Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
You can't feel the pain (complaint about real-time combat)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
SandyG

You can't feel the pain (complaint about real-time combat)

Last night I was almost killed by a flying monster and was actually killed by a little fish while playing Morrowind. It's all because of one small problem that keeps coming up in real-time combat games --- you can't feel the pain! There you are just moving along and all of a sudden you hear something and see your hit points dropping. You attempt to look around in every direction to see what's killing you. Sometimes you find out in time and sometimes you don't. This is not the first game where this happened nor will it be the last.

My thoughts are that this weakness of real-time combat makes the game less realistic rather than more realistic. In real life, if something was biting my left leg, I'd feel it. I'd know that something was biting my left leg. In a CRPG, all I know is I'm getting hurt and then there's the race to look around and find the source of the problem in time before I'm killed.

My solution is to add some sort of reflex command to real-time combat. Add a very minor form of autocombat. Take that example of a monster biting my left leg. Let's say there exists an "X" command for reflex action. I see my hit points dropping and press "X". My character automatically faces the monster and does a parry. That's all it does, the rest is then up to me with normal game play. At least now, I'd know where that monster is as I'm looking at it. A feature like this makes the game slightly more rather than less realistic. In real life, I'd most likely reflex to something biting my leg. Why can't I do it in a CRPG?
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:02 pm

DzD
Unknown
Unknown

That would be great. In some action games like Rengade you see something red on your screen when you get shoot. Then you know where it is coming from.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:08 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I don't like extra junk on the screen in an RPG... like arrows telling where the attack is from (unless it's off screen... then it's down right handy to have). I think the simplest solution to first person games is to instantly face whoever attacked you, like Sandy said. It's not unrealistic at all.

"Uhhh... being... killed. Where? Who? Must spin... in circles.... where? ARRRGGHHHH!"

I only want to see that when an attacker is invisible.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:57 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Good idea Sandy! I really hate that too, it's very unrealistic and frustrating.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sun May 05, 2002 2:59 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I only played it for a couple hours, and I am certainly not endorsing it, but Dark Ages of Camelot has that feature. It will say "SoAndSo bit you on your leg!" or something to that effect. I hope that means people are trying to get more of that realism into the play.

-vaticide
Post Sun May 05, 2002 3:18 pm
HolyWarrior

the solution.

...and that's why I stick to turn-based combat.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:40 am

Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I don't like turn based combat, too dull. I like to have the option though for really hard combat. I like the way you could play Arcanum and M&M IX (sort of) in real time and just switch to turn based if the fights were too hard.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:56 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I love the ability to switch to turn based combat on the fly. There are times when I want to enjoy the puzzle aspect of a game and do not feel able to deal with the demands of real time - too late, too much beer, a cast etc.

I really like Sandy's idea though. I have had my fair share of "what the *bleep* is attacking me deaths ... and am trying to avoid adding to the total This sounds like a very good addition (I especially hate small things you have to "look down" to see).
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:50 pm