Logic!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

Logic!

This topic concerns all Gothic parts and sequels. 1/2+Addon and 3. If their is anyway it can be shared between them all it would be nice to be done.
Ok. Now, in all Gothic games, you can acutally lure an orc warrior or shaman alone so you can fight him alone. May i ask, isn't that logically a wrong thing, as Gothic 3 tells us that Orcs are just another species who have intelligince etc.. That can also happen with enemy humans. Don't you think it is not logical for someone to head to a man with a fearsome armor and great sword alone knowing that this armored dude can beat him in no time. Or those NPCs are all mindless, i mean in my experience no matter how weak you are, luring solves the trick.

In short: Don't you think that an orc going alone to face a skillful warrior is somehow foolish. Why doesn't he collect his party and go with them? Same happens with all animals and humans..
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:30 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Re: Logic!

Try luring an orc in Gothic 2. It's nearly impossible to not alarm his nearby companions. That's just the way the gameplay changed a little.

Furthermore, even Gothic 1 stated that orcs are intelligent, having a culture nearly as old as the humans'.

Perhaps the orc-clans in Gothic 1 and 2 are the only evil ones - thinking of the Sleeper and the Undead Dragon, I'd say that not every orc is per se evil. The war against the humans seems just a territority quarrel to me.
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:38 pm
muteki13
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well you can single out orcs who are chasing you by listening for the sound of them sheathing their weapons and then stopping. The orcs who put away their swords will continue to walk away, but those who haven't will come after you. I think that's more of a trick then the way they do things. Although I get the impression that orcs do underestimate humans.

Of course you are asking for logic in a mythical land under siege by dragons.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:59 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

Ow lol. What about the fellow humans then ?
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:00 am
muteki13
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

They are just stupid.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:46 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

i dont know really .. seems alright to me ..
orcs are suppose to be intelligent .. but from what we can see in their culture they barely know blacksmiths works .. weapons all jagged and rusty
they're kinda like a early form of humans

as for the humans .. kinda makes sense too .. if groupe of bandits were standing around by their hideout and someone showed up why have everyone rush over and deal whit him ? that would leave the hideout open for any other guys nearby wanting to rip the guys off ..
and you know bandits .. andways thinking they better then everyone .. so i guess they're just thinking .. "i can take him .. bring it on"

and beasts are pretty much first com first serve so who ever spots the pray first would run after it as long as they're not hunting anyway
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:38 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Let's be realistic. One man does not change the outcome of a war, not in the middle of the field. Maybe as a leader, or tactician, but not as a soldier. Our hero would, realistically, be killed by the first pack of orcs he met, as they would hunt him together, and kill him without breaking a sweat.

Of course, that is if you want the entirely realistic story. We want the fantasy tale, in which the hero can indeed win against the ultimate evil all by himself. In reality, that would take an army to achieve.

So no, it's not realistic that they fight him by himself, but neither is the rest of the story or the game world, hehe.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:27 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

My Idea was that luring should be limited a little so it is harder to play the game. Like a man calls those who are in 5 metres around him or something like that
But, our hero is the chosen of balanace, fire, etc... And if their ever will be someone alike in real world with swords and shields. It maybe done without an army lol
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:46 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

They do alert the nearest, just not the whole camp. Which would make it impossible to play, not hard(like the orcs sorrounding the castle, you'd get 100 orcs after you at once, hehe).

Still, according to what I've read the AI is supposed to be "smarter" now, so we might very well see creatures who act more together.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:46 pm