with a new release date after the official announcement of the delay.
The original release date was April 15. Their next e-mail said May 15 and now they sent out another mail (the one Ammon777 received, too) saying June 15. Sounds kind of generic, doesn't it?

Personally, I don't believe we will see the game before late August or September.
If I were Sony and if I were able to financially afford a further delay, I'd release this potential blockbuster in fall when gamers are getting back to their "business". A summer release appears quite unlikely to me.
From a commercial point of view, I'd make sure to release the game in fall and to get the space expansion done for the X-mas season.

Commercial reasons aside... let's face it. Beta 3 has just started. It's the first time that this game is really being tested for "massiveness" (at 50,000+ players). Beta 3 may actually take a while. Look at how long the launch of beta 3 was delayed.
Sony/Lucas will be receiving an enormous amount of comments, suggestions and bug reports over the next few weeks. Luckily, they really seem to be dedicated to a solid, stable release.

That's basically why I don't believe they will release SWG in the next couple of months. I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong though .
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:29 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Good points, Moriendor, though I think that most gamers have a high amount of playing time in the summer months. As a large percentage of PC gamers (or any gamers, for that matter) are teenagers, that makes sense. Summer = no school = time for gaming.

I think midsummer would be an ideal time to release a blockbuster like SWG. You pick up many of the teenagers, and yet you are late enough in the year to still be all the buzz come Christmastime.

I don't preorder games like this for one reason: bugs. I think it will take a couple months after the release for all the bugs to be squashed/initial patching to occur. Games like WWII online and other MMORPG's (whose names escape me) have proven this point to me. Buggy and nearly unplayable out of the box, the games get better after the communities are established and the programmers get a chance to improve their code.

Well, I will eagerly await the SWG release, anyway. Will there be seperate forums for the game here, a la Gothic, Morrowind, etc?? I think SWG would qualify as an RPG, so I see no reason why rpgdot shouldn't create a forum for it!!
Post Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:44 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I have to disagree slightly. If you are talking about Anarchy Online and World War 2 Online releases, yes i agree that those two were disasters, and that they were only playable after a whole freaking year had gone by. However, you cant judge the rest in light of those two unless you have witnessed them, because there have been many MMORPGs that were perfectly playable on the first day of release, such as Asherons Call (the original) which was flawless, and Dark Age of Camelot which was very playable, and the sequel to Asherons Call (AC2) was very playable, and the release of Earth and Beyond wasnt all that bad, and finally the release of some others which were acceptable... We dont know when SWG will release; however, i believe its release will be more than acceptable because of the reputable quality of LucasArts and the development team making SWG, which i have surmised by playing most of LucasArts games (which imo are excellent) and also witnessing the following along with the developer posts which are very straightforward, pretty much honest, and highly professional. I have tons of faith in them. Anyway, its true that they fix many bugs after release but that happens with all PC game programs (i.e. patches); but it is especially true with MMORPGs, since they are an ongoing development.

As for my opinion on the release date, i am fairly confident that it'll be June or thereabouts. Just a gut feeling i have, which are surprisingly accurate if i must say so, hehe.

Despite all this conjecture, i believe that i will be playing SWG no matter the release date or whether they have SCS (single character per server) or MCS (multi characters per server), unlike a lot of other people, that doesnt make much difference to me -- according to my personal research, the game is most excellent and will live up to my high standards... I just bought a top-of-the-line computer system (3.08 GhZ; 1500mb ram; radeon 9700 pro; ect) and believe that i will still not be able to max out the settings even for SWG...

anyway, i am going to go play games now, cyu.
Post Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:35 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

It will be interesting to see how this game will deliver in the long run. Is it going to keep it interest or fall down to be another boring treadmill of a kind or a UO style meaningless uberloot harvester. (which UO is nowadays)
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:36 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

I don't see this game running out of steam anytime soon. If you head over to the official website, www.starwarsgalaxies.com , there's thousands of registered members. The beta selection team picked applicants randomly out of over 300,000 potential ppl...To me, that speaks volumes about a games popularity even before it's release.

Going to be hard to get used to a monthly fee for a game..but if it lives up to half it's hype, I'll do it.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:57 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Those numbers tell nothing of how good the game is, instead they say that star wars is a popular brand, SOE is a "famous" (or should i say infamous) maker of mmorpgs and that SWG has good graphics. As for treadmills, the realtime item decay might allready become as one. Everyone has to keep replacing their stuff at the rate it decays. From houseplants and other furniture to laserguns.
Post Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:18 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I am playing SWG because of its design, it is very innovative and feature-laden, and the fact that the graphics are good backs up the good design.
Post Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:03 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

I will play it because
1) I am a huge fan of The Star Wars Universe
2) I think LucasArts has made great games in the past, and will continue to
3) Innovativeness...no other Online RPG comes close to the depth SWG will have
4) Sheer number of users...bound to find some good groups to play in
5) Support - The devs have been active in the SWG forums, and continue to be active in the Beta(s).

All said, I really think this game will be a multiplayer Morrowind set in a star wars environment...only difference will be more depth. Player run cities, bounty hunters, nightclubs, shops, farms...all real players..

And who knows, you may run into Darth Vader, Jabba the Hut, or Boba Fett... they're including them all as NPC's!!
Post Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:14 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

hear hear !!! well said

in my opinion, SWG looks to me to be the best game since Morrowind
Post Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:59 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Someone stop me

I played ac1 for 3 years, it was like crack to me. Then I got bored.
So I went to ac2, that lasted all of 4 months, then I finished Gothic a few more times (bored).
Now Im in Eve and PlanetSide betas and I play Earth and Beyond a lil bit...
None of these games ( exept Gothic) can keep my attention like AC1 did...so much to do, see and accomplish.
Eve has great graphics but is either boring (mine all day) or the learning curve must be high as hell, cause I cant figure out WHAT Im supposed to be doing there.
PlanetSide is lots of fun, but its still in beta so all your work is wiped every week or so and the server are still buggy (multiple crashes an hour) so its like playing your first 15 min logged in for 4 hrs and I get tired of getting all my equipment and key mappings right only to do it 15 min later.
Now the dilemma...

All the good stuff (SWG, KotOR, WoW, CoH, G2, Horizons, D&L) is at least a good 4-5 months away...thats a lot of free time on my hands. And except for Gothic series, I cant see myself buying another SP RPG game: I finish them too fast and they are too linear to keep my attention through another entire session.
But I dont want to get into ac1 with SWG so (relatively) close...
Discuss.
Post Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:37 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next