Kill a Black Troll - When? --without cheating or bugs?--
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Kill a Black Troll - When? --without cheating or bugs?--

I searched the forums for an answer on how to kill a Black Troll but all I could find were a couple of suggestions based on bugs. After getting swatted around like a rag doll about twenty times I decided that for whatever reason, the bugs weren't going to work in my game.
Can anyone tell me what level I will have to be before I can take on a Black Troll, and or if there is some way to even the odds? (A "Shrink Monster" scroll sure would be handy - is there one in G2?)
Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:07 am
dutch311
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think that if you're a mage you can make a shrink monster rune, but i'm sure there's a scroll around.

Keep in mind a black troll is one of the toughest monsters in the game, make sure you are a high enough level.
Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:41 am
Darth Mader
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yes, there definitely is a "shrink monsters" scroll in GII (otherwise you wouldn't be able to forge a "shrink monsters"-rune), but I don't remeber where I found it or how much mana was required to cast the spell.

But the black troll is not that hard to beat, because he's very slow. When you approach him, he'll scream and put his hands in the air before attacking you, which gives you enough time to run past him and stab his back. Just take care always to stay behind the troll. It's much like killing the "small" trolls, it just takes more time.
I don't know if you consider this as "bugusing" - imho it is just exploitation of the monster's achilles heel.
Anyway, I encountered the b.t. at the end of chapter one. Though I was a mage (and thus not all too trained in STR and DEX) I killed him using the rapier without being thrown though the air just once...

Since I've never faced the English version of Gothic or Gothic II, I want to apologize for bumpy translations...
Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:06 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

If you don't know where to find Shrink Monster spell scroll you can always get strong then strafe around troll and hit it. Do this until he is dead. Then rip the skin off of him and give it to Bosper.

@dutch311

(You are the first one i saw to use one of the avatars i made ...)

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:29 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

You'll get a quest from Raoul (mercenary) to get the hide of a black troll, finish that quest first before you beat him down take the hide back and sell it to bosper (if you're his appentice).
Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:01 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

How to kill a troll...

Killing trolls in this game is tricky, whether it's a regular troll or a black troll. But if you know what to do, it's theoretically possible to kill a troll with a level 1 character using a heavy branch.

Position yourself where you can see the troll, but not be so close for the troll to see you and begin charging. Save your game.

Now, draw your weapon and run straight at him. When you are quite literally right in front of him, start running around him in circles. You might want to just run around him in circles a bit to get the hang of it.

When you are at the troll's backside, you can take a swing or two at him. By the second swing, the troll will be dangerously close to facing you again, so keep running so that you are behind him, keeping as close to him as possible.

Sometimes, when you're running around behind him, the troll will then turn toward you in the opposite direction. When that happens, you reverse your direction too.

Get behind him, take one or two whacks (don't get greedy by trying to take a 3rd whack at him), and keep circling, while staying as close to the troll as you can.

Depending on your weapon, this could quite possibly take a long time. But I killed the troll at level 5 with a weapon who's damage rating was 12. The black troll literally took me like 5 to 8 real-time minutes... it takes some stamina because after you've been whacking him for that long, you know that all the troll has to do is hit you just one time and it's over... but don't give up.

While I was getting used to the technique I described above, the first troll I ran in, circled him, hitting him one or two times on the backside, and when I had diminshed about 25% of his health, I ran away far enough so that the troll gave up. Then I saved my game. Then I ran back, repeated this process until it was dead.

Hope that helps, and best of all, no cheating.
Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:55 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

2 or three large fireballs does it on the black troll. But once strong enough, they aren't hard to kill face to face. But even at high levels, he takes a good bite out of you when he hits. BTW, I once got that quest in ch 2 and didn't finish it til ch 5, I don't think there's a time limit on it.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:56 pm
yeberion
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

the easiest way is to go up on the ledge to the left inside his lil cave and stand behind the rock, this way he cant hit u but u can hit him, if your a wpn user then i suggest you use the orc slayer on him unless u can use the dragon slicer it really depends on ur strength, the orc slayer can be found in the pyramid temple and the dragon slicer in a cave near the circle of the sun (head of into the forest to the left b4 the BT). If your a mage id prolly tackle him when ur a higher circle.
Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:30 am
Fasttrak
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I was in chapter three when the obnoxious rogue from Onans farm challenged me to kill it. So I head over there to see how tough this sucker was. My guy is only a level 16 Paladin using a paltry chain mace. I guess I got lucky cause there is a real simple trick, get in close quarters to the beast and run around to it's back, three swings and run around again; rinse and repeat for a very long time:-)
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:28 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Being a master thief, i stole a shrink monster scroll, i had no magics training,

I stood straight in front of the black troll then used the scroll, as it shrunk under a beam of white light, i then armed my simple short bow and killed it with 1 arrow, the black troll is impervious to arrows (-1 in its stats) but after using "shrink", prot' from weapons goes from 75 to 7, fire from 100 to 10, magic from 100 to 10, but arrows goes to zero! , just a tiny single arrow and
wham! - - - then in its cave there is a good blade and a smart ring.

(must go and thief a few more of those fantastic scrolls)
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 pm
Spiro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I finally went after the black troll in chapter five as a merc. I hacked it into little bits with no trouble at all.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:13 am
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Wow,

Thanks for all the suggestions people. I was having trouble getting around behind the guy, so I guess I need to get better timing/practice. I'm currently at level 13 in chapt. 2. One of the (I felt) *bugs* I was referring to was the idea of jumping up into a spot that the troll couldn't hit me in. I'm certainly not opposed to using techniques like that - I just couldn't get it to work in my game!
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:55 pm
Donut of Doom
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

To get behind him, just run right up to him - it's easiest to do it when he's doing his roar-of-challenge deal. Then, stick as close as you possibly can to him, and strafe around him in circles. I once read someone describe it as doing the same thing to the troll as the goblins do to you - be really annoying by running too fast to hit. Hope that helps.
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:48 am
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The Troll is down! The Troll is down!!

Okay people,

I ran up behind the Black Troll and spanked his fat hairy butt!! Being quite proud of myself, I decided to go and kill every Troll in the new world. Unfortunately it seems that due to their smaller size, regular Trolls move to quickly to get around, and stay, behind them. Oh well..
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:26 pm
Darth Mader
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Not at all - it is also possible to stay behind the smaller trolls' backs.
And it doesn't take so much time to kill them...

Since I've never faced the English version of Gothic or Gothic II, I want to apologize for bumpy translations...
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:26 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next