Pickpocket Broken?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Pickpocket Broken?

I have a thief with a stealth of 100 (even 105 with a mask) and every time I try to remove something from the persons inventory, they are staring right at me and yell guard. The person and the WHOLE town goes hostile and ties to kill me.

As far as I can tell, it is broken. Unless, you must be very fast at clicking offf the item? They are staring right at me. The only one I could pick pocket was the fishing man sitting down by the pond in city of Arx. What am I doing wrong?

PS DId you notice that if intuition skill is over 100, you can actually MAKE infinite money by trading with merchant back and forth making a profit? Better to blow stealth points in that if you want to make money, Pick pocket is not working for me. I tried even when no one can see me do it. Any one else do this? I would like to "steal" the jewelery key off the dealer then rob his store, then maybe go back and sell him back his stuff or to the other traders. The way it is with stealth at 100% I always get caught and then I have to kill him, then the whole town goes hostile to you.

How do you sucessfully Pickpoket or is it broken? I want to play this game through as a thief....if you can not steal...can not kill anyone.. realy limits option for gameplay.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:06 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

a) To start pickpocketing, you have to bump into a NPC (a baggy icon will appear at the left corner). Whenever this happens they seem always stop whatever they were doing and stare at you for a while.

b) Do NOT steal while they stare - it will make them hostile, but let them return to their routine activities (note that that baggy is still on screen).

c) Do NOT stay close to them after the bump as they will continue to stare at you indefinitely, make a few steps away - as long as the baggy is still on the screen, you will be able to thieve.

d) If c) is true, then NPC's attension will switch from you to something else and you can go to actual pickpocketing. I usually follow the NPC for a while keeping the distance (a couple of meters), and position myself behind NPC's back.

e) Click on the baggy NOW! and you can finally see what is in the pocket . Important part is that the CLICK-on-the-bag goes unseen by the NPC, after that it does not matter anymore. You can even read a book directly from his/her pocket while NPC is staring at you and walking around (granted that you follow not to loose the "pickpocketing" connection).

I have 75 in Stealth and was able to pickpocket the king, the alchemist, some NPC in ArX, etc..

Good Luck
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:26 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Xerxes712: are the footsteps of your 100 stealth character silent? And how effective is hiding in the shadows and backstabbing?
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:30 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes I got it to work now, thanks.

Yes, that is what I was doing wrong. I must hang back alittle to let them continue on, then pick pocket when they are not looking. Every thing is working now. It was such a small thing that I could not figure out, but thanks I got it now.

I notice that for some extra points how to kill some of the non plot related NPC such as guards without the whole town going hostile. If you kill them without the AI understanding it was I.

I killed guards from a distance with stealth via a bow and got the experience and kill without the town going hostile by magic. Of course do not let anyone see you.

With magic, incinerate works great. I walk up a bit to them without them seeing me (or anyone else) touch them to activate spell. The spell takes a few seconds to actually kill them while they turn red I run away. They go boom and the town does not go hostile on me.

If there is two guards next to each other, I used spell Confuse. It works great! Cast it on them, they do not consider it hostile, then fire bomb them or the magic incinerate touch and run away so no one sees you. Boom several dead guards and the town does not go hostile.

Basically as long as you kill a NPC with out the AI "understanding" it was you it works. I even used the trap spell - from a distance. For the warrior type, use paralysis? weapon and back stab realhard, they take damage and die, but do not go hostile on you. So for the extra points, if you like to play the bad hero and max exp, it can be done. Be care not to kill a person with a real name untill they played out there plot script or you will be done for.

OT I notice even with stealth at 105 I could not pickpocket some items like the helmet from Miguel the blacksmith. I guess something that big he would notice? I thought they said 'bigger items can be stolen with a stealth of 100' else why bother to really go much past 50? Also do the shop keeps ever go to sleep to rob thier stores? I had to rob them thier keys right at the start of the Arx City level while the jeweler was still in his house. If you try to steal his good behind his back, even if you got his key to open the chest, it will still charge you for the items. The shop keeper must not be in the shop to rob them blind without having to pay for it.

Last edited by Xerxes712 on Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:55 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Glad that pickpocketing works for you. And thanks for tips for killing NPC's w/o becoming wanted.. There was a time I really needed ~600 point to level up, but there was not a single spider, rat, goblin, or cultists at the explored territoty to kill for me.. I wish I knew your tactics then!

BTW, I am playing still somewhere in the middle of the game and playing a thief character. So no incinerate, just a poisoned bow for me . BTW, is there a "deadlier" (then that in the shop of human city) bow further in the game? just "yes" or "no" would be enuf - don't wanna spoilers
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:41 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:58 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Ok people, I’ve read this instructions countless times (I got blisters on my bump), but still the baggy icon doesn’t appear. What’s the minimum of stealth you have to have, so something appear??
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:33 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Armor types can lower stealth.

Just checking that if you are not wearing armor that lowers stealth skill (many do).

Minimum stealth to pickpocket is 50. Beyond that I think maybe higher allows bigger things to be stolen (only got a fishing pole off Gruel) or easier to hang back while stealing.

I still could not steal the helmet off Miguel the blacksmith even with stealth at 105. Just has a quest mark to it. I had intiution at over 100, and still a question mark. I tried to swipe stuff off the sheriff -seems that armor can not be stolen.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:53 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I believe that items with question marks cannot be stolen because you either don't have enuf stealth skill yet, or it is by desigh not to break some quests..

As for being able to pickpocket.. I remember getting a message telling me that I can pickpocket, but I don't remember what was my stealth skill then.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:38 am