Strange Behavior
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Strange Behavior

I'm replaying Gothic 2 as a mage. Still in Ch 1 increasing fighting skills before I join the Monestary.

********Warning - Descriptive info - might be slight spoiler***********

The main problem I'm having now, is that when I try to do the "Rod's Sword" quest, everyone runs over and beats me up while I'm holding the sword in the animation! I can't finish the quest! Anyone else run into this? I know I didn't have any problems like this when I played through the first time.

I wonder if this is connected to some previous strange behavior that went on? Much earlier in the game, I got the two brother's to fight up at Akil's Farm. OK, no problem. A long time later, I go to the farm to take out the Merc's hasseling Akil, but as soon as I tried to talk to his wife, they all whipped out their weapons and came after me!

They ended up killing off the merc's, with no losses to Akil's crew. I came back a few minutes later and managed to get back within talking distance to Akil and got his thanks for helping with the Merc's (even though I was too busy running from him, his wife and their farm hands to actually help). He also gave me the package for the shopkeeper in Khorinis (sp?). But, as I'm walking away, he and all his people came after me again.

I lured him and a couple of his people after me individually, beat them up and used an Oblivion scroll on them and they seemed to return to normal. At least they don't ALL chase me anymore and I was able to complete the "Bottom's Up" quest, but I don't know what caused the behavior.

Anyway, I got past the problem with Akil OK, now, this problem with the Merc's. It's strange, because I've beaten up several of the Merc's for the Exp and no one turned hostile towards me, but as soon as Rod hands me his sword and the animation shows me holding it, I hear "Put that weapon down!", then they swarm me and beat me to the ground. I managed to give it back to him once, but they still jumped me and started flailing away!

I notice that when I try to talk to Hodges, he doesn't want to have anything to do with me. I get the impression that it's the farmer's more than the Merc's who're out to get me. Maybe I should go back to Akil's farm, lure the two brother's away and use Oblivion on them? What do you think?

It's all very strange. I'm leaving Rod's Sword undone for now, but would appreciate any possible suggestions.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:43 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I´ve heard this before but don´t remember if it could be fixed. Maybe a forum search reveals something.
This bug will follow you through the whole game. Try your other saves. If they´re also infected try to reinstall the game.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:26 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Well, I finally completed the quest with Rod.

*************Again, descriptive content-might be SPOILER*********

I went back to Akil's farm and used Oblivion on the only farmer left who was hostile to me. That let me talk to Akil's wife and run through her speech tree.

Then, I completed the "Drive Away The Militia" quest to get the approval of most of the Merc's. Then I tried Rod again.

I still got the hostile attitude and comments from the onlookers, but I tabbed through the animation and was able to teach Rod some manners before unequiping his sword without getting attacked.

Also, I remembered that the last time I tried it, the animation actually showed me holding a different sword. I assume that it was one I had in inventory that was more powerful than Rod's. So, with that in mind, I dropped my most powerful 2-H weapon before I talked to Rod.

Man, I sure hope this doesn't pop up to haunt me again! I'm not sure which of the steps mentioned above did the trick, (maybe a combination of them?), but it seems to have worked. Hope this helps anyone else having this problem.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:17 am