Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The Punisher
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Will it be good?
Yes, definitely. Guns just can't go wrong.
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
It'll be okay.
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
It's gonna suck just as hard as Daredevil and The Hulk.
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

The Punisher

I think I'll see this movie just because I like movies with a badass who has lots of guns (I love the Terminatory movies), but the story and script probably suck. What do you think?

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:02 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Since it's a Lion's Gate film I'm going to have to imagine it will suck. I want to believe that Lion's Gate can give a decent movie, at least ONE! But, sadly, EVERY SINGLE Lion's Gate movie I have seen, which is more than I care to admit, has been dreadful.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:10 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I think Punisher will probably be okay. It's gotta be better than the Dolph Lungren movie. I doubt it will be great though.

Have not seen the Hulk. I am interested in seeing it because Ang Lee(Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) did it.

Everyone says the Daredevil sucks. I was dragged to this movie...did not want to see it...but I loved it. It was dark, angry, and grim as hell. It was exactly like the 1993 6 issue mini-series by Frank Miller. Also, kevin smith makes an appearance in this flick. Definitely worth renting.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:39 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If they do the Ennis version of Punisher, then it won't sink.

I haven't seen Hulk either. It's one I'm waiting to see on TV or when the DVD hits the bargin bin.

As for Daredevil, that was definately not Frank Miller's Daredevil. That was Ben Affleck pretending to be a superhero. Blah.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:20 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by kengo2019
. Also, kevin smith makes an appearance in this flick. Definitely worth renting.

But does he make an appearance as Silent Bob?

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:33 am
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...

quote:
Originally posted by Val
If they do the Ennis version of Punisher, then it won't sink.

I'm in total agreement.
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:51 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I personally think it will suck for this one reason alone...the guy(can't remember his name) who's set to play the lead role in this new punisher movie is wrong for the part. I saw a picture of him and he's nowhere near muscular enough to be the Punisher. Dolph Lundgren in the earlier Punisher movie looked more muscular(but still not quite muscular enough to be a good portrayal of the Punisher)than this guy did, and he'd lost alot of muscle since his physical peak in Rocky IV. The Punisher I remember from the 80's as portrayed by Mike Zeck was very muscular and strong. Here are some links:
http://www.thepunisher.com/comics/limited_series/v1_002.jpg
http://www.thepunisher.com/comics/limited_series/v1_003.jpg

It reminds me of the terribly wrong casting of Michael Keaton as Batman. Michael Keaton was more or less a 90 pound weakling cast in the role of a hero who was supposed to very physically strong and big(forget the 60's batman t.v. show, think Batman the animated series for a good portrayal of batman). Michael Keaton wore a suit that had fake musculature built into it that was goofy looking and embarassing. It was a joke.
The sad thing is, I've been hearing over the years that actors in Hollywood with physiques that stand out as being muscular are discriminated against and they can't get work like actors who have a normal amount of muscle. Even fat people get more acting jobs than the muscular people. Sure, there are exceptions like Arnold Schwarzenegger who managed to bust through the discrimination and wouldn't let people keep him down. And Sylvester Stallone too is another exception. I recall reading about how some actors who were already established in Hollywood got interested in bodybuilding or powerlifting and thier agents would get on thier case and tell them to stop building up thier physiques or thier careers would go down the toilet because they'd get discriminated against.
One specific example I remember is what happened to the actor Kevin Sorbo. He had just come off off the Hercules: The Legendary Journey's t.v. series and he was looking for work in a new t.v. show. He tried out for a new t.v. show called Andromeda, to get the lead role, but they told him he had to lose alot of muscle if he wanted the part.
This really upset me. It isn't like he was trying out for the role of a historical figure that was skinny, and there was no possible leeway they could give him, or a previously well established fictional character who was supposed to have a different body type. This was a unestablished fictional character and they could have easily cast him in that lead role and given him a little leeway and let him keep his hard earned muscle he'd built up over the years(he wasn't actually all that muscular compared to the likes of Schwarzenegger, Stallone or Lundgren in thier primes). But no, he was discriminated against like so many others because he had a muscular physique. He's only a shadow of his former self now and I guess he felt it was better to lose all that muscle and strength and take the easy way out than to try to fight the system.
Oh well. Sorry for going off like that. As a muscular person myself, I try to stand up for other muscular people who get mistreated and discriminated against just because of the way they look.
Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:36 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

That's interesting, but if you want to be a mainstream TV or movie actor you have to accept that image and appearance are major concerns (unfortunately, often moreso than acting ability!), so if you feel strongly about the way you want to look, then it's probably not a good idea to seek that kind of career.

As for the original question, I didn't vote as I have no preconceptions, I don't know much about anyone involved in the film, so I'll just wait and see. I used to love the Punisher as a kid, I still have a big stack of old comics somewhere, and I'd like the movie to be good. Fingers crossed, but I won't be surprised if it's a turkey just like the Dolph edition.

And I must say that I thought Hulk was an excellent movie. Kengo, if you are a fan of Ang Lee's work, then I wholeheartedly recommend it - it's not the big, brainless, destructive superhero extravaganza most seemed to expect, but it is of the quality you'd expect from Lee - great characters, some amazing storytelling techniques, action scenes are few but good (and make sense), and while the effects are a bit odd in places, the film is still visually stunning if you have an eye for that kind of thing. If you liked CTHD, you'll probably enjoy Hulk.
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:49 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I definitely enjoyed this movie. I thought it was alot like the Early 90s Black & White magazines. I used to read these and Savage Sword of Conan every month when I was in High School. It was a good b-rated flick!!!

There are some REALLY funny parts in this movie. It's got some great cheesy dialogue just like the old comics. I'd give this movie a 7 for a rating.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:19 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I really liked it. It had guns ... but not as many as I would have thought. They really seemed to focus in on the characters instead of the action. This works for me, for the most part.

And there was a few wonderful explosion scenes (including one that was just too over the top) so all is good in the world.

If action movies were still being made and selling well as a genre I think Punisher would have done better. It was certainly better than the other version (which I also liked). Thomas Jane reminded me of Stallone back in the day. I would say it sucked as bad as Daredevil and the Hulk... both of which I loved and thought did not suck at all. 8/10.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:56 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda

Saw it. It's mediocre at best.
Post Sat May 08, 2004 5:34 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

When compared to movies at large I would tend to agree. My rating system only contrasts between like movies.

In this case, Punisher was better than any Segal movie and most Stallone movies.

Comparing it to other genres, like fantasy or science fiction, would result in the Punisher being gunned down. Can't hold a candle to most Star Wars, any Lord of the Rings, the Crow, Dark City, or a legion of others... but as a straight revenge-driven action movie (I have three or four categories of action movie) it was pretty good.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Mon May 10, 2004 1:17 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda

Looking at it from that perspective, I'll agree. For an action movie, it was alright. But I still think they could have done a better job.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 6:48 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

This is true... but the movies where you say 'they couldn't have done that better' are very rare things to be cherished.

Post Wed May 12, 2004 2:23 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

i agree, they could of done a much better job on it... but it was OK
Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:31 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next