Refused Cantar a favour with no consequences
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Refused Cantar a favour with no consequences

Not sure if anyone has done that, but here is how I went around the moral issue here. Without reading any spoilers I accepted Canthar's pass, but later ran into the farmer who sold me the clothes. So basically I did not need the pass to enter the city, because I told the guards I went to see a smith.
After a few days I ran into Canthar sitting by the marketplace and he asked me for a favour.
By this time I already told Pablo that he should ask the bandits who the person on the picture was and those turned out to be dead...
So I told Canthar to .... off and he has not bothered me since and sold me some goods later.
I only learned about his quest from a spoiler here after the fact and glad I refused. The 500 xp points is better earned at the cost of a couple ork than grief of a nice girl like Sarah.
Also, a cutlass can be found by the palladin ship on the shore, where a lizard walks back and forth, so there is no need to frame Sarah to obtain a good weapon.
There is anohter place where a nice weapon can be found in C2: it is a second gate in ork palisade from the entrance into the VoM. Take out a couple ork warriors and the Inquisition mace is yours: 50/60 if I am not mistaken.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:41 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

The consequences come with time...

You will see
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:14 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Not sure what you mean, considering that I studied the walkthrough by now and it appears that Canthar can only make noise if he overhears the dialogue between me and Lord Andre, that in its turn can only be initiated by Pablo telling Lord Andre that the Char is a former convict from the bandit's mugshot.

I simply do not see how this may happen now after I told Pablo I had no clue.

How long does it take Pablo to report to Lord Andre? Am I missing somethigng or does C3 need to start for that? I was under impression that Pablo tells the Char that he is going to see Lord Andre and he has not told me that.

I would like to find out if anyone had tried to refuse to do a favour under the same circumstances and what happened...

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
The consequences come with time...

You will see

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:34 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I always kill Canthar inside the jail. Most of the time, the guard just stands there and watch.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:00 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I kill canthar the moment he mentions being anything less than a Gentleman to the ladies.

I have no idea about the Lord Andre stuff, I never had a problem with that (I most likely havent gotten that far in the game yet). What happened to me was that after I had offended canthar, a while later all of the merchants suddenly refused to trade with me.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:37 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

My Char does not consider that a good enough reason for a murder, but I will wait and see. From what I learned from the spoilers, my solution suits my Char perfectly. Needless to say that I like to trade with Sarah better and would not like to see her table taken over.

quote:
I kill canthar the moment he mentions being anything less than a Gentleman to the ladies.

I have no idea about the Lord Andre stuff, I never had a problem with that (I most likely havent gotten that far in the game yet). What happened to me was that after I had offended canthar, a while later all of the merchants suddenly refused to trade with me.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:51 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Last time I played the game, I didnt kill Canthar. But the guards decided he needed to die anyway and killed him for me.

The man is destined to die. You will see
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:38 pm
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

but it still sux if you put him in jail because later you'll have to pay a nasty fine if you'll want to trade with merchants again but I didn't think about killing him before that, hm...
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:07 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I have no idea if killing him actually prevents the merchants from not trading with you.

I killed Kanthar when he was in the hotel. But his corpse mysteriously appeared at the merchants where he usualy stands the next day...

So maybe he's just "pretending" to be dead, and his corpse is gonna just creep closer and closer to the merchants each day, until he can slip them a note.
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:13 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

This is a known thingy with Gothic in general: the NPC corpses do not disappear and continue to 'live' the life of the NPC after death. Not sure if the script is broken for Canthar, from the postings here it appears that it is, once the traders stop dealing with the Char even if there is no one to tell them so.

quote:
I have no idea if killing him actually prevents the merchants from not trading with you.

I killed Kanthar when he was in the hotel. But his corpse mysteriously appeared at the merchants where he usualy stands the next day...

So maybe he's just "pretending" to be dead, and his corpse is gonna just creep closer and closer to the merchants each day, until he can slip them a note.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:28 pm
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:

lol that can't be true it's a funny, but possible tought indeed

it's nothing unussual in gothic that corpses, hm, "continue their life" after they die
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:08 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

If you do not put Canthar away, then he'll later kill Sarah anyway and take her stall. If you put him away, he'll come back, sets other merchants on you, kills Sarah and takes over her stall anyway.

Whether you accept his pass or not, matters not. You can buy the clothes for 10 gold coins more and go to Canthar in farmer clothes at the start, and he will think that you're a farmer and wont give you the lines about the pass. There are different possibilities, however, you will see the results only in CH3, not before. In general, by CH3, he'll be rid of Sarah, stand in her stall and in most cases, has set the other merchants against you.

Thus, in general, I always send him to jail, then go to jail and tell to guards that I want to see the prisoners, then enter Canthar's cell and smack him down for good, and forever, putting him away like a mangy dog. That solves the issue.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:39 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I did not realize that CH3 triggers this part.

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
If you do not put Canthar away, then he'll later kill Sarah anyway and take her stall. If you put him away, he'll come back, sets other merchants on you, kills Sarah and takes over her stall anyway.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:53 pm