stuttering video and dialog on transitions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

stuttering video and dialog on transitions

The game itself runs fine....but between chapters when the "movie"/slide show is running and there's narration....there's massive slow downs. It's so bad that it stutters several times in a single word. It's excruciating to have to sit through.

It's kind of odd since the game is playing just fine on my computer though. (and the intro movie was great...no slow downs at all) If anyone has any advice as to how I can tweak things to help out...I'm all ears.

System:
Compaq presario 2715 laptop pentium III mobility with 512K cache @ 1.13 Ghz, 512mb ddr ram, 16mb mobility radeon (will be installing the 32mb module soon). The laptop has the ATI driver for the video and there are some open GL settings I can change...but I don't have a clue as to whether it'd help or not. I don't think there's an updated driver for the moblity radeon (M6 I think) as I've been to ATI's website and haven't seen one available for download.

Game:
running at 800X600 resolution with 16mb textures (not 16mb compatible textures) But I started the game with the 32mb textures and the game ran fine though...just the slideshow messed up.

So....why do the between chapter slide shows stutter so bad when the game and the intro movie are just fine?

Thanks for any help.
Ceci
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:11 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Can't you skip them w/ a left click?
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:13 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Bit of the same problem here only it isn't as pronounced as you descibe. I suspect the problem lies with my aging TNT2 card. I'm going to upgrade or just get a new computer. I'd suggest you upgrade your video card.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:17 pm
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
Can't you skip them w/ a left click?

Well, I thought there might be something potentialy interesting in them. But if they're just eye candy, I'll try skipping them just like I eventually skipped the intro slide show that runs after character creation. (it locked up my pc and initiated a complete reboot the first time I started the game. So I had to recreate my character.)

Ceci
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:31 pm
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Bit of the same problem here only it isn't as pronounced as you descibe. I suspect the problem lies with my aging TNT2 card. I'm going to upgrade or just get a new computer. I'd suggest you upgrade your video card.

I know it sounds bad, but I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. I was starting to wonder. I'm glad I have a laptop that can upgrade the video memory. I can't change out the card, but I can change out the memory from a 16mb module to a 32mb module. I ordered the part from compaq and they just shipped it out. I should have it in a few days. I may repost and let everyone know whether it helped and by how much.

Ceci
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:38 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I get the loading screen sound looping as well. It's either the game code or my Sound Blaster Live (which is the source of most of my problems).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:46 am
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

I have the same issues, major stuttering during the movies between chapters and the opening movie. But I've upgraded everything (ATI Radeon 8500 w/128MB, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 512MB Ram...)

It's not the hardware...or if it is, there is a tweak that I haven't figured out. My cdrom is 3 years old, but still, it's X52 speed, so that can't be it. My hard drive is definitely working hard when they play so I'm guessing it is NOT using the peripherals properly...bad programming on the developer's side.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:18 pm
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Tres Weird. <shrug> I guess I just hit a key to skip those puppies. No reason to keep suffering.

Ceci
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:54 pm
Nazgul
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I used to have that problem. I was using an old TNT2 card, and then i upgraded to a Geforce4, and the stuttering stopped. Theres no more problems for me, besides multiplayer...
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:47 pm
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

extra vram didn't help

...just thought I'd let everyone know. I just installed the 32mb upgrade vram for my laptop, but it didn't help the stuttering in the movies. Apparently the mobility radeon just doesn't have enough oomph for a slide show. Go figure...I really wouldn't have thought that *that* would have been so difficult to display.

Anyway, the 3d parts of the program run fine. So any other folks out there with a laptop with a 16mb mobility radeon...the game runs ok with it. Just skip the slide shows/non 3d movies. The framerates can get a bit slow sometimes, but I've still found it to be playable.

Ceci
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:46 am
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have heard of Radeon cards having problems with the video, I was pretty sure the first patch addressed most of it.

Either way, you miss a little bit, but it's not fatal.

And it seems Brandi is having the same problem with the Radeon, so maybe that is the key. A lot of games being relased seem to not like the Radeon cards. *shrugs*
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:05 pm