Golden Land - a new BG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Golden Land - a new BG?

After my hopes went down about Lionheart, I decided to look for an isometric RPG similar to BG. This is the game I found, Golden Land. It seems to be an isometric 2d (3d?) turn-based RPG.

http://www.goldenland-rpg.com/html/eng/dmove.htm

Although it's being made by a Russian company, if you download trailer #2 you can clearly see English dialogs, so I'd think they are aiming for a simultaneous international release.

What do you think?
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:24 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

aye, quite a bit of us are looking forward to goldenland to satisfy our BG craving ... it looks alot like an infinity engine game and sounds like an engaging enough story and epic gameworld... and im pretty sure it will have an international release just not sure if its simultaneous

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:51 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Goldenland looks good. I should however point you to a game called Sacred. The graphics rock and everything looks good. Its 2d RPG. BTW, what is wrong with Lionheart? I missed something...

http://web125.hercules.sprintweb.de/sacredenglish/

http://www.ascaron.com/gb/gb_sacred/gb_sacred_frameset_ie.html

Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:08 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I will probably buy Sacred, although it surely wont be anything like those IE games as it is more action oriented.

Goldenland looks pretty promising.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:19 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

RPG Codex have done an interview and some features on Goldenland and I agree - it looks the goods. I'm looking forward to the TB combat over Sacred's RT action.

Restricted Area is another one. It's RT but I like the look of the SF setting.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:53 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Sacred looks like a better diablo 2 imho ... or atleast looks alot like it ... its gonna rock though...

i heard the reason lionhearts stinks so much is the combat... and some bigger issues i cant remember

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:44 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Small problem, they do not have a publisher yet
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:12 am
Dinzy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowWolfe

i heard the reason lionhearts stinks so much is the combat... and some bigger issues i cant remember

??
The only bit of Lionheart people have played has been the demo. It really makes no sense to judge a game based on a quickly thrown together demo that only featured combat. Sure the combat may not seem very exciting but the demo did not feature it in its true setting, ie with leveling up and getting new skills/weapons. People are just bitching because it is a clickfest with seemingly nothing else to do.

My only point is that you shouldn't decide a game sucks because some whiner posted a complaint on a message board. When real reviews come in then you can start saying this game probably sucks ( or rocks) because most peoiple seem to think so after an in depth playing of it.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:19 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

i tend to not agree with reviewers more then the people playing it, itself ... i have tried the demo and to be honest the combat was far less then good ... it still has promise but if they want people to be excited about it ... then they should make the demo better. (ie use combat in its own setting)

anways im allowed to hold any opinion i like ...
and i say the combat sucks so far

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:32 am
Dhruin

The Lionheart demo is not perfect but Reflexive didn't have the time to build a demo from scratch and just re-populated a couple of existing areas.

As for the combat, I think the biggest problem is that a lot of Fallout fans feel that since Lionheart uses SPECIAL it should be TB. I quite like TB myself and can sympathise with this point of view. Still, Reflexive were clear all along they were aiming for action combat. If you like RT action combat, I can't imagine what's wrong with it - I thought it was much more interesting than Diablo 2.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:08 am
Dinzy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowWolfe
i tend to not agree with reviewers more then the people playing it, itself ... i have tried the demo and to be honest the combat was far less then good ... it still has promise but if they want people to be excited about it ... then they should make the demo better. (ie use combat in its own setting)

anways im allowed to hold any opinion i like ...
and i say the combat sucks so far

I did not say you weren't allowed to hold an opinion, rather I was saying not to count Lionheart out because you "heard" it sucked. The statement I quoted seemed to imply that you were forming an opinion based off of people whining about the demo. If you played it and think it sucks then fine.

And I wasn't saying that reviews are the only way to judge a game, just that full reviews are a much better indication of a game's quality than what others have said about a demo. I base this on the fact that people on mesage boards ar far more likely to complain about something rather than say anything good. My impression was that people who are TB fans hate the battle system because it is RT and they are the ones voicing most of the complaints.

As far as I'm concerned I don't mind a clickfest if its part of an engaging game. Whether or not Lionheart fits this bill is still up in the air at htis point.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:52 pm