Baldur's Gate 3 (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Agreed with bjon045...

I also have been playing since the late 80's and early 90's. I hate it when people dont know, or ignore the good old classics. Whenever I say Ultima, people think of Ultima Online or Ultima9. Very wrong...

I also agree with the games you counted and want to add Full Throttle there.

Lastly, I liked the BG series, but the story wasnt that grand as of Fallout or Ultima series. I think if you get older and more experienced with many different games, yor expectations rise up dramatically. Thus its harder for us to get satisfied or even enjoy newer games. I remember spending months playing the Ultima series, but I played a newer rpg game, like Neverwinter Nights or Morrowind, (I know there are newer ones) for a couple weeks. And for some other new non-rpgs, like FEAR kept me busy for 2 days or so.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:27 pm
Role-Player
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think Baldur's Gate succeeded in giving an idea of an epic campaign in the Dungeons and Dragons settings, complete with a cast of characters and situations that appealed to many gamers and fans of high fantasy settings; although I felt as a game it was mostly a disappointment. For the most part, game progression felt very linear and forced, the combat was disappointingly passive and with very little to add to the models it clearly was based on (Darklands and X-Com: Apocalypse) and roleplaying was very minute, what with most quests being terribly one sided and simplistic, and most choices being superficial. And personally, the Highlanderesque background story wasn't very appealing.

It's understandable why Fallout caused more of an impact for some gamers. The post-apocalyptic setting, while not unique, had not been used as much as medieval or high fantasy settings. Choices and consequences had much more meaning and impact to the gameworld, there were ample opportunities to roleplay, most quests had multiple ways of being solved. Combat was also more methodical, which can be a blessing or a curse depending on who you ask, although turnbased inherently has the advantage of allowing players to gauge the results of character actions in combat on a step-by-step basis instead of having to pause every couple of seconds to read a battle data window.

All comparisons aside, they were clearly distinct titles which suceeded on different levels.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:51 pm
necro hellraiser

browser games are the best

http://spielwelt14.monstersgame.net/?ac=vid&vid=28014736
Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:23 am

Lucky Strike

Play Browser games

http://spielwelt14.monstersgame.net/?ac=vid&vid=28014736
Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:26 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8